Callaway Mack Daddy CB Wedges

We have a video coming soon comparing blades to cavity backs in wedges. Pretty interesting.

That’ll be interesting. We need @Canadan to test that perimeter weighting though. We know he likes the sweet spot but think of others. Lol

Considering the consistency he saw across the board in his initial testing, it’ll be fun to see side by side comparisons vs blade offerings.

The 52 is where I think I might really like these - but... I wouldn't mind putting the 56 in play either. Playing off a 48 AW, I might go 52-56-60 next year, but need to figure out my gaps on the long side.
I'd love to try it in the 54° slot, compare it against my MD5. I wouldn't even bother in the 58°, nothing is going to dethrone my PM Grind in that spot!

Great write-up.

The JAWS grooves are great, I'm very curious about the SG-1 grip though.

Curious to try this one out.

Great write-up.

The grip feels thin to me, kind of like a 580 or less Lamkin Crossline black and longer.

Great write-up.

The grip feels thin to me, kind of like a 580 or less Lamkin Crossline black and longer.
I would agree here that grip feels thin. I had the max amount of wraps put on and it still feels thin.
It's handy, I'll say that, almost to the point were I may choke down too much or too often.

TBH having played them for several rounds, I'm struggle with the delicate shot with these that I didn't with the CBX2s.
Now I know there is a learning and adjustment period, so that's why I grabbed them for October golf, when the scoring means a little less.
On full shot, I can pretty much stick a ball close, it's the shorties that I have troubles with. Think the lightness is playing an issue.

Last edited:
I would agree here that grip feels thin. I had the max amount of wraps put on and it still feels thin.
It's handy, I'll say that, almost to the point were I may choke down too much or too often.

TBH having them for several rounds, I'm struggle with the delicate shot with these that I didn't with the CBX2s.
Now I know there is a learning and adjust period so that's why I grabbed them for October golf, when the scoring means a little less.
On full shot, I can pretty much stick a ball close, it's the shorties that I have troubles with. Think the lightness is playing an issue.

Good call Iceman. The MD CB's have been cool at times and some difficulties. But, it's very early. Quite often it takes months to adopt to a new club. I am also overdoing the choking down and use on shorties. Time to think clearly on the right club selection depending on lie and distance. I have to be honest, I pulled out an old chipper club recently and I am loving it.

TBH having played them for several rounds, I'm struggle with the delicate shot with these that I didn't with the CBX2s.
Now I know there is a learning and adjust period so that's why I grabbed them for October golf, when the scoring means a little less.

I’ve always felt Cally wedges were lighter than other OEMs

Callaway comes up great wedges but names not sure of...

Interesting, I normally play midsize - if they offer a midsize version I’d go with it even to test
I don't think they do in this longer grip, that is why I added the wraps.
I think that a heavier & longer grip (Midsize instead of the current version) might mess up the swing weight.

Last edited:
I think that the heavier & longer grip might mess up the swing weight.

I like the midsize used to do extra wraps now just midsize- as for SW there are things you can do to get it where you want

I think that the heavier & longer grip might mess up the swing weight.

These are listed at D4, which is light-ish for a wedge IMO. Have you thought about putting some lead tape on it to see if that helps? I'm not necessarily in the market for this one, but like seeing more options for sure.

These are listed at D4, which is light-ish for a wedge IMO. Have you thought about putting some lead tape on it to see if that helps? I'm not necessarily in the market for this one, but like seeing more options for sure.
The Lead Tape King has spoken!!!
I might have to give that a try...

I think that is changing a bit as others are as well.
ZipCore comes in at D4 or D5 depending on loft.
MD5 comes in at D4 for most lofts.
Vokey comes in at D5

So all three of the top sellers are with in 1 swing weight point of each other currently.

The Lead Tape King has spoken!!!
I might have to give that a try...

Would definitely help you get the SW up. I usually keep my irons at D3/4 so I go a little heavier in wedges.

I think that is changing a bit as others are as well.
ZipCore comes in at D4 or D5 depending on loft.
MD5 comes in at D4 for most lofts.
Vokey comes in at D5

So all three of the top sellers are with in 1 swing weight point of each other currently.

Oh sure. I was speaking to personal preference. I like my clubs a little more head heavy.

I've had these in the bag for a month now and I'm kinda "Meh" on them.
I know I'm still adjusting however I think the CBX2 and CBX2 FF are better wedges for my game.
Not sure if the swing weight is the same however I just feel like the MDCB wedges are lighter.
I thankfully kept the CBX2 just in case. (I've gotten smarter and not gotten rid of older clubs until I know the new ones work)
I might keep the 54* in play and put the FF 60* back in the bag.

I picked up a barely used 56* for a sweet $75. I’ve yet to get it on the course, but my work on the range with it has been promising. Of course, I’ve been struggling along just trying to use my gap wedge around the greens for a while. Who knows if this one is gonna work better than any other higher lofted wedge would have for me.

Just saw the CB wedges and honestly I can't get past the full face grooves. Don't know why, just a mental block for me I guess because I can't frame the ball. Oh well..

I am lobbying my better half every day to let me try these wedges. No success yet, but I’m nothing if not persistent, good looking, and intelligent.

Just saw the CB wedges and honestly I can't get past the full face grooves. Don't know why, just a mental block for me I guess because I can't frame the ball. Oh well..
Have you ever tried full face grooves? I actually liked them on my PM grind wedge. You might be surprised by your reaction the first time you hit one out of the crap, look down and realize your ball nearly missed the clubface but you still got grooves on it :)

I am about 99% that I'm going to update the bag to include more forgiving wedges before next season. I'd like to find a way to demo this offering

Have you ever tried full face grooves? I actually liked them on my PM grind wedge. You might be surprised by your reaction the first time you hit one out of the crap, look down and realize your ball nearly missed the clubface but you still got grooves on it :)
Other than a fitting bay no. If I get a chance to hit one a few times on a course I'll come back. It's nothing against Callaway, I didn't like the Cleveland full face or the Taylormade Hi-Toe and I did test those on a course...same reason. I will try and find a Callaway to test.

Been hitting these in the dome over the weekend and that more I use them, the more I like them.
They play a little light for me however if I can slow my swing down to feel the club - they are deadly accurate.
The Dome had two baskets to chip to, one about 25 yards and another 40ish.
Using the 58* I hit both baskets within 5 balls of trying - I hit one so early in the session that the person in the next station said to me "Well, I guess you're done for the day"

The results that stand out to me is the consistency across the face. I can hit them almost anywhere on the face and I get the same distance.
Maybe not the same accuracy as centered strike but same distance.

Last edited:
Looked like a big break in the thread posts until @Iceman! shared his awesomeness this morning. Anyone else playing these right now?

I have yet to see a single one on course outside of one friend, even though they're sold just about everywhere here

Been hitting these in the dome over the weekend and that more I use them, the more I like them.
They play a little light for me however if I can slow my swing down to feel the club - they are deadly accurate.
The Dome had two baskets to chip to, one about 25 yards and another 40ish.
Using the 58* I hit both baskets within 5 balls of trying - I hit one so early in the session that the person in the next station said to me "Well, I guess you're done for the day"

The results that stand out to me is the consistency across the face. I can hit them almost anywhere on the face and I get the same distance.
Maybe not the same accuracy as centered strike but same distance.
The weight is the one thing that worries me. They do feel super light in hand. I like the shape of the head tho.

Back