TaylorMade Releases P7MB, P7MC and P770 Irons

Is the 770 as forgiving as the Apex Pro?
Yeah, I don't have a ton of time in with them, but so far I want to say.. more.

I am counting the days until I get mine in... doubt I will have them before this weekend but small chance I get them in by the 23rd.

I slowed the process by sending in some bB&F ferrules to bling them out a little more, but not sure how much of a delay it really ended up being.

I am counting the days until I get mine in... doubt I will have them before this weekend but small chance I get them in by the 23rd.

I slowed the process by sending in some bB&F ferrules to bling them out a little more, but not sure how much of a delay it really ended up being.

And I got an email today saying they are hoping to ship my build by the end of this week, but might be early next week.... so fingers crossed I get them in hand before next weekend.

I have a set of 770s inbound.
Mostly for a winter experiment. I can't see them kicking the Pros out of the bag but who knows.

Kind of falling in love with the P770 long irons out there so far. Love the flight. I'm swapping shafts in mine this afternoon, because the tours really take off for me on the short irons and I can't really go after them in the long irons, but if I put an easy swing on them in the 770's the trajectory and distance are great. 242 near plug 3i off the tee, and a 4 and 2 5irons today into and across the wind that had perfect distance, carry, and stop. About 5' from their pitch marks. Love the small profile for something that launches pretty well.

Here's a vid from today that shows the flight I'm getting. 205 carry into a breeze and finished at 206.

I feel like when I get the shafts right I'll be able to lean into them if need be and still get them up enough, instead of flattening out.

Last edited:
Kind of falling in love with the P770 long irons out there so far. Love the flight. I'm swapping shafts in mine this afternoon, because the tours really take off for me on the short irons and I can't really go after them in the long irons, but if I put an easy swing on them in the 770's the trajectory and distance are great. 242 near plug 3i off the tee, and a 4 and 2 5irons today into and across the wind that had perfect distance, carry, and stop. About 5' from their pitch marks. Love the small profile for something that launches pretty well.

Here's a vid from today that shows the flight I'm getting. 205 carry into a breeze and finished at 206.

I feel like when I get the shafts right I'll be able to lean into them if need be and still get them up enough, instead of flattening out.

man that is such a smooth, effortless swing for producing so much distance!!!

I decided to go a different route - I was getting better results with another set, but the 770 5i was addicting to hit. Loved taking it off the tee on tight par 4s or into longer holes.

I decided to go a different route - I was getting better results with another set, but the 770 5i was addicting to hit. Loved taking it off the tee on tight par 4s or into longer holes.
What did you go with?

What did you go with?

T300, which I was fit for. Went the more forgiving route. I honestly think it was the shaft setup more than anything - just making more centered contact. Weirdly... except with that 5i. Feel like I could aim 100% where I wanted and end up there every time with that one.

Was going to pit them against each other this weekend but was within 10 feet more times than I'd been in years, so made the call. I might, at some point, pick up a set of these with the CTL in there.

T300, which I was fit for. Went the more forgiving route. I honestly think it was the shaft setup more than anything - just making more centered contact. Weirdly... except with that 5i. Feel like I could aim 100% where I wanted and end up there every time with that one.

Was going to pit them against each other this weekend but was within 10 feet more times than I'd been in years, so made the call. I might, at some point, pick up a set of these with the CTL in there.
Yeah, sounds like you can't beat those kinds of results. You probably don't need to do the battle between the two of them, but that definitely wouldn't stop me! :p

Yeah, sounds like you can't beat those kinds of results. You probably don't need to do the battle between the two of them, but that definitely wouldn't stop me! :p

It was a struggle but I had more birdies this weekend than I have in a long time. Ah well, my loss is another THPers gain :D

It was a struggle but I had more birdies this weekend than I have in a long time. Ah well, my loss is another THPers gain :D
And now you can say you've experienced the joy of shipping to Canada. Win win.

Look what showed up today. Checked them out for a couple minutes then dropped them off for some serious bendage.
20201020_153647.jpg

I have 6 rounds in now with the 770's. Any complaints I could offer would be minor. They look good, they feel good, they score good.

The long irons have been weapons from minute one and invaluable playing a combined 14,600 yards the last 2 rounds. I wouldn't call them hot, but across two different shafts they've had a pretty ideal launch and spin profile for great carry and controllable landing. I'm on the lower spin side of things in the long irons so I've been really impressed with this. I can't say I've heard someone gripe about a ballooning flight with a 3 or 4 iron often, so I don't imagine someone on the spinner side of things taking much issue with anything there. I've ditched my P790 UDI 2 for the P770 3 iron 1 strong without skipping a beat. I prefer the smaller head and the feel is much better.

Mid irons much of the same. Easy to get up and work both ways through the 7. Good distance for the lofts and pretty darn forgiving. Should be for the design, but it's impressed me for their size. You can tell what they are when you hit them too, but they're more soft that I expected.

I start to notice flight, feel off the face, and leading edge more as I get into the 8 iron, but this is where the minor in minor gripes comes in, and I have them about the majority of clubs in this number range because I've become really particular. Unless you have a pretty strong AofA or late release I don't think the soles would be worth worrying about much. Same with the flight for most. I kind of live on keeping the scoring clubs out of the air long though, and that's where I fight them just a little. CG maybe, but they still seem to want to get up and it seems to take a little more to keep them down. Low on the face doesn't feel quite as good as some peers, and I'd love a little prewear. I have no idea how small a percentage of golfers would or should care about that stuff, but I imagine it pretty small. And in the end I can still hit the shots I want for the most part. Comes down more to how it feels doing it I guess. Like I said, extremely minor.

I'll still go for a combo when the others show up, but I really like them overall. They're just a whole lot of fun to play. Flight, distance, and spin have been crazy consistent so far, and I've had some of my top scoring rounds of the year. Who doesn't love that?

Last edited:
I have 6 rounds in now with the 770's. Any complaints I could offer would be minor. They look good, they feel good, they score good.

The long irons have been weapons from minute one and invaluable playing a combined 14,600 yards the last 2 rounds. I wouldn't call them hot, but across two different shafts they've had a pretty ideal launch and spin profile for great carry and controllable landing. I'm on the lower spin side of things in the long irons so I've been really impressed with this. I can't say I've heard someone gripe about a ballooning flight with a 3 or 4 iron often, so I don't imagine someone on the spinner side of things taking much issue with anything there. I've ditched my P790 UDI 2 for the P770 3 iron 1 strong without skipping a beat. I prefer the smaller head and the feel is much better.

Mid irons much of the same. Easy to get up and work both ways through the 7. Good distance for the lofts and pretty darn forgiving. Should be for the design, but it's impressed me for their size. You can tell what they are when you hit them too, but they're more soft that I expected.

I start to notice flight, feel off the face, and leading edge more as I get into the 8 iron, but this is where the minor in minor gripes comes in, and I have them about the majority of clubs in this number range because I've become really particular. Unless you have a pretty strong AofA or late release I don't think the soles would be worth worrying about much. Same with the flight for most. I kind of live on keeping the scoring clubs out of the air long though, and that's where I fight them just a little. CG maybe, but they still seem to want to get up and it seems to take a little more to keep them down. Low on the face doesn't feel quite as good as some peers, and I'd love a little prewear. I have no idea how small a percentage of golfers would or should care about that stuff, but I imagine it pretty small. And in the end I can still hit the shots I want for the most part. Comes down more to how it feels doing it I guess. Like I said, extremely minor.

I'll still go for a combo when the others show up, but I really like them overall. They're just a whole lot of fun to play. Flight, distance, and spin have been crazy consistent so far, and I've had some of my top scoring rounds of the year. Who doesn't love that?
This excites me. I'm always trying to get my irons to fly higher.
My 770s will be 2* weak as well.

This excites me. I'm always trying to get my irons to fly higher.
My 770s will be 2* weak as well.
It seems like a real good setup for you then, but I guess we'll know soon enough! I'm looking forward to your thread input when you get them out there.

It seems like a real good setup for you then, but I guess we'll know soon enough! I'm looking forward to your thread input when you get them out there.
Well, I'm hoseling everything right now so early feedback is sure to be questionable lol.
I actually don't think these will beat out the Apex Pro 19s, but I'm just looking for a fun winter experiment.

Well, I'm hoseling everything right now so early feedback is sure to be questionable lol.
I actually don't think these will beat out the Apex Pro 19s, but I'm just looking for a fun winter experiment.
I don't know if anything will every beat my Pro 19's either, but I'm starting to tilt my head about that on the performance side of things. I have not tested the hosel though. Lol I hope your time there is brief, because they feel surprisingly good.

The couple bolded items here were the really standout items for me with this set - I was amazed at the feel difference between the 770 and 790. And the long irons were surprisingly forgiving for me as a ~9 handicap. I had no issues pulling the 6i off the tee on a par 3 that was 100% carry over water with them on vacation last month.

I'm jealous of all of you that somehow managed to actually take delivery of any of these. The ordering has been an utter nightmare. First I ordered the P770s through Dick's online (which is really just fulfilled by TaylorMade) several weeks ago and was quoted 10/25 delivery which has now been updated to 12/22! But only because I called, the order status still shows as delivering yesterday, haha.

I also ordered 3 P7MBs at the top of the bag directly from TaylorMade and they astonishingly only shipped 1 of them. I can't use 1 club from a set but I bet they liked my $200 they could charge for 1 of 3!

Anyway this isn't a gripe session (well maybe a little) but just a warning to anyone contemplating. Looks like they completely blew it on gauging demand and/or aligning their manufacturing partners so if you must have new clubs in the next month or two, probably look elsewhere. I am trying to get my Dick's order cancelled and will look at other manufacturers now.

Hit my P770s for the first time tonight, on a GC Hawk.

Ball go high. Good spin numbers. Feel was interesting...felt a little bit squishy.

Ball go high. Good spin numbers. Feel was interesting...felt a little bit squishy.
haha It's a weird kind of not soft, but .. ?? right? The faces have a unique feel. You can kind of tell they're hollow by that squish. Glad to hear they were getting up for you!!

Last edited:
So after going over today's shots from my round, I think the 770 might be a REALLY good match for me right now in the mid-long irons. My proximittes are always pretty good with wedges, but I'm going to run the avg proximity on approach numbers from my rounds with these irons, and I have a feeling it's going to be more than a little bit better than I thought it's been based on how the rounds have felt. Which probably means I'm feeling like I should be pretty perfect with them while I'm using them, which is usually a sneaky good thing. They did pretty well in the cold today with a hard ball, too. Feel was pretty good.

How were ball speeds relative to the Apex Pros?

Back