Callaway X Forged CB Irons Review

See, if you lived by me, you could avoid having to worry about what clubs to play for like the next 6 months. Can't say that it helps the will power though. But, I think I may be able to at least hold out until next year at some point :cool:

I dunno... I move my golf program to the club tester at the golf shop starting in December, because without testing new clubs, I'd never get any golf in! Try to go every couple weeks in the snowy months, you know, to keep the swing in shape test newest hardware :p

At a minimum I’m going to pick up the gap wedge. I’m kind of excited to compare it with my current pitching wedge and see if it gaps well. Be fun to see what is different and what is similar.

The UTs have my attention as well

I am thinking this need to be a must try at least once.

I like the looks of these more and more. Will be exciting to see if any GrandMama players put them in the bag. Do we know the weight of the tungsten piece in back?

I’m pretty sure you will have that opportunity haha

Real question is can i wait that long. Already getting colder and darker up north. I'm gonna have a lot of free time on my hands soon and that pesky Club Champion is just down the street. :giggle:

Neither the flesh nor the will is strong in this case to wait. 😆

I like the looks of these more and more. Will be exciting to see if any GrandMama players put them in the bag. Do we know the weight of the tungsten piece in back?

exactly. having a hard time getting these off the brain.

I have been hitting the X-Forged 18' since they first came out and absolutely love them. If these are any improvement on last model I'm in...take my money. It would appear that the tech in these will improve ball flights. I know the longer blade lengths in the X-Forged is a huge difference. Can't wait!

exactly. having a hard time getting these off the brain.
I am kind of scared to hit them. What if they're amazing? What if they outperform my current clubs in every way? I would never make it through the winter without getting a set then. That alone is not a bad thing. Trying to convince my wife that I need to spend $1600 is what I am worried about. That woman knows where I sleep at night and she's not to be trifled with. Haha.

I am kind of scared to hit them. What if they're amazing? What if they outperform my current clubs in every way? I would never make it through the winter without getting a set then. That alone is not a bad thing. Trying to convince my wife that I need to spend $1600 is what I am worried about. That woman knows where I sleep at night and she's not to be trifled with. Haha.

That's what I'm talking about. What if the UT into X Forged CB into Mack Daddy CB Wedges is the flow set of the year? I liked the design language on the CB wedges, and its right there on the irons and UT's as well. Would make for a good looking bag... requires testing no question.

That's what I'm talking about. What if the UT into X Forged CB into Mack Daddy CB Wedges is the flow set of the year? I liked the design language on the CB wedges, and its right there on the irons and UT's as well. Would make for a good looking bag... requires testing no question.

If that's the case, I am afraid your answer is this:

After my first time actually hitting them instead of just looking, I have so many unexpected thoughts.

They have more offset (or 'perceived' offset) than any 'players cb' I've recently hit. They're a cb. A very modern one, but they look a little ways from a players profile to me over the ball. Semantics and advertising threw me into some assumptions on that, and it didn't really jump out at me when I first saw them in person recently.

They're more forgiving than I expected.

Traditionalists that don't like the look of the weight on the back are going to hate a lot more than that. Lol

I think they feel fantastic. I tried a variety of balls and they level a hard/soft ball feel really well imo.

Spin was right on the money for my expectations at that loft.

I'm down with the IO 6.5. I could game that.

Last edited:
After my first time actually hitting them instead of just looking, I have so many unexpected thoughts.

They have more offset (or 'perceived' offset) than any 'players cb' I've hit. They're a cb. A very modern one, but they look a ways from a players profile to me over the ball.

They're more forgiving than I expected.

Traditionalists that don't like the look of the weight on the back are going to hate a lot more than that. Lol

I think they feel fantastic. I tried a variety of balls and they level a hard/soft ball feel really well imo.

Spin was right on the money for my expectations at that loft.

I'm down with the IO 6.5. I could game that.
They have the slightly more offset as the last set of X-Forged irons.

They have the slightly more offset as the last set of X-Forged irons.
I think 2 clubs with the same spec offset can look pretty different based on the neck/hosel. I have ones that by the sheet are virtually identical, but they definitely don't look it. Just a perception is all.

I think they'll be a hit and people well get over the price thing with a quickness.

Can you expand on this? Or, is this in reference to the offset? Also, was it a fitting head (interchangeable shafts)? If so, that could about for some odd visuals?

Can you expand on this? Or, is this in reference to the offset? Also, was it a fitting head (interchangeable shafts)? If so, that could about for some odd visuals?
It just doesn't look at all traditional to me. The slightly satin-y finish, the shape, the offset, all of it. It looks modern. I love it. I think it looks great. I like progress and am more of a get on board or get out of the way kind of guy with that, but there's not much classic about it imo.

I was kind of obsessing about the offset, so I looked at it without the shaft as we were swapping and talked to them about the fitting head and stuff. I didn't put a gauge on the hosel or anything, but comparing other heads to their actuals we thought it was pretty close to how it will be. :confused2: Maybe @JB or @Jman or somebody who tests like crazy can weigh in on that more. I'd love to hear how that normally works out.

For the Apex Pro guys, I want to say that the sort of unfinished satin at the transition from the back of the cavity above the weight, to the back of the face, gave me pause. I had kind of a rust daymare when looking at it closely. There's no way they'd do that to us again, and it doesn't have the same crevices, but man.. :LOL:

From the reviews I've seen/read it seems they have great feel and forgiveness for players irons.
I wonder how long I'll be waiting to try all of these brands in the fitting bay and make a choice.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

From the reviews I've seen/read it seems they have great feel and forgiveness for players irons.
I wonder how long I'll be waiting to try all of these brands in the fitting bay and make a choice.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
There is a great review in the first post 😀

Oh hey there!

20201017_153046.jpg
20201017_153123.jpg

Compared to an Apex MB (2018). Offset isn't as dramatic as I was expecting based on pics and initial reactions across the interwebs.
20201017_154251.jpg

In terms of comparing the two. The XFCB is roughly 400 less rpm overall spin (Apex MB around 6200 and XFCB around 5800). Both launching at 18 degrees, both peaking at about 120 feet. Both descending around 50 degrees. Both had similar ball speed. XFCB was about 5 yards longer in carry. Wasn't an extended test as I just stopped randomly at the shop hoping to see them. Will try to schedule a time to get more in depth.

Both clubs were +.5" and 2 degrees upright. My Apex MB had $ taper 130X and the XFCB had some sort of Elevate X Stiff shaft.

Honestly, it looks even better in person and I'm one that really liked the pics. The toe looks more squared off which is something I like. The Apex MB feels softer. But, that's not saying the XFCB feels bad in any way. It reminds me of the Apex Pro Dot.

Oh hey there!

View attachment 8969766
View attachment 8969767

Compared to an Apex MB (2018). Offset isn't as dramatic as I was expecting based on pics and initial reactions across the interwebs.
View attachment 8969768

In terms of comparing the two. The XFCB is roughly 400 less rpm overall spin (Apex MB around 6200 and XFCB around 5800). Both launching at 18 degrees, both peaking at about 120 feet. Both descending around 50 degrees. Both had similar ball speed. XFCB was about 5 yards longer in carry. Wasn't an extended test as I just stopped randomly at the shop hoping to see them. Will try to schedule a time to get more in depth.

Both clubs were +.5" and 2 degrees upright. My Apex MB had $ taper 130X and the XFCB had some sort of Elevate X Stiff shaft.

Honestly, it looks even better in person and I'm one that really liked the pics. The toe looks more squared off which is something I like. The Apex MB feels softer. But, that's not saying the XFCB feels bad in any way. It reminds me of the Apex Pro Dot.
I’m surprised you don’t own them yet haha

Do you plan on putting them on the wall and looking at them or are you planning on hitting them? :unsure:
Plan on playing a good looking set of irons not a set of irons that look like Bumble Bee from the Transformers.

I’m surprised you don’t own them yet haha
Haha, my wife doesn't value new shiny golf clubs as much as I do. I think I have an off season of brownie points to earn before I can make my move.

I have a feeling my buddy is going to regret telling me that they have these in, lol. They didn't have any of the new shafts in yet. Want to get back and try the PX IO. He wasn't sure if they'd have the MMT in x stiff or not. But, that's on my radar to try also. I'll be back a few times to try them out.

that squared off toe is kinda tripping me out

Plan on playing a good looking set of irons not a set of irons that look like Bumble Bee from the Transformers.
I don't know what is more fascinating... how often you click into and/or respond in this thread (with pretty much pure hate for the product) or whether I've heard a worse analogy to a player iron with some metal variety in the back (not visible at address).

Also, noooooooooooot the first player iron to use multiple metal options. Maybe I'll bump a few of those so you can at least enjoy some variety?

Back