Too Cold for Golf?

dacatalyst41

#ReptheG #RocktheChev
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
A twitter exchange full of 7 clothing layer references and wind readings led me to ask post this simple question to THP'ers.

Under what conditions is it too cold to golf? What's your breakpoint and where do you live?

I have played in hail storms and freezing temperatures. I teed off last week when it was 38*. Layering is your friend.

I live in upstate NY. To me, it’s not only the temperature, it’s also the wind. I played Sunday with a high of 48 and little wind. That was fine. As long as I can keep my hands and ears warm, I’m generally fine with playing.

Before last weekend, I would have said if it's too cold for shorts, it's too cold for golf. But I played in 48 degree weather and layered up and was not bothered at all by the cold. I need to upgrade my cold weather golf apparel and as long as it's not wet or windy, I'll expand my golf weather threshold.

I try to avoid playing when the high is below 50

I have played in hail storms and freezing temperatures. I teed off last week when it was 38*. Layering is your friend.
Was @KEV with you? Nevermind... In any case. How many layers for those conditions?

• Haha
Reactions: KEV
Eh, 70s in the day...mornings a bit chilly in the 50s, but layering works!

Western Ohio, I can take 30’s when the sun is out but add in wind that’s a negative. Mist, wind, add 10 degrees for each for a minimum playing temperature is my rule of thumb. Cold downpours isn’t enjoyable to even entertain the idea 🥶.

I am a wuss in the cold. True story: We went hunting one year and the temp was like 15 or something. Another hunter walked past me and just laughed. I was sitting in my stand with a sleeping bag wrapped around me and ear phones over my ears to keep warm. No interest in cold.

Anything colder then 50 and I am out. Time to head to the simulator indoors.

If they’ll let me on the course I’ll play. One round last winter it was 19* when we teed off. I still can’t believe they let us on

Sub 30° is really dumb.

Sub 20° is not enjoyable

I’m always game to golf though 🤷🏽‍♂️

It’s only too cold when the courses close. If they are open, I’m playing. But I live in WI, so I have to take advantage when I can. Played in 37 last weekend that cooled to 33 by the time we finished.

40° is usually my low point. A lot of that depends on wind and that is the key, sun has to be out and temp going up at the wind picks up. At 40 the wind needs to be slight, 50 i can go to 10-12 60 we are up to 15mph. This also depends on time of year here in Kansas. Loose layers and good gloves are important and usually walking.

My late father-in-law was an avid duck hunter and golfer. We once played a course in central NJ on New Year’s Day when it was 4 degrees. It was calm and brilliantly sunny. It took the water hazards out of play. I would not do it again.

I am a wuss in the cold. True story: We went hunting one year and the temp was like 15 or something. Another hunter walked past me and just laughed. I was sitting in my stand with a sleeping bag wrapped around me and ear phones over my ears to keep warm. No interest in cold.

Anything colder then 50 and I am out. Time to head to the simulator indoors.
Haha! Same happened to me. Sold my rifle the next week.

I think I've played in every month of the year here in NE Ohio. But my tolerance for cold grows less as I grow older. I'm built more for comfort than for speed these days!

Sub 30° is really dumb.

Sub 20° is not enjoyable

I’m always game to golf though 🤷🏽‍♂️
Sounds like slapstick hockey but okay. Haha

Usually is, ground is frozen and you watch the balls bounce 20 yards in the air when you hit a fairway/green/cartpath/rock at that point its all the same lol

no body checks though which is a win
You can also bounce it over water hazards...

In 2008 8 of us played Bandon Dunes in early April. We had to sweep the hail off the first green. We played 36 a day in 15-20 mph wind in the low 40's with the rain going sideways. I hit a full driver into the wind on a 129 yard par 3 and ended up pin high 8 feet from the pin. My caddies dad had shaped the bunkers so he gave me the best advice I've ever had on any course. I won the only tournament I ever won over those memorable 4 days.
Best time I ever had on a golf course. Weather doesn't matter. We only have a finite number of rounds during our time here. It's all about the golf..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back