The Last round of the 2020 Season

Goin4Par

Reaction score
Handicap
+25
Hello fellow golfers.
I was wondering when your typical "Last round of the Year" takes place in your region.
Of course, we've all played with extra gear on to get the last round in.
My best was a few years back.
2nd week of November
Frost delays until noon at the Golf Course.
Temperature was 32 F, windchill was mid 20's.
Virtually no distance with any club.
I wore Long Johns/sweaters/toques.
My water bottle was frozen solid on the back 9 and I couldn't drink it, so I stuck to Fireball.

Never say never! Last year I played a round thanksgiving morning and another in February. You just never know!

That depends on the weather. There are quite a few courses around here that will stay open year round weather permitting. And it doesn't have to be all that warm. Any day that sneaks into the 40's can be a candidate. A lot depends on precipitation. I'm not a big fam of slogging around in the muck!

Depends on timing. We usually get at least a few decent 40s-50s degree breaks during the winter, sometimes even warmer. Whenever they happen I'll play. I know I played on 1/1/2020 because I broke a zero eagles for 2019 slump that day. I hope I get to play on 12/31/2020 too(y).

Hello fellow golfers.
I was wondering when your typical "Last round of the Year" takes place in your region.
Of course, we've all played with extra gear on to get the last round in.
My best was a few years back.
2nd week of November
Frost delays until noon at the Golf Course.
Temperature was 32 F, windchill was mid 20's.
Virtually no distance with any club.
I wore Long Johns/sweaters/toques.
My water bottle was frozen solid on the back 9 and I couldn't drink it, so I stuck to Fireball.
We were delayed today 1 hour and 20 minutes for frost and I had my handwarmers working full time until the 6th hole when we got above 40. A sure sign our season is about over (course closes Oct. 31)

I’ve got an in on a closed course so I’ll play year round if the greens aren’t frozen.

Cold never bothered me prior to my accident though, but it does now. I’ll have to see. I don’t have the lungs left to walk and carry but I’ve lost a lot of weight. So maybe I do even with reduced lung capacity?

I’ll play this winter but it’ll probably have to be 40*+ and little wind before I try. The course I play, holes 4 and 5 run by the parking lot as does 7. I can quit anytime in there and not feel bad since it’s free.

I hope to get one or two more in before it becomes “winter golf” but we’ll see.

Most likely Dec 31st and I’ll play the 1st as well.

Many of the courses around here will.close end of October. A few will remain open weather depending for a few weeks more. I will be booking rounds down to the end! Got 2 booked for this weekend

Played a new years day tournament with frozen greens and had to hammer holes to get tees in

Montana weather could sometimes get us in to late November or early December but I’m guessing it’s within the next couple weeks sometime

Last year it was Oct. 2nd, this year last local round was Oct. 9th and it was decently cool - when I got to my truck it was 1*C (30*F).

It’s beyond fall here now though. This weekend is supposed to be -9*C (15*F) so the course probably closed about as late as they could.

Last round last year was December 31st, first round this year was January 3rd.

Usually my last round is sometime around the end of October. Depends on the weather and if the course is open. I would like to try to play into November if possible.

I've played on Christmas eve day before here, as long as there is no snow or ice on the course we are good.

I don't like the cold* so it very well could have been last weekend. I'm going to try and make a push to play this Sunday, though.

*cold = below 55. And yes, I know where I live.

Last year it was Oct. 2nd, this year last local round was Oct. 9th and it was decently cool - when I got to my truck it was 1*C (30*F).

It’s beyond fall here now though. This weekend is supposed to be -9*C (15*F) so the course probably closed about as late as they could.

I admire where you are at. There is a definite end to the golfing season, lol. It’s called frozen tundra. Where you’re at you have a short season and are as likely to encounter an enraged moose as a grizzly.

I’ll see you there in about 8 years... :)

I had no idea they have electricity where you are.

I don't like the cold* so it very well could have been last weekend. I'm going to try and make a push to play this Sunday, though.

*cold = below 55. And yes, I know where I live.
I start whining and saying I want summer back when the temp falls below 65°. Yep, lived in the southwest my whole life.

I admire where you are at. There is a definite end to the golfing season, lol. It’s called frozen tundra. Where you’re at you have a short season and are as likely to encounter an enraged moose as a grizzly.

I’ll see you there in about 8 years... :)
I would 100% rather come across a grizzly than an upset moose. One of the most surreal instances was camping on the river during a week-long paddle and a cow and her calf walked right beside my tent. She was trying to give a swimming lesson and coax her young to get into the water.

And you’re right - there’s definitely an end to the season up here! It’s why I try and get away in early spring or late fall to extend the playing time in warmer weather!

I had no idea they have electricity where you are.
Electricity? What kind of golf are you playing?!

We are on either hydro during the summer or a mix of hydro and diesel generators (with a small amount of LNG) in the winter.

We are on either hydro during the summer or a mix of hydro and diesel generators (with a small amount of LNG) in the winter.

Respect.

I can buy a shack on 30 acres up there for the equity in my house. One of the main reasons I’ve been trying to get into shape. I’ll do it in the spring to give me time to prepare, but I can see the last half of my life (or 1/3) up there.

Have to sell house, get a new vehicle, and I’m good.

I’m going SE though. Average winter temp is almost the same as here.

Respect.

I can buy a shack on 30 acres up there for the equity in my house. One of the main reasons I’ve been trying to get into shape. I’ll do it in the spring to give me time to prepare, but I can see the last half of my life (or 1/3) up there.

Have to sell house, get a new vehicle, and I’m good.

I’m going SE though. Average winter temp is almost the same as here.
I love it up here. Tons of open space and just enough of the luxuries to make it quite comfortable! But you’re right - I’d love to have a little more property. Then I could smack golf balls into the woods instead of trying to build an indoor sim!

I was more referring to the fact you're posting on a message board. But you covered that. :p

Back