What do you chip with?

Why not use a less lofted club and hit a real bump and run, instead of a simulated bump and run?

Kevin
If you use the same club for a variety of different pitches, and can do this successfully merely by delofting the club, the likelyhood is that you will develop better feel with that one club that you use.

Compare this with a player who uses nearly every club in the bag and I know who my money would be on.

I normally play my 56 with reasonable results, on the odd occasion when, to be more traditional, I have taken a 7 out, I find myself going way past where I intended the ball to stop. No feel!!

Last edited:
My 56 is the default chipper. Been goofing around with the 49 Niblick and it could take over the chip duties.

Typically anything from 8-iron to LW. I get into trouble when I rely too heavily on the higher lofted clubs exclusively. When I get it on the ground quickly, I fare much better. As always though, lie and pin placement dictate choice.

Honestly I find myself chipping with everything from my 58* wedge down to my 7 iron.

+2. I chip with a hybrid, wedges, irons....It just depends ont the situation.

If you use the same club for a variety of different pitches, and can do this successfully merely by delofting the club, the likelyhood is that you will develop better feel with that one club that you use.

Compare this with a player who uses nearly every club in the bag and I know who my money would be on.

I'd bet on the guy who can chip with more than one club, every time.

Since you changed to most frequently, I would say PW or 9I.

Occasional use of just about every other club in the bag though excluding driver, 4I, 5I.

I'm rethinking my approach to chipping by the green. I usually use a 52 or 56 wedge, but after some advice from JB, I'm going to start working with a bit less loft unless I really need it.

Anything and everything. Depends on the lie, how much green I have to work with, etc. 8i, 9i, PW, Niblick, GW, LW, hybrid.

I think it's good to have various shots with various clubs for a variety of situations. Variety is good

Is anyone else in the same boat with me just about only using a 60?
I have used my 60 forever and can seem to hit a lot of shots with it (high lob and low bump n run).
What do yall think about this using one club to hit a bunch of shots?

Being versatile is always a good thing. Having a club that is versatile is a great thing on the golf course.

I also think that the 60* wedge is one of the hardest to hit on the golf course and when it comes to chipping unless a certain shot dictates the need for more air, there is no reason to use it for my game. The angle of the club head on a 60* wedge would (for me) be prone to mistakes. I would also find it to be something that has no reason to hit a bump and run with. The idea behind a bump and run is pretty simple and high loft to put the bull in the air longer than it needs to be, is not really the best solution for it in my opinion.

I used to chip (bump and run) with an 8 iron. This year I've moved down to a 7 iron. Obviously, if i need to clear a patch of rough or whatever, I may hit a PW or whatever club is needed, but 7 iron is my primary chipping club.

Being versatile is always a good thing. Having a club that is versatile is a great thing on the golf course.

I also think that the 60* wedge is one of the hardest to hit on the golf course and when it comes to chipping unless a certain shot dictates the need for more air, there is no reason to use it for my game. The angle of the club head on a 60* wedge would (for me) be prone to mistakes. I would also find it to be something that has no reason to hit a bump and run with. The idea behind a bump and run is pretty simple and high loft to put the bull in the air longer than it needs to be, is not really the best solution for it in my opinion.

I never can seem to get the distance right with a 7 or 8 iron. If I were to practice more it may help me a little with the distance, but I love my 60 haha :D

I'm all over the board here, starting with 8i, PW, 56* & 60*. It depends on what is "in the way for me."

The theory behind less loft is simple. It's easier to predict how a ball will roll than it is to predict how it will fly.

The theory behind less loft is simple. It's easier to predict how a ball will roll than it is to predict how it will fly.

Yes, that's what my grandpa always tried to preach to me. I just never got the hang of it I guess.

I love chipping with my 60 degree more than any other club. I don't know if it is more where I play, but I can always tend to get spin when I need it and chip it close. Although I love my 60 degree it can get me in trouble sometimes. What do all of you fellow THPers chip with? There is a ton of differential between everyone's preferences. PW, 56, 60, or even 64? and Why?

80% of the time I use my 56*. Then I either use the 52*, or PW. I have just started to take out the 60* and have had encouraging results. But if I put it in the bag I'm not sure yet what club to take out.

Yup, this. :thumb:

For me, a lot depends on the green speed and how far I have to carry vs. how far the ball will roll. Most chipping situations seem to lead me to my 51° GW, but I also us the PW, 8I, and only when truly needed, my 56° SW. :golf2:

P.S. The OP may notice that I don't even carry a 60°

MY 56*. That's what I chip with 99.9% of the time....

The reason I use the 56* all the time is that I follow the advice given by Stan Utley in his book. I can close my club down so it plays like a 7 or 8 iron or use it like a sand wedge. I believe that the more I persevere with this, the more feel I will develop with that one club.

If you put me next to another player with the same level of skill and gave us six different shots, from six different distances and six different lies and I only used my 56* and he used six different clubs, I think I would give myself more chances of getting up and down than he would.

That may be an extreme example but, that's how I see it.

I agree with this. there's no reason to be bump and running with a 60*. Ever.

It just depends on the situation for me. If I have a lot of green to work with, and I am hitting a bump and run, I do it with my gap wedge. If I don.t have a lot of green, and need to stop quickly, then I will use my 60*, but if it is a tight lie, I may just putt it.

I chip with only two clubs - my 52* AW and my 7 iron, depending on the lie of course. I've holed quite a few chips with my trusty 7 iron - with the right lie, I'll be licking my chops, thinking "birdie"!

You can expect an answer like this because we see it in every thread like this but:

It all depends on the lie, slope, and pin position. I range from 7/PW/52/56/60

Most often my 56.

Same here. Different situations call for different clubs. I'll add distance to lie, slope and pin position. Distance because I've used my 5 iron for loooooong amount of green to the pin. I've even used my 5 iron from just off the green for 40+ green to a pin.

Back