Callaway X Forged CB Irons Review

Yeah, distance isn't the seller with these. Something like this is right in my wheelhouse. I don't need or want any extra yards. The idea of ultra consistent distances has me enticed. When I tried it, I was getting almost identical ball flight to the MB's I was putting it up against.

I won't be pre-ordering them. I want to spend some time over the offseason testing out some different shafts to see if I can find a good pairing. Then there's the whole how badly do I want to stay married angle, lol. Still trying to find a valid way to explain to her why I need to spend $1600 on irons. I'll figure something out.

The market is just like you in my opinion. Smaller and a bit niche, like post traditionally lofted players irons. Similar to the last X-Forged set, which did extremely well right out of the gate.

Then there's the whole how badly do I want to stay married angle, lol. Still trying to find a valid way to explain to her why I need to spend $1600 on irons. I'll figure something out.

I have faith in you!

How does she not know by now that you basically have a second wife named Cally anyway?!?! :LOL:

The looks are growing on me as I see more pictures. They aren't as nice as the '18 version but I can get past that.

I'm fine with them not being as long as other irons, the consistency and control is worth the trade off.

Well, I went in blind on these and dropped an order this morning. If they are anything like my 2018 X Forged I won't be disappointed.

So, just peeping the pre-order page. The amount of shafts available at no upcharge is pretty sweet. PX IO obviously is stock. But, PX LS, all KBS steel ($ taper and such), all PX shafts, all TT shafts (DG Tour Issue even), and all Nippon too. Really impressive spread.

So, just peeping the pre-order page. The amount of shafts available at no upcharge is pretty sweet. PX IO obviously is stock. But, PX LS, all KBS steel ($ taper and such), all PX shafts, all TT shafts (DG Tour Issue even), and all Nippon too. Really impressive spread.
I noticed that too. I like it. Feels like it should be that way more often.

I noticed that too. I like it. Feels like it should be that way more often.
I agree. Especially now that these sets are commanding the price that they are. The perceived value seems to be higher when the catalog is open to whatever you want basically. At least IMO.

I agree. Especially now that these sets are commanding the price that they are. The perceived value seems to be higher when the catalog is open to whatever you want basically. At least IMO.
I'm with you 100% on that. It immediately made me feel like the price was less of an issue.

I ordered the gap wedge, the 18s don’t have one. I’ll start there and see if it turns into a full set.

Yes, that was a nice surprise. I went with the Nippon Neo 95 at no upgrade charge. It certainly made it a bit nicer at check-out.

I want to try these, and I will. Really curious where they'll stand out against the Pro 19s.

Kisner with a -6 yesterday with the XForged CB.

i spent some time with the xfcb today. unfortunately the rep only had a stock 7i with px io stiff shaft, standard loft and lie. typical caveats apply, like it just rained heavily so turf interaction was affected, my swing was not very good, blah blah blah.

first, the look. i think these look really good in person. i know they’re atypical for this class, but they did it for me. at address, i agree with those who say the offset stands out. again, not what i expected in this class. the top line was ever so slightly smaller than my mav pro, but otherwise similar size and shape.

now feel. i liked the feel a lot of the middle. soft but powerful. instant feedback on misses. hard left bias for me.

now performance. very nice flight. about 800 rpm more spin than my mav pro (some of that is loft, some is design). about 12y shorter. unfortunately my swing was not great, so consistency wasn’t something i can comment on. i will say small misses lost a fair bit of distance for me relative to the mav pro.

overall they look and feel nice, but they’re not for me. if i’m being very honest, in thinking through callaway’s current line, i’m actually not sure who these are for.
This is good stuff. (y)

I hope to hit these at some point against the MIM. That could be a fun throwdown!

The X-Man had some in his bag as well...TV broadcast had a great close-up of one approach shot.

The X-Man had some in his bag as well...TV broadcast had a great close-up of one approach shot.
I think Xander's actually say Apex on them.....

I don't think he's playing these CB's
Caption says:

Xander Schauffele’s new Apex irons

Xander’s prototype Callaway Apex irons look a lot like the newly released 2021 X-Forged irons

Attachments

• 1603461766147.png
    1603461766147.png
    123.1 KB · Views: 4
Those aren't new Apex irons haha.
Sadly this is what happens with tour protos though...

that's a pretty big deal. i think kis was still playing the 2016 apex pro if i'm not mistaken. he's not one who switches gear often.

I was hoping to see more pics of these in Xander's bag

Haha. Little bait and switch for all the #golfnerds out there.. haha.

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
I'll be impressed if Callaway is just toying with the degenerate golf nerds like me lol.

i spent some time with the xfcb today. unfortunately the rep only had a stock 7i with px io stiff shaft, standard loft and lie. typical caveats apply, like it just rained heavily so turf interaction was affected, my swing was not very good, blah blah blah.

first, the look. i think these look really good in person. i know they’re atypical for this class, but they did it for me. at address, i agree with those who say the offset stands out. again, not what i expected in this class. the top line was ever so slightly smaller than my mav pro, but otherwise similar size and shape.

now feel. i liked the feel a lot of the middle. soft but powerful. instant feedback on misses. hard left bias for me.

now performance. very nice flight. about 800 rpm more spin than my mav pro (some of that is loft, some is design). about 12y shorter. unfortunately my swing was not great, so consistency wasn’t something i can comment on. i will say small misses lost a fair bit of distance for me relative to the mav pro.

overall they look and feel nice, but they’re not for me. if i’m being very honest, in thinking through callaway’s current line, i’m actually not sure who these are for.

The comment about the offset is interesting to me. During my fitting we found that I responded well to a bit of offset. But I have a visual preference for something smaller. I'm also someone who doesn't mind hitting a longer iron.

It's a harder sell to lose distance though - if it's more lofts than anything, I'm OK with that.

The comment about the offset is interesting to me. During my fitting we found that I responded well to a bit of offset. But I have a visual preference for something smaller. I'm also someone who doesn't mind hitting a longer iron.

It's a harder sell to lose distance though - if it's more lofts than anything, I'm OK with that.

i don't mind losing a half club, but a full club is a tough one for me. to hit a 7i 178 with my mav pro, then hit a decent 7i with the xfcb and get 165 was a little more loss than i'd be comfortable with. if i was struggling holding greens with the mav pro, then maybe i could get on board with the xfcb because of the welcomed spin. but the mav pros hold just fine for me. or if i was hooking the crap out of the mav pro and wanted something more stable in the xfcb, again maybe i could swallow the distance loss. but both were hooking when i tested, xfcb more so than mav pro (xfcb was standard lie, mav pro 1* flat).

Back