In my opinion, in general speaking that would be correct. Another way to look at it is those with a need for spin reduction the GS53 makes sense. Those that need or want an easier initial launch, the Max makes sense. Weight forward and a bit higher will lead to lower spin, but also a loss in forgiveness through MOI.
Maybe I misunderstand this. Let's say we have two identical drivers in every way except CG placement. If we hold CG the same distance from face to heel in both but raise the CG higher, wouldn't that create more spin relative to the lower CG placement head?

Maybe I misunderstand this. Let's say we have two identical drivers in every way except CG placement. If we hold CG the same distance from face to heel in both but raise the CG higher, wouldn't that create more spin relative to the lower CG placement head?

Yes and no.. Because weight placement is not done in a vacuum, so where weight is placed, does a lot of things including how the club head comes into the ball. To use an easy to understand analogy, if weight is the same in every aspect of two clubs, but then you put a bunch in the heel, the club head will not come into impact the same way as it would without that wight there. Generally speaking though, you are correct. In my previous post it was speaking more towards forward rather than vertical.

Spin and launch are often interchanged. Higher CG can cause the ball to launch lower and spin moree, but a lot of this will come down to how the angle of the club head is coming into the ball.

Spin and launch are often interchanged. Higher CG can cause the ball to launch lower and spin more.

Right, I guess I was referring to the general rule of thumb for weight placement... but yeah I get that moving weight can change club delivery, etc. Thanks for clarifying!

Right, I guess I was referring to the general rule of thumb for weight placement... but yeah I get that moving weight can change club delivery, etc. Thanks for clarifying!

No problem. In that post you originally quoted, generally I was speaking of forward vs back. Which can bring a reduction. Low vs high, generally speaking does exactly what you posted. If nothing else changes in delivery.

It is why we are seeing that more and more in modern wedges.

This really sounds like a driver that would work for me. From the looks department it is sharp.

Sharp looks and likely high quality. They should though IMO play around with some more adjustable weighting. These days all the top manufacturers have relatively hot faces and loft flexibility to me being able to move weight for draw and fade bias and or > MOI as important. They say you can change face angle but I would rather not go that way. Also no A flex on current site and seniors need that option.
I agree, as I like to move weights to optimize everything as well. However, arguably the best driver on the market right now is Mavrik, and it's not littered with weights or slides and what not. As long as it performs, the bells and whistles may not be necessary.

I agree, as I like to move weights to optimize everything as well. However, arguably the best driver on the market right now is Mavrik, and it's not littered with weights or slides and what not. As long as it performs, the bells and whistles may not be necessary.

It wouldn't make a ton of sense to having sliding weights in a driver designed specifically for high MOI and extreme stability like this Max is.
While I am for tech and fitting, some drivers it makes sense and others not so much. It's why many companies offer multiple options.

No problem. In that post you originally quoted, generally I was speaking of forward vs back. Which can bring a reduction. Low vs high, generally speaking does exactly what you posted. If nothing else changes in delivery.

It is why we are seeing that more and more in modern wedges.
Aha. That makes a ton of sense in wedges!

Nice write-up JB.

I want to hit one.

Improved launch, but with lower spin seems counter intuitive to a low spin guy like myself, but the high launch sounds great.

Helium as a no upcharge option has me salivating

Only $335 is a freaking STEAL!

I like the profile / looks of this driver. I'm happy to see them move into the world of multi-material construction. IMO that makes them a serious player in the driver market.

Totally disagree hit that club many times and major disappointment and fact cannot tweak for hundreds of dollars make me not even consider it; but adaptability and being able to shots most important to me. Found at least ten yard loss with the highly touted CM with 3 shafts with Trackman on fitting versus Ping, Titleist, Cobra etc. I went ultimately with a fitted 9 weight PXG proto but was very close call with Titleist S3 which son, a 3 hdcp, now bags.

Why are you spending hundreds if not fully and easily adjustable?! IMO otherwise just buy a Hogan as it looks truly great at least and probably is really pretty darn good at less $. I may buy one as my backup - great reviews.

It wouldn't make a ton of sense to having sliding weights in a driver designed specifically for high MOI and extreme stability like this Max is.
While I am for tech and fitting, some drivers it makes sense and others not so much. It's why many companies offer multiple options.
Fair point but for a higher price point (although with a Veterans sale even cheaper) you can have drivers can adjust at least to a lessor degree both ways (I have a PXG on way that is low spin but can move weights to slightly increased spin while > MOI at least to an extent but I may still get one of these as a backup. Great look and I am sure feel. Seriously considering for the holidays and would not of actively considered without THP - thanks!

I’m really looking forward to trying this out using the Ben Hogan Golf demo program! I’m very curious how the carbon crown and added size will change the way the driver sounds, versus the standard GS53. Sound was stellar on that offering. 2nd, I want to see what the performance of off-center hits are like on the Max. Off-center hits, especially toe side, we’re punished on the standard model! I would love to put that 14th Ben Hogan Golf club back in the bag! Callaway Big Bertha B21 vs Ben Hogan GS53 Max might be a great head-to-head comparison!

Fair point but for a higher price point (although with a Veterans sale even cheaper) you can have drivers can adjust at least to a lessor degree both ways (I have a PXG on way that is low spin but can move weights to slightly increased spin while > MOI at least to an extent but I may still get one of these as a backup. Great look and I am sure feel. Seriously considering for the holidays and would not of actively considered without THP - thanks!

I understand you love PXG, but these are very different drivers.
A good example of this would be Mizuno's last offering of 3 different drivers. 1 had sliding weights. Not everything is designed to be altered, and while I am for high technology and fitting, it doesn't fit all styles.

Furthermore, that can be accomplished numerous ways through fitting if one decides.

There are drivers where it is a benefit to have maximum adjustability and others where there isn't.

I understand you love PXG, but these are very different drivers.
A good example of this would be Mizuno's last offering of 3 different drivers. 1 had sliding weights. Not everything is designed to be altered, and while I am for high technology and fitting, it doesn't fit all styles.

Furthermore, that can be accomplished numerous ways through fitting if one decides.

There are drivers where it is a benefit to have maximum adjustability and others where there isn't.
Totally get it I built clubs for years and played at advanced level including state ams - my point is that I feel personally any driver $400 or more should be fully adjustable as rest pretty cosmetic. Most importantly get fit and get what works for you but at the high end it should come down in my opinion to being able to tweak a club to get maximum performance. I honestly feel some of the industry is moving to providing a one size fits all product at a very high price point. Many are not offering enough shaft offerings at decent price points and some don’t even offer all shaft flexes unless a custom order. That being said this model Hogan if launched under $400 likely works well most players and I may buy one as a travel or backup driver. I am not wedded to any brand and played various Hogan’s and other clubs for years. Great Respect!

Totally get it I built clubs for years and played at advanced level including state ams - my point is that I feel personally any driver $400 or more should be fully adjustable as rest pretty cosmetic. Most importantly get fit and get what works for you but at the high end it should come down in my opinion to being able to tweak a club to get maximum performance. I honestly feel some of the industry is moving to providing a one size fits all product at a very high price point. Many are not offering enough shaft offerings at decent price points and some don’t even offer all shaft flexes unless a custom order. That being said this model Hogan if launched under $400 likely works well most players and I may buy one as a travel or backup driver. I am not wedded to any brand and played various Hogan’s and other clubs for years. Great Respect!

Okay. This driver is $355.
All of the details are on our home page in the link in the first post.

For those wanting in hand pics of the crown.

4D15BF5E-8AB8-41FD-82AC-661DF71B6BDE.jpeg
C6A15013-B4E4-4060-B862-416915B10C75.jpeg
EA46A23A-0B98-4A39-9B3C-D175E2201732.jpeg

I just watched the Ben Hogan Golf instagram live about this driver and they mentioned it also has variable face thickness to help those off-center strikes that I seem to get a lot. That's awesome, and dang what a value at that price.

And to add a bit, I freaking love the BH Starburst logo on the crown. i love that logo in general, but man does it look good right there.

I just watched the Ben Hogan Golf instagram live about this driver and they mentioned it also has variable face thickness to help those off-center strikes that I seem to get a lot. That's awesome, and dang what a value at that price.
I just watched that too - it was really good. Also, Ben Hogan has a great intro video on their Instagram page today.

Hogan is also first class in looks. This looks great

I want one.

My dad just stopped over for a bit. While he was here watching golf he says to me "what do you know about this new Hogan max driver?"

Back