Review Rapsodo Mobile Launch Monitor Review

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Give the PGA Tour a watch during the early days of a tournament week and you will see players up and down the driving range using launch monitors. These monitors are used throughout the tour to help fine-tune the best players globally and are also used in fitting locations to help golfers find the best club/shaft/ball combination for their game. Now, those Trackman and Foresight machines are uber-powerful devices that cost upwards of $20,000. Something that for the average golfer is a difficult financial pill to swallow. We have seen some more affordable launch monitors come to the marketplace, but those come with several question marks, including how the data is captured and how accurate it is. Enter Rapsodo with their MLM(Mobile Launch Monitor), a device that has earned quite a bit of...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
The MLM should be a big hit with golfers because those numbers are pretty darn accurate and exceeds expectations based on the cost. I’d guess the minor carry differences comes from the lack of spin but it really isn’t all that bad

Really enjoyed this always love seeing a device meet claims.

I own the MLM and it works as advertised. Great review. I think with new applications of tech (in this case, a portable *affordable* radar launch monitor), folks first reaction is to view it with extreme skepticism and sometimes scorn. But this device delivers. For the average golfer who doesn’t want to shell out huge $ on a top of the line system, it’s a great option. My only complaint, the calibration task is maddeningly tedious.

Great review and a lot of fun tech packed into a small product at a good price point!

• Staff
I own the MLM and it works as advertised. Great review. I think with new applications of tech (in this case, a portable *affordable* radar launch monitor), folks first reaction is to view it with extreme skepticism and sometimes scorn. But this device delivers. For the average golfer who doesn’t want to shell out huge $ on a top of the line system, it’s a great option. My only complaint, the calibration task is maddeningly tedious.

Right? That process which they say is easy and takes a few minutes is anything but.

• Staff
The MLM should be a big hit with golfers because those numbers are pretty darn accurate and exceeds expectations based on the cost. I’d guess the minor carry differences comes from the lack of spin but it really isn’t all that bad

Exactly. Doing side by side was fun because I wasn't really chasing numbers. Just swinging, because I wanted to see how close the bad shots were too if that makes any sense. What was cool was seeing how closely mapped they were on the apps too. Gives major props to this system.

This is the type of device that I have been holding out for. I like the IOS interface and it makes me feel a lot better about dropping that kind of money with it showing numbers in line with the GC2. This is something I will use a lot over the winter to stay sharp with yardages and my swing.

Right? That process which they say is easy and takes a few minutes is anything but.

I literally almost gave up and returned the thing!

Also thanks to @ddec for taking the time to put this through the paces for the forum. I definitely helps me feel easier about looking into picking one up.

Exactly. Doing side by side was fun because I wasn't really chasing numbers. Just swinging, because I wanted to see how close the bad shots were too if that makes any sense. What was cool was seeing how closely mapped they were on the apps too. Gives major props to this system.

This is one of my favorite reviews you have done because of the application. I think Rapsodo is onto something here and when I compare that to something like Voice Caddie and even more expensive devices, it's night and day with the accuracy you saw.

At the moment this is of zero interest to me, but once they get the Android version up and running I may take another look and see if it looks to be of any use

Nice review, and impressive unit. I went with the mevo personally a few months back, android phone so Rapsodo was out, and mevo has a apex height metric. Height is something I am focused on and was interested in that particularly in a device.

Looks like the graphic in write up had a ball flight trail, wonder how hard it would be for them to incorp apex height.

@ddec , Sorry, I have questions:
1. So, I read through your review (Fantastic, as always) and maybe I missed it however what is this like to set up when you get the range?
2. I saw that you use your phone's camera, do you have to get it just perfect behind you? Would you need to have some type of holder for the phone?
3. I assume that you would have to pick up your phone every time you wanted to review a shot, so best to hit a few and then pick it up?
4. Would this work inside like in a dome or is there too many balls flying around to be effective?

Nice read @ddec
On the driver/iron distance thing, could it be once it gets to a certain distance than it might not read properly compared to the GC? Meaning after 200 yards it may be off a bit? As you can see with the irons inside of 200 it was pretty close comparison. Either way it’s not a lot to fret over unless your wanting absolute pinpoint. I’m curious about the sun factor, and the sun beating down on the face of the phone, is this more of a morning or evening type use? And directional on the range? This to me seems like a very good option, mobile option, price factoring, I like it, idk maybe I’ll pick one up gently used on eBay next spring.

I only have one question - How was the shot-to-shot accuracy when compared to the GC2? NOT the averages. Actually two. How was it on mishits as well, overall and shot to shot?

@ddec , Sorry, I have questions:
1. So, I read through your review (Fantastic, as always) and maybe I missed it however what is this like to set up when you get the range?
2. I saw that you use your phone's camera, do you have to get it just perfect behind you? Would you need to have some type of holder for the phone?
3. I assume that you would have to pick up your phone every time you wanted to review a shot, so best to hit a few and then pick it up?
4. Would this work inside like in a dome or is there too many balls flying around to be effective?

Excellent questions my man.

The device itself acts as a stand. I'm the pictures you see that little channel on the red part? That acts as the cradle for your phone. Flip the top of the Rapsodo up, set your phone and there and you are good. Assuming you've already connected the Bluetooth, which always connected at an impressive speed.

Set up 6-8 feet behind you. There is an option to turn on an alignment line which I opted for. It made sure things were centered so the readings were good and the video would be somewhat consistent.

I only ever picked up my phone to change clubs. There is a slight delay after you hit a shot, maybe like 3 seconds. Enough time to walk back and see the playback. If you wanted to dive in to more data immediately than I would suggest hitting 10-15 shots and then picking it up and sorting through.

It says it now works indoors and has a net mode, but my phone was not compatible with it. For net mode though same type of setup 6-8 behind and needs about 8 feet from point of contact to the net.

Nice review Dean. Nice to see a quality launch monitor at a price point that is affordable to the average guy/gal.

I only have one question - How was the shot-to-shot accuracy when compared to the GC2? NOT the averages. Actually two. How was it on mishits as well, overall and shot to shot?

I can get you that. I have a Dr appointment this morning but should be able to get you some of that info later.

Everything I've heard about this has been pretty positive, except the exclusive IOS part. Hard to believe that in this day and age anyone serious about a providing a personal high-tech device would limit their market by excluding Android.

Great review! This seems like a pretty cool little gadget. I might have to look into it.

Nice review! This is almost at the ponder stage.

Does the shot direction tracking show whether it's a hook or slice?

Does the phone have to be next to the device or can it be in a pocket or lying on something else like your bag?

What's the operating temp for the device? Will it overheat on a hot summer day in the sun like an iPhone will?

Thanks for doing that great review.

Ca it measure spin?

Back