My Club Champion fitting, Philadelphia, Oct 2020

millsan1

I've figured this game out! Oh wait, no I haven't
Reaction score
Handicap
14?
While @LoffKat and I were not fans of how her fitting went a couple years ago, I decided I wanted a real fitting, to help me get the best out of what I have inside me.

My fitter was Robert Simmons. Good guy.

We went over what they offer, what my game is, what I was looking to improve, brand preferences, etc.

I made it clear I was open to anything. No brand loyalty, no preconceived ideas of what I wanted.

After warming up, we got into the fitting.

6 Iron. I game CF19s. He had me hit my club to get a baseline.

We then chased shafts for a while, and I told him I prefer a lighter feeling club. After all was said and done, it turns out I like D2, FWTW.

Some of the shafts and I did not get along at all. But we ended up on Steel Fiber 80s and I LOVED them. Distance was a touch better, but feel was incredible and dispersion was significantly better. Steel Fiber in blue.

steel80.png

We went through a series of heads on the steel fiber, looking for any more performance, and nothing worked. The only heads that were close were Muira, but they were basically the same as my CF19s.

We then went to wedges. I currently game Jaws in my 58 and my 54. My 50 is an SM7. We hit my 50 gamer, and then he handed me a Jaws 50/12 W, which matches my 54. Jaws out performed the SM7 in distance and dispersion. My wedge pull was evident in both. Jaws in Purple.

jaws.png

We started into Driver, but I was getting worn out, so we went to putter instead. They have a cool contraption that measures all sorts of data for your putting stroke. I am an arc putter, and it showed in the data. Turns out I have a pretty good putting stroke, at least according to the data. He wanted a little more toe hang, but beyond that, solid. I was starting the roll within 1* and my arc back and arc forward were within 0.5* of each other. I was also stroking the ball upwards 2*, for a total of 4.5*. We were both happy with that.

I tried a variety of other putters and quickly put two in the maybe pile and the rest in the no pile.

One of the maybes was a Scotty Phantom. I really liked the slight pop it gives off the face. I normally like a softer feeling face, but this one felt just right.

Back to the fitting. Got on the Driver and I was not swinging well, but all the swings were consistent, so we used that as our baseline. I game a Maverik, 10.5*, turned down to 9* Draw. We went through several shafts and again, some were good, some were terrible (for me) and then we found just right. Accra TZ6. Weight was good, feel was good, dispersion was awesome.

Accra in Blue

driver.png

We went through several heads, and again, my gamer was the winner.

We discussed the plan. Since I was keeping my gamer Irons and Driver, we decided to put Hybrid and fairway woods on hold until they build my clubs.

So for now:
D- Keeping my head, new Accra shaft in Red White and Blue.
Irons - Keeping my heads, adding a 5I, doing them all in SteelFiber 80. Bending them 1* flat, weakening them 1*
Wedges - New 50/12 W Jaws
Putter - New Scotty. Forget the exact model, have to look it up
Jumbo Pure grips, these are what I game and like
Skipped the shaft puring. $30 a shaft for $85 shafts seemed silly to me.

OTD $2300 or so, including the fitting. As is known, everything was full boat. I entertained the idea of taking their numbers, and going and having the work done elsewhere, but in the end, it boiled down to I liked my fitter, difference is probably a couple hundred buck, max, and he has to earn a living.

Some interesting points from the TrackMan data:

Across all the clubs, I was surprisingly consistent.

CH Speed, I was within 1 MPH every time.
My Smash factor is generally maxed out. 1.52 average on driver, 1.47 on 6I and 1.17 on 50.
My swing path, while out to in, was also consistent. Averaged less than 1.4* difference
Face Angel, same thing. With my gamer shafts, within 2*, with the new shafts, within 0.6*
Angle of attack. Worst was 1.6 with my gamer D. Average with the new shafts was 0.4*
Spin rate. D- 2500 +- 250. 6I- 5000 +- 150. Wedge 9500 +- 300

So according to this data, I have a pretty damn repeatable swing. It was shocking to me, especially in the 6I. We probably hit over 70 shots and shot to shot, I kept seeing almost identical numbers (minus shanks, etc)

Nice writeup. Thanks for sharing your fitting experience. Best of luck going forward with your clubs.

Sounds like a good fitting! It had to be nice to confirm you were already into clubs that really work for you, and just ended up fine tuning the shafts.

Sounds like a good fitting! It had to be nice to confirm you were already into clubs that really work for you, and just ended up fine tuning the shafts.
It really was. I expected to be fit into something else, but it was good to know my gear matched me well. It also saved me a lot of $ which is always nice.

It really was. I expected to be fit into something else, but it was good to know my gear matched me well. It also saved me a lot of $ which is always nice.
Club Champion fit me into Steelfiber i95s in my irons, best shafts I've ever hit in irons, of course I'd always just gone with stock shafts in the past. I have a feeling you're going to love those Steelfiber 80s, the Club Champion guys really know how to select the right shafts.

Great write up and lots of insight into the process! Just the peace of mind in knowing that everything is optimized for you helps breed confidence on the course.

I got fitted at CC and am very happy with my irons. But I did notice something. On the new clubs they used less shots minus one of them. Makes me wonder what the dispersion would have been like comparing apples to apples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice write up. Did you see any distance gain or just dispersion?

Nice write up. Did you see any distance gain or just dispersion?
Minor distance gains, but that didn't drive my decision. The dispersion was what did.

I got fitted at CC and am very happy with my irons. But I did notice something. On the new clubs they used less shots minus one of them. Makes me wonder what the dispersion would have been like comparing apples to apples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We chose the shots to use together. I forget why we only went with 4 for that shaft, but I think I mishit one.

Thanks for the insight on your fitting.

Nice write-up @millsan1 !

If no one other than you tells you how awesome you are, your gonna hear it from me brother!

Back