Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 4.5
I thought I would start a new thread to discuss what comes next in the NBA.

It is going to be must watch for those who love this league. How do owners and players come together on a way to address revenue shortfall? What does the league do to reverse diminishing viewership? Does the league do anything to discourage player activism at the arenas? What teams will challenge for a title next year? Who will coach James Hardin? The list goes on.

It is going to be must watch for those who love this league. How do owners and players come together on a way to address revenue shortfall? What does the league do to reverse diminishing viewership? Does the league do anything to discourage player activism at the arenas? What teams will challenge for a title next year? Who will coach James Hardin? The list goes on.
All good questions...Thought you were giving me the answers! ;)

Probably have to name this one the NBA 2021-2021 thread 😆 I’m not expecting basketball before the start of the new year :(

Free agency starts on 10/18 and the NBA Draft is 11/18. No rest for the weary, I’m sure the league office and team front offices are putting in long hours for the upcoming season and to address the many obstacles today’s sports franchises are facing.

Probably have to name this one the NBA 2021-2021 thread 😆 I’m not expecting basketball before the start of the new year :(

Free agency starts on 10/18 and the NBA Draft is 11/18. No rest for the weary, I’m sure the league office and team front offices are putting in long hours for the upcoming season and to address the many obstacles today’s sports franchises are facing.
😂 You are correct. There definitely will be no basketball until 2021, but there will be good drama. What team will actually dare draft a Ball brother number one in the draft? At least the next Ball brother signed with Puma, rather than his dad’s ”shoe” company.

Some of what I am interested in:

when the season starts and how many games do they play
the revenue issue and its effect on salary cap and salaries going forward
what Golden State does with the second pick - I think it will be part of a trade
how some of the new coaches work out especially with the Clippers and the Rockets

2021: Return of The Process
1602859307975.jpeg

Reports are coming out that the season will begin December 22 and will include 72 games.

Reports are coming out that the season will begin December 22 and will include 72 games.
Happy it’s coming early and we’re getting nearly a full season, but disappointed it looks like we’re not going to have fans as quickly as I hoped.

They want to take advantage of Christmas as that has become a big day for them as far as televised games.

Utah Jazz have a sale agreement in place.

Details starting to come out on the sale. $1.7B 🤯

Its going to the right guy as far as not moving the team, etc.

I thought the league folded?

Its going to the right guy as far as not moving the team, etc.

Despite no championships, the Jazz have been a very successful franchise. And it's great to see a lifelong fan purchase the team.

I thought the league folded?
That would make the $1.7B for a franchise in Utah a curious investment.

In other news, the 76ers continue to strengthen their coaching staff and front office.

Despite no championships, the Jazz have been a very successful franchise. And it's great to see a lifelong fan purchase the team.

I dont think any team you could say otherwise. See the last Clippers sale.

I was shocked when I saw the news about the Jazz sale. The new owner is 40 years old and sold his company in 2018 for a reported $8 billion. The Miller family had owned the Jazz for 35 years. They own a string of car dealerships, movie theaters and other assets. I really wonder if this was brought on in large part because of the tremendous hit in cash flow that the family businesses must be enduring with movie theaters being closed and a good part of the arena-generated NBA revenue lost for last year and no guarantee as to when it will be restored.

The new owner will be the youngest in the NBA. He appears to be flush with cash and is emotionally invested to keeping the franchise in Salt Lake City. I am breathing a sigh of relief. I would have been depressed to lose this team from our local market.

The Miller family is retaining a minority interest. It is unknown what percentage. However, to sell less than 100% of the franchise for upwards of $1.7 B in a market the size of Salt Lake City tells us that NBA franchises have retained great value, despite the current challenges and headwinds.

Last edited:
Wow! Crazy revenue and expense figures from the bubble and interesting numbers on the 19-20 season.

I was shocked when I saw the news about the Jazz sale. The new owner is 40 years old and sold his company in 2018 for a reported $8 billion. The Miller family had owned the Jazz for 35 years. They own a string of car dealerships, movie theaters and other assets. I really wonder if this was brought on in large part because of the tremendous hit in cash flow that the family businesses must be enduring with movie theaters being closed and a good part of the arena-generated NBA revenue lost for last year and no guarante

The new owner will be the youngest in the NBA. He appears to be flush with cash and is emotionally invested to keeping the franchise in Salt Lake City. I am breathing a sigh of relief. I would have been depressed to lose this team from our local market.

The Miller family is retaining a minority interest. It is unknown what percentage. However, to sell less than 100% of the franchise for upwards of $1.7 B in a market the size of Salt Lake City tells us that NBA franchises have retained great value, despite the current challenges and headwinds.

I wonder if estate tax issues have an effect also. I seem to recall them having an effect where the family has attempted to keep ownership in the family.

I wonder if estate tax issues have an effect also. I seem to recall them having an effect where the family has attempted to keep ownership in the family.
Good question. I know that the family had announced that the team had been put into a legacy trust, which restricted its sale. I think the team was owned by a family business entity, so I would be surprised if there were estate issues, but I really don’t know.

Now this is pretty cool!

Other interesting developments include players pushing back on a December 22 start date.

Out west I’m intrigued by what assorted teams will do. The Lakers have a lot of other interesting roster decisions to make and may trade for a 3rd main player; thank gawd AD is apparently returning. The Clippers apparently had internal griping about preferential treatment Kawai received...there may be some roster turnover to deal with the malcontents. Golden State is going to be back...all of their key guys have some mileage on the tread; what can they do with that 2nd pick? Portland will have its two key big guys for a full season. Utah and Denver aren’t going anywhere. And above all that there’s plenty of talk veterans from the final 4 teams may take the first month off...can the west teams really afford for that to happen given the overall strength of the conference?

Other interesting developments include players pushing back on a December 22 start date.

This will be an interesting thing to watch. It's going to be all about $$$$$$$.

Back