Review SkyCaddie LX5 Smartwatch Review

Molten

Man Down
Reaction score
Handicap
For modern amateur golfers, technology has the potential to make a round much more enjoyable, and with any luck, faster.  The most ubiquitous piece of technology is the GPS watch, and it can be difficult to standout in the crowded market that has dedicated golf watches, the multi-sport watches, smartwatch apps, and even luxury watches adding golf GPS features.  SkyCaddie found that one way to stand out from the crowd is to pack all the functionality of a handheld GPS into a touchscreen watch that is only slightly larger than normal.  Obviously, this was a tall task but the SkyCaddie LX5 Smartwatch delivers on this ambitious task, although not without some issues.

8.jpg

Any golf-centric GPS watch has to check a few boxes – it needs to provide...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Great review, thanks for the info. Seems like many of these types of devices have some glitches. The vibration alerts would annoy me. My watch will randomly reboot from time to time. Usually right after finishing the first hole.

Well done Gary, hopefully we see them update the firmware when it comes to hole auto advance, seems to be a killer device beyond that.

Thanks for the review Gary! SkyCaddie has name recognition and it sounds like this device delivers on what is expected, minus a few annoyances. I can see someone who doesn't like a hand held rangefinder or prefers a more visual representation of the hole leaning towards this one. If I didn't have a smart watch already, this would be at the top of my list to check out.

Ooh, I like new tech and good review of the watch. It's disappointing to see web sites are slow and it's iffy on hole advancing. Great review!

Just got the go ahead from the wife to upgrade my GPS watch and this and the Garmin S62 are going head to head in my head right now. The screen on the LX5 looks amazing and I really like the hole overview better than the S62. But S62 seems to hit more of what I need and I am not sure I would ever use the SkyCaddie subscription aspect of things since I track shots using Arccos. Decisions, decisions....

Thanks for the review @Molten.

I really enjoyed this review.

I think the plusses seriously outweigh the minuses.

I don't necessarily understand the warranty being so short, with it including a 3 year subscription though.

Very well written @Molten. I am not a fan of subscription models especially when other devices to are similar don't require one. The screen looks fantastic though and thats quite a bit of info for a watch. Lets hope they do a software update at some point.

Great article. This really does look like a very nice watch.

Great review!!! I think every item has some minor fault and this one can be overlooked and not a deal breaker at all.

@Molten outstanding review as always!

5 years for the subscription for $350 isn't a bad deal. Bummer that the setup and signup isn't that seamless.

The autoadvancing especially with vibration could be problematic.

That huge screen is awesome though. I like the basic fitness tracking info too.

@Molten outstanding review as always!

5 years for the subscription for $350 isn't a bad deal. Bummer that the setup and signup isn't that seamless.

The autoadvancing especially with vibration could be problematic.

That huge screen is awesome though. I like the basic fitness tracking info too.

I agree with this.
I was surprised at the small warranty while offering a 5 year service plan.
Maybe I am off, but it appears others like Voice Caddie offer a full year.

I agree with this.
I was surprised at the small warranty while offering a 5 year service plan.
Maybe I am off, but it appears others like Voice Caddie offer a full year.

LOL what would we do if we disagreed 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I forgot about the warranty aspect, if I'm automatically subscribed for 3 years, with a potential 2 year addition, it is a serious red flag if I only have a warranty for 6 months out of a 36-50 month subscription

I have a sky caddie x400 unit that I really like. This would be very cool to have..

So many good comments in here and there are plenty of yellow flags but I didn’t really see any truly red flags. It’s a solid device, great display, and accurate. Yellow flags should give caution but if you still wanted to buy it, I’d say go

So many good comments in here and there are plenty of yellow flags but I didn’t really see any truly red flags. It’s a solid device, great display, and accurate. Yellow flags should give caution but if you still wanted to buy it, I’d say go

And when dealing with Tech, that might be the best part. It looks like an incredible device.

And when dealing with Tech, that might be the best part. It looks like an incredible device.
Find me a perfect device and I’ll call you a lair :ROFLMAO:. I’ve reviewed a lot of tech this year and nothing is perfect. The LX5 hardware is next level good

• Love
Reactions: JB
Awesome review @Molten. My only gripe is the lack of slope measurements. I love the thought of not having to tote around an additional piece of hardware (laser) and just being able to look at my watch, however the differences in detail or lack of as far as measurements to the pin goes, slope is so very important. Or at least it has been to me for the past 2 years.

Something that I didn’t touch on in the review but I think is worth noting is that the LX5 can be fast charged. I forgot to charge all my devices for this mornings round and I hooked it up to a 20w adapter. Although i don’t know what is going through the cord, the device has gained 15% in 15 minutes and it should be done just in time to go to the course.

@Molten I got a chance to try this thing out for 3 holes and I really liked it a lot. Like you, I struggled with the hole advance a bit as it didnt seem to know if I was getting out of the cart approaching the green, or getting back into the cart to go to the next hole, but otherwise the info is great and the screen is fantastic.

@Molten I got a chance to try this thing out for 3 holes and I really liked it a lot. Like you, I struggled with the hole advance a bit as it didnt seem to know if I was getting out of the cart approaching the green, or getting back into the cart to go to the next hole, but otherwise the info is great and the screen is fantastic.
Heck yeah! It’s like one update away from stellar. Fast, accurate, and a decent size for everything that is in it.

I am a fan of SkyGolf products..... I really like the accuracy of their distances...very very accurate!

Heck yeah! It’s like one update away from stellar. Fast, accurate, and a decent size for everything that is in it.

Its super fast, which was impressive. It matched up well to the course GPS screen, which was perfect. Like I said, I only got to try it for 3 holes, but it is pretty darn good.

I wish you could set it so the watch was on all the time or the screen turned on when you lift your arm as the Golf Buddy does. Not having the hole advance automatically along with the subscription and the price being over $100 higher is pushing me to the Golf Buddy aim W10 watch.

Back