Golf Balls in the Fall - Color Conversation

I see yellow a little better in the air than white but I play white this time of year because there are so many yellow leaves on the ground.

This was my first year going back to a yellow ball in probably 6 years but I'm the same.

I more easily track yellow in the air but I just switched back to white. Way easier for me to see amongst leaves.

Definitely move back to whitebthisntime of year. There are too many leaves in the PNW this time of year and the colors make it rally hard to find colored balls.

I’ve moved from a yellow TP5 to a cheaper, softer white ball. If they get lost, less wallet pain.

Crazily, I’m considering the light blue Vice Pro Soft :ROFLMAO:
My buddy once played a found blue ball. It was impossible to see in the air, and pretty hard to see in the rough. I found a matte purple ball a couple weeks ago, and had my wife play it. That ball was also impossible to see. I couldn't even pick up the ball off the club face. I've been playing optic yellow balls, and I can easily follow them in the air, and it is hit or miss on the ground. I wish they made matte red balls in a urethane cover.

... I think a high visibility fall ball would be a marketing coup for a company looking to capture market share. I'd think it would be easy enough to do. Maybe it would be so ugly even I wouldn't play it. But that would be really, really ugly ...
Agree 100%. I'm buying as soon as ANYONE releases their premium tour ball with a cover specifically designed to stand out at this time of year.

Last edited:
I usually play more yellow this time of year. All of our fallen leaves are brown so no issue with blending in with them.

All I know is that I learned many years ago not to play orange balls in the fall on a leaf-covered course. Never lost so many balls in one day in my life!

We don't have a lot of deciduous trees in the desert so it's less of an issue here, I'll stick with optic yellow through the fall/winter. If I played where there were more trees shedding leaves, I'd probably switch to white.

The only change I am considering is going to the Vice Pro Plus ball for winter use

I will still use my usual Pro V1x or TP5x Pix 2.0 if I am playing a really nice course and the conditions are decent, failing that it will be the winter ball for me.

This will probably happen from November but maybe earlier depending on the course conditions

I'll stick with yellow or white

Strictly white for me. I can't use any of my Truvis, they just blend in too much. My wife's lite pink balls are also next to impossible to find if they miss the fairway.

I play yellow all year long. Interesting some yellow balls (Callaway ERC) stand out more to my eye than others (Bridgestone)...

I'm with @Jman on this. I usually play a yellow ball, but in the fall with all the leaves, I tend to gravitate back to the white ball just to hopefully be able to find it among the leaves.

color-wheel-worksheet-red-blue-600w-242513875.jpg

Might try some blue colors but I have no idea who all makes them in blue. Will have to research.

I have gravitated towards all yellow balls this season. I was playing the matte yellow e12 soft on Sunday. I had some difficulty locating the ball with all the leaves (in addition there was additional tree and branch debris around form a bad storm this week). Even with the leaves, I'm still going to play this ball for the remainder of the season.

Ooh red/green color blind is the most common. (y)
I'm not colorblind. I can clearly see them when I notice them, it's just that my brain doesn't pick them up when scanning.

here you go LOL

Might try some blue colors but I have no idea who all makes them in blue. Will have to research.

Vice makes one in soft blue, but I'm pretty sure I'd struggle to track it.

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 12.54.55 PM.png

This is the color I'd like to see in a urethane ball - preferably matte to minimize glare.

neon_blue_square_sticker-rdf78328899464e67b9b81f376eb28774_0ugmc_8byvr_540.jpg

I'm not colorblind. I can clearly see them when I notice them, it's just that my brain doesn't pick them up when scanning.
You may not be "classically" color blind, but have some tendencies is all. Very common.

"People with deuteranomaly and protanomaly are collectively known as red-green colour blind and they generally have difficulty distinguishing between reds, greens, browns and oranges. They also commonly confuse different types of blue and purple hues."

I'm strictly yellow now and honestly not a problem seeing a yellow ball in the leaves for me. However, I played with a guy last weekend who was hitting an orange matte ball that was absolutely impossible to see in the grass/leaves. It was a joke. I complained enough to him (as I was also wasting time every hole helping him find his ball in the fairway/light rough) that he switched to yellow.

You may not be "classically" color blind, but have some tendencies is all. Very common.

"People with deuteranomaly and protanomaly are collectively known as red-green colour blind and they generally have difficulty distinguishing between reds, greens, browns and oranges. They also commonly confuse different types of blue and purple hues."
Anytime I play with someone with those matte red balls we all end up looking for them over and over throughout the round in the rough. Also based on the number of these balls that people play I find an outsized number of them laying around in the rough. I can see them, they just stand out the very least of all ball colors in green grass. White stands out the most, then yellow to me. Matte colored balls are bad to as the glare from the sun often helps finding balls in deeper grass and matte balls don't have that.

Trust me I'm not color blind, I can see all the colors and I have and the test at a Dr, several times.

Anytime I play with someone with those matte red balls we all end up looking for them over and over throughout the round in the rough. Also based on the number of these balls that people play I find an outsized number of them laying around in the rough. I can see them, they just stand out the very least of all ball colors in green grass. White stands out the most, then yellow to me. Matte colored balls are bad to as the glare from the sun often helps finding balls in deeper grass and matte balls don't have that.

Trust me I'm not color blind, I can see all the colors and I have and the test at a Dr, several times.
A week or so ago, I found three of the matte red balls (same brand) during the same round. I assumed somebody somewhere ahead of me was having a bad day. :LOL:

Back