Cleveland RTX ZipCore vs CBX2 Wedges

Anything that challenges conventional thinking is good and I am for. I love these tech studio segments for that reason.

I am just wondering if 5 full swing with two clubs really shows what you are saying. Not that what you are saying is wrong. I don’t think it is. But, Where does the trade off or give and take start to show?

half shots? 3 quarter? If you wanted to flight one Up or down? Etc? There has to be something you are gaining or losing with one design or the other..
Yeah, it's been discussed a bit in the thread, but a great question for those who are looking to use CBX2 through the wedges, or have an affinity for flighting/shaping wedges. Me? I'm the kind of guy who'd rather play straight line or full swing numbers until I'm at that 100ish yard mark aka my 58 degree. Anything outside that, I'd treat no differently than my perspective on irons.

Yeah, it's been discussed a bit in the thread, but a great question for those who are looking to use CBX2 through the wedges, or have an affinity for flighting/shaping wedges. Me? I'm the kind of guy who'd rather play straight line or full swing numbers until I'm at that 100ish yard mark aka my 58 degree. Anything outside that, I'd treat no differently than my perspective on irons.

so are you putting these in the bag?

Of course it matters... Asked differently, What club does foregiveness not matter in? You have putters with ridiculous MOI, which is supposed to be a measure of foregiveness... Why would you need foregiveness in the easiest club to hit in the bag?

Switching to PING Glide 2.0s was a noticeable upgrade in the quality of my mis-hits compared to a traditional Cleveland wedge and even their old RTX 2.0 CB.

This is why I’ve been considering getting a 50* CBX2 in place of my 58*. I currently carry Hogan 50, 54 and 58... I love the wedges for pitching and chipping but on full swings my miss is on the toe and I’d like a little more forgiveness. So for kicks, I’m looking at carrying two 50’s and a 54.... My 58 is rarely used anymore because I’m trying to be more versatile with my less lofted clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This is why I’ve been considering getting a 50* CBX2 in place of my 58*. I currently carry Hogan 50, 54 and 58... I love the wedges for pitching and chipping but on full swings my miss is on the toe and I’d like a little more forgiveness. So for kicks, I’m looking at carrying two 50’s and a 54.... My 58 is rarely used anymore because I’m trying to be more versatile with my less lofted clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If your miss is high toe (really easy in the rough if you have a habit of getting handsy), the CB wedge is going to get you noticeably closer to the target. It's physics.

Thanks Canadan for the great review. I’ve been gaming the cbx2 50 and 54 for about a year and my swing is nowhere as good.. but my misses seems much more manageable.

Great review. I like the Zipcore but the CBX2's/ CBX Full face are better for me as well.

This came up in my feed in YouTube.
What a great video, I really like the direction the tech studio is headed and the quality of content is getting better and better. Well done THP team.
I game a CBX 2 56° wedge and I love it but truthfully I did not expect the results from the video.
I get drop and stop performance from anything 40 yards and out but on full swings I don't seem to get the pull back that I get from my Vokey 50°. I don't know why that is but actually I suppose it's better as it always pulls me further away from the hole!
I'm surprised to hear people say they struggle with full swings as I personally find it to be very nice on full shots. The sole is amazing through any hardness of turf and really lends itself to those low high spinning clippers.
6a44ba9d98217d707e42bc56306b8506.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I just replaced my 50 degree Cobra King wedge with a 50 degree CBX2. Only one round so far with it, but so far I am seeing more manageable misses. Both wedges are great when it hit them in the center, but the CBX2 keeps me out of trouble when I get "toey" with my strikes. Feels better so far on full swings when I need to get 100-110 yards out of it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

This came up in my feed in YouTube.
What a great video, I really like the direction the tech studio is headed and the quality of content is getting better and better. Well done THP team.
I game a CBX 2 56° wedge and I love it but truthfully I did not expect the results from the video.
I get drop and stop performance from anything 40 yards and out but on full swings I don't seem to get the pull back that I get from my Vokey 50°. I don't know why that is but actually I suppose it's better as it always pulls me further away from the hole!
I'm surprised to hear people say they struggle with full swings as I personally find it to be very nice on full shots. The sole is amazing through any hardness of turf and really lends itself to those low high spinning clippers.
6a44ba9d98217d707e42bc56306b8506.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
Yeah. I found them to be lethal on full swings when I reviewed them and gamed a full set for a while.

I guess some forgiveness helps, but everything is a tradeoff. CB's can be less accurate than blades but it depends on the design.I attempt 3/4 smooth swings from the fairway on PW-LW and as a result, forgiveness is typically not an issue.

I guess some forgiveness helps, but everything is a tradeoff. CB's can be less accurate than blades but it depends on the design.I attempt 3/4 smooth swings from the fairway on PW-LW and as a result, forgiveness is typically not an issue.

We discuss this quite a bit in the latest episode of Off Course.
I'm curious if you watched the video yet, because the accuracy is addressed there with data too.

We discuss this quite a bit in the latest episode of Off Course.
I'm curious if you watched the video yet, because the accuracy is addressed there with data too.

Yes, I did watch the video.

You have two wedges of the same manufacturer - it seems you can state that in this test between these two wedges, the CB was more accurate. But I don't think one can take that result and attribute it to the entire universe of wedges. The result is interesting as motivation to do additional research.

We all react differently to different clubs - fitting is key, as you know.

Last edited:
I FINALLY had a chance to see the Zipcore wedges in person last week, and they absolutely did not disappoint!

Thanks for the comparison of these two... good thing I've got time before next season to do more thinking.

Great video @Canadan. For me I’m not real sure how to answer the question. I’ve tried tons of wedges and found that one particular brand just seems to work best for me. Consistency wise I had problems with both the above. I know it’s my swing not the product but I’ve found one brand just works for me and it’s a blade wedge. That said I no longer take full swings with my 52 or 56. It was just a way to simplify my wedge game and meet the distances I needed to fill.

As far as a set GW being more forgiving, I didn’t find that at all. Actually for me it was the opposite. I could rarely hit the ball to the distance it should be. So I’ve gone with a not set GW.

Hold my beer.

I'm going to the range today with my blade and CB gap wedges.

Great video @Canadan I watched it earlier but I finally have the chance to post my thoughts.

Golf is about minimizing misses. Even the extremely small misses that you had, in a controlled environment, were magnified by the ZipCore. We all know how easy it is for uneven lies, depth/type of rough, etc to influence the type of contact we have during a round. Adding a bit of forgiveness, especially closer to the green, seems like a logical step.

I transitioned from the RTX-3 to the CBX2 shortly after they were introduced. Cleveland conducted a short game clinic during which the CBX2 was available to use along with the current RTX. I found the CBX2 was easier to use on all shots (bunker, chips, full swings) than the RTX in the same conditions. YMMV.

Hold my beer.

I'm going to the range today with my blade and CB gap wedges.

They are overseeding the chipping area and closed the green for my 100 yd shots. Will put this on hold - I know no one is waiting with baited breath. Canadan is the man.

I am gaming CBX2 in 50 and 56 and I love them. They are so easy to hit, and are very versatile around the greens.

They are overseeding the chipping area and closed the green for my 100 yd shots. Will put this on hold - I know no one is waiting with baited breath. Canadan is the man.
All input is good input

Went back and watched this one again after I did my own test yesterday and saw mirroring results.

In the scoring clubs, where precision is king, I think that missing by a groove or slightly to the right or left impacts things more than the comparative cavity back with a bit more tech surrounding the face.

Went back and watched this one again after I did my own test yesterday and saw mirroring results.

In the scoring clubs, where precision is king, I think that missing by a groove or slightly to the right or left impacts things more than the comparative cavity back with a bit more tech surrounding the face.
Do you think this applies to all wedge shots like full swing, half swing, green side chips? Or is there a certain point where the tech wont be as beneficial?

It's been a question on my mind since the video, and during the Podcast with Noelle.

Do you think this applies to all wedge shots like full swing, half swing, green side chips? Or is there a certain point where the tech wont be as beneficial?

It's been a question on my mind since the video, and during the Podcast with Noelle.

Genuine answer is all swings, but with more movement, more room for error exists, so partial shots where you have less movement won't be impacted as much based on my testing.

So a small groove at the very bottom of a face does assist?

I read reviews and people always mention that bottom groove as to its effect

So a small groove at the very bottom of a face does assist?

I read reviews and people always mention that bottom groove as to its effect

Not sure I can pin point how much is a groove vs how much of it is mass and sole design, but channeling away debris for cleaner contact is never really a bad thing I suppose.

In the video, obviously we are dealing with clean contact, and saw similar results.

Back