JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Fresh off a late season US Open and coming into a rescheduled Fall Masters, it is definitely major season. We were talking recently about some of the best memories from the grandest events and specifically “Your First Major Memory?”.

Looking back on your life, what is the first major memory you have that still sits with you today as you are watching the events unfold?

1.jpg

Continue reading...

Corey Pavin winning the 95 US Open was probably the first time I watched more than a few shots of any tourney to that point.

For me it was Tigers 96 US AM come back against Scott. Then of course his 97 Masters win.

The 97 Masters. I had been playing golf for a couple of years and just started watching when Tiger came on the scene. Watching that is something I don't think I'll ever forget.

I'd probably say 96 Masters. I remember being at a family friends house and watching with my dad and a few others. I wanted Norman to win and I just kept being told that he was a choker, and sure enough shot 78 that day. It really got me excited to watch "that tournament" next year which of course Tiger dominated.

For me, its Payne Stewart winning the US Open in '99. Its special to me because Payne was a personal golf hero of mine (and the reason why I got into wearing flat caps, along with Ben Hogan) and because it was just such a great story, Payne was such an interesting character and because of the moment that he and Phil shared on the final hole, where Payne congratulated Phil on becoming a father in the moment of winning a major.

The 97 Masters. I was not a golfer at the time.

1992 US Open win by Tom Kite.

We were moving back to MN from VA and stopped at my stepdads parents house. His dad had it on his 60” rear projection tv and we watched the back 9 with him. I wasn’t allowed to talk but it was awesome

I was nine for my first major memory.
1603635658058.jpeg

11 years old and it was the first major I watched the entire final round. Not sure if I have missed a masters since.

1603636417725.jpeg

Oh, oh... this one is going to date me.

My family moved from Utah to Aiken, South Carolina in the fall of 1973. Aiken is 18 miles from Augusta, so, even though I played no golf, we were watching the Masters on tv that next Spring, 1974. I was 13 years old. It is my first memory of tv announcers referring to Jack as the “Golden Bear.” I remember them talking the Golden Bear “lurking.” He tied for fourth.

Gary Player won that year and took home $35,000.

The British Opens (as it was called back in day) from the 70's where guys were barely able to stand still, and often couldn't, due to the extreme winds and being pelted by sideways rain. Unlike today, they played on through those conditions. Although I wouldn't necessarily relish playing in those conditions, for some reason watching it enamored me and have loved the game and that particular tournament ever since.

Payne Stewart at the ‘99 US Open at Pinehurst. I was 10 years old. Remember it vividly, mainly because I was very curious about “the guy in the weird clothes.”

Last edited:
1573478696115.jpeg

97 Masters was very special. Was in college and none of my friends could understand why I was glued to the couch that weekend

Fresh off a late season US Open and coming into a rescheduled Fall Masters, it is definitely major season. We were talking recently about some of the best memories from the grandest events and specifically “Your First Major Memory?”.

Looking back on your life, what is the first major memory you have that still sits with you today as you are watching the events unfold?

View attachment 8970943

Continue reading...
Wasn't the US Open an early season US Open this year? Since the new 2020-2021 season just started and it was one of the first few events, I think it has to be considered an early season US Open.

My first major memory would likely be Tiger destroying everyone in 2000.

First Tour related "golf" memory would be Payne's jet crashing. I was a 100% newbie at the time, but I could tell how important he was to the game from the way people talked about him and how the event was portrayed.

Payne Stewart at the ‘97 US Open at Pinehurst. I was 8 years old. Remember it vividly, mainly because I was very curious about “the guy in the weird clothes.”
The '97 US Open wasn't at Pinehurst. Payne won it at Pinehurst in '99.

Els won at Congressional in '97.

1988. The Masters. Sandy Lyles 7 iron.

Daly winning the Open Championship. Was visiting my dad, One of very very very few happy memories I have with my dad.

Faldo winning his first British Open with 18 Pars is mine

My dad took me to a practice round of the 1991 US Open at Hazeltine. I had a set of cards that I was trying to get signed. I also remember the playoff because my dad and brother went 1603641800558.jpeg

ap_840618030 (1).jpg

I also remember very well Seve winning the Master's at age 23 in 1980.

Pavin hitting a 200 yard approach on the button to beat Greg Norman at Shinnecock Hills. Then the next year Faldo beat Norman with the huge comeback/choke at Augusta. I hated Norman so both of these were great.

Back