Cleveland RTX ZipCore Tour Rack and Black Satin Wedges

I had a ton of fun with the 58* Mid today. I was very, very comfortable from the first shot. I think it fell right into my expectations being easy to hit and how it sets up. The RTX4 58* Mid was a favorite of mine last season due to very crisp turf interaction in mixed conditions and the fact the I could really keep the leading edge low on hardpan and when opened up.

When ordering the heel-toe grind with standard leading edge, I was trying to get the Mid to sit a little closer to the ground when opened up while keeping plenty of available bounce. I didn't want the leading edge too sharp as I play in quite mixed conditions. It was medium-soft today with lots of recent rain still moistening the turf. I once again had tons of spin available from the fairway, rough, and greenside. The bounce was instantly my friend and it played just as I hoped today... plenty forgiving in softer ground but still sits nice on hard lies and vary playable from just about anywhere.

I forgot my towel and the course was wet with new granular fertilizer applied... I had to go shopping, cook dinner, etc. before just now wiping it down and the face is pretty trashed out from the fertilizer. Whoopsie. The main point, is that the club was wet during the whole round and covered with gunk... I was using the wet turf with half dissolved fertilizer to wipe down mud and grass after shots having forgot my towel. Not the cleanest of contact conditions by a long shot. Fresh UltiZip grooves don't care - I was leaving shredded urethane in the grooves on approaches from the wet rough and fairways.

It was hop and sit tight conditions in general at the course today. Greenside I was not the sharpest but I got out exactly what I put in, and the club played fantastic. I hit a few open shots and it sits great opened up. The bounce is general is exactly what I was expecting and hoping for, a bit more generous the the prior gen RTX4 in my mind, but when opened and off tighter lies the leading edge is plenty close. I think the relief grind really adds something to this wedge. I like a close leading edge... just not low bounce for our softer periods on course. I even played a crazy little toe-down chip just to see ho it played and it worked out. I never play those, was impressed.

My one omission is I forgot to hit out of the sand all day... did a good job stayed out of bunkers 😇 and forgot that I was supposed to be testing from them! Next time... a little sandblasting is needed to clean up the fertilizer rash.

Overall it was a great first outing and TBH I expect great things from here. I love the ZipCore lineup and the raw, hand-polished finish and hand ground options are just outstanding.

The spin is crazy nice. Interesting on the wet performance. I've played zipcore wedges quite a bit this year. I've taken dead aim for hop and stop over and over. Playing partners have said things like, "that's not possible." But I also find these easy to control spin and get release when needed. The confidence to hit shots knowing the clubs will provide the consistency is fantastic.

I still find my eye catching the hand polished Tour Rack zipcore when I look at my bag. It is the best looking club in my bag, period.

I have a full set of ZipCore on their way, including one tour rack 58 degree. I'm excited, to say the least.

I have a full set of ZipCore on their way, including one tour rack 58 degree. I'm excited, to say the least.

58* you say? Tour Rack? Full set?

The spin is crazy nice. Interesting on the wet performance. I've played zipcore wedges quite a bit this year. I've taken dead aim for hop and stop over and over. Playing partners have said things like, "that's not possible." But I also find these easy to control spin and get release when needed. The confidence to hit shots knowing the clubs will provide the consistency is fantastic.

I still find my eye catching the hand polished Tour Rack zipcore when I look at my bag. It is the best looking club in my bag, period.

Wet performance is sooo good that I was not adjusting for rollout from dry today. Predictable outcomes across varying conditions is IMO one of the best things about the grooves on these. It is kind of astounding how well they hold up.

That will be a sweet setup. What shafts did you get? Stock DG spinner surprised me. Nice shaft.
I was pleasantly surprised too so I kept it stock shaft, +1/4 and different grip (Tour Velvet should still be discouraged/banned by The Hague in my opinion)

can someone educate me here....

What's the difference between the S-shape and the Heel & Toe grind? The biggest part I'm hung up on is the Toe part of Heel & Toe. Why would I need less on the Toe?

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 8.38.53 PM.png

Well I got my Tour Rack 60* / Full / S-Shaped sole out for a full round today, this was my first time out on a course with it. I used it more than I would usually use a 60* on the course, but I gotta use it to review it, and results were mostly positive. Initially I was getting to use it around the greens, where I would usually use my 50* or 55*, and for the most part it was working really well. I was able to make good contact from just about any lie, with flight, check, and roll just as I would expect from a 60* wedge with fresh grooves. My only problem was just not being used to using that much loft around the greens, so I left a few pretty short. The Full, S-Shaped grind sole, with 12* Bounce, is super versatile around the greens, very similar to the sole and bounce on my 55* CBX2, which probably helped with my confidence.

I did hit out of one bunker, nice flat lie, had to carry it a bit to get to the green, then not much green to work with (see photo below). The sand was better than it looks in the photo, I took a normal open-face bunker shot, flew it about pin-high, a few feet left of the pin, had some good spin on it so it stopped within a couple of feet of where it landed, leaving me about a five footer for par.

AM_08_sm.jpg

I only took a couple of full swings with it, one from some light rough, and that was a really nice shot, about 70 yds, high, soft landing, and rolled a couple of feet from the ball mark. The other was something I did just for fun. One of my favorite Par-3s on this course is a little 100 yarder, where I pretty much always hit my 55*, but today they had it playing short, at 84 yds. What the heck, I'll hit the 60*, I should be able to get it on the front of the green, and worst case it spins back a bit and ends up just short. So I just dropped a ball to hit it off the deck, aimed a bit right since my miss with the short clubs is a pull, and a miss right works here, a miss left is dead. I hit it dead straight, carried about 75 yds, missed right, but kicked off the slope right of the green and ran right past the pin, stopping a ways left of and past the hole. In the photo below, I hit the slope right of the green, a bit short of the steps, and you might just see the ball past and left of the pin. That green slopes back-to-front, and right-to-left, and landing on the down slope like it did kicked it hard left and towards the back.

AM_15_sm.jpg

I really like this wedge! I still need to get a mid-size grip on it, and probably a Recoil 95 shaft too, just so it matches up with the rest of my Cleveland wedges. I'm not looking forward to seeing rust on it, that's just not my thing, so I'll probably let the face go, but can see myself polishing the rest of it on occasion, because without rust this is one great looking finish.

What's the difference between the S-shape and the Heel & Toe grind? The biggest part I'm hung up on is the Toe part of Heel & Toe. Why would I need less on the Toe?

View attachment 8970469
Toe relief comes into play with those that like to manipulate face angle quite a bit.

Toe relief comes into play with those that like to manipulate face angle quite a bit.
Bet it would come in handy for me these days when I have been chunking on the toe end of my wedges!

quite a bit meaning like.....opening the face so it looks straight up to the sky type of manipulation?

New grip going on the 54* today. I need to get the NDMC on there. I just can't do the stock grip. too slick for me.

View attachment 8970469

With my test 54mid, I went with the heel & toe grind. I have the same wedge without the grind for comparison. I can't say I noticed any benefits or drawbacks to the toe grind. In my two days on the course, I tried as many shots as I could imagine. I like to manipulate the head/face for shots. Maybe in time I'll sort that out. But what i can say is that the grind had no impact that I could ascertain on standard full and partial swing shots. Now the heel grind, I could immediately feel the little extra zip through turf when I opened the face. It is subtle but something I liked from the get go.

View attachment 8970469

for me it comes into play when I want to open the face and hit a more delicate shot without fear of the leading edge. I think it has been most helpful for me with longer bunker shots.

With my test 54mid, I went with the heel & toe grind. I have the same wedge without the grind for comparison. I can't say I noticed any benefits or drawbacks to the toe grind. In my two days on the course, I tried as many shots as I could imagine. I like to manipulate the head/face for shots. Maybe in time I'll sort that out. But what i can say is that the grind had no impact that I could ascertain on standard full and partial swing shots. Now the heel grind, I could immediately feel the little extra zip through turf when I opened the face. It is subtle but something I liked from the get go.
for me it comes into play when I want to open the face and hit a more delicate shot without fear of the leading edge. I think it has been most helpful for me with longer bunker shots.

i think i somewhat understanding it, without seeing it firsthand. I open my wedges up even its 10 degrees or the other extreme of face looking straight up at the sky inside a bunker. I never play my wedges square, unless its an aggressive full shot with the 52, trying to hit a pin at 115yd.

so with that in mind, I fully understand the heel grind and also edge relief but was having a harder time understanding what the wedge would look like with toe grind. or rather in what type of lie the toe grind portion would benefit. maybe i'll find a used wedge with a similar grind at the store and check it out.

not here to cause any ruckus. i just couldn't visual it.

Toe relief is useful for toe-down chipping technique, where you are trying to keep the hosel and main part of the leading edge from catching. Phil breaks it down here:

Here are a couple quick snaps I took yesterday at address. Trying to illustrate how the leading edge stays low on a nice fairway lie.

168316FB-9FC3-4B8A-A167-D1A56AF56DAE.jpeg083AE212-D187-4F76-86A0-53B007123ED4.jpeg

So...I received my test wedge this week and got to take it out for the first time yesterday. I’ll do a full review this weekend in my simulator with real numbers, but wanted to give a couple first impressions:
1. It feels lighter than the Vokey
2. It definitely spins more
3. I will not be putting the Vokey back in my bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adventures with Granite Episode #1023 - How to nurture your O.C.D. (and ZipCore Tour finish)

Ok, I tried. I legit did. I accidentally forgot the towel. I let things rust. I tried to be cool about it. Thing is... I like polished steel. I'm a mechanical engineer. Rusty things really are not my wheelhouse.

I was feeling badly about what will henceforth be referred to as "The Fertilizer Incident". Brand new wedge, first outing, wet course, aggressive fertilizer... 8 hours later the wedge had some gnarly rust spots on the face.. Quite uneven and aggressive spotting. Like ugly. I cleaned the crap off and let it sit for a day... last night around beverage #2 I couldn't handle it anymore. Something was gonna happen.

You rust lovers might want to tune out now.... don't @ me :ROFLMAO:.

Auto detailing techniques were applied to remove rust "damage". I mean, I'm reviewing this on the forum and don't want to be posting pictures of a trashed brand new wedge right?
  • Iron-X (or any other fallout remover works) was spritzed on a toothbrush and used to remove the worst of the spotting. Go easy here... it's aggressive stuff and will etch your polished areas turning them more frosted matte if you aren't careful. The less adventurous or confident might want to start with a milder acid.
  • Mequiar's Ultimate Compound was applied with microfiber towel to polish up the remaining film
  • Collinite #850 Metal Wax was used as a final polish/protect
After these regimen, the finish has been entirely restored to as received condition with not a hint to give away "The Fertilizer Incident". It is important to know who you are dealing with as reviewers on this site. Well, now you know! :rolleyes:

I won’t post the before 😢, but here is the after 🤠
68DF1EA9-A1EC-4AA9-9A5D-D7293863E2DC.jpeg61D44418-FC49-4838-B900-6D18EA8A5030.jpeg

Last edited:
Adventures with Granite Episode #1023 - How to nurture your O.C.D. (and ZipCore Tour finish)

Ok, I tried. I legit did. I accidentally forgot the towel. I let things rust. I tried to be cool about it. Thing is... I like polished steel. I'm a mechanical engineer. Rusty things really are not my wheelhouse.
I'm with you 100% on this, probably due to a strong presence of "The Engineer Gene". I know I've mentioned before that to me, rust = neglect, and I have a hard time with that. I used some automotive polish on my test wedge after the first practice session, and it looked so good when I was done. I've convinced myself that I can let the face go, and just polish the rest to keep it looking good, time will tell if I can follow through on that though.

I'm with you 100% on this, probably due to a strong presence of "The Engineer Gene". I know I've mentioned before that to me, rust = neglect, and I have a hard time with that. I used some automotive polish on my test wedge after the first practice session, and it looked so good when I was done. I've convinced myself that I can let the face go, and just polish the rest to keep it looking good, time will tell if I can follow through on that though.

Thanks for the support! Great to know I'm not the only nut :D

I got around to putting a midsize grip on this guy today, and of course cleaned it up a bit.

ZipCore_01.jpgZipCore_02.jpg

Back