Callaway X Forged CB Irons Review

Maybe its the angle or the lighting but there it seems to be much more of a curvature to the '21 sole both the length of the blade and front to back than the '18s Can you confirm?
Here is another photo...sorry I'm not a photographer nor will I ever be one. But I think it might be the offset that makes it look that way. I see them as the same blade length. And this is one of the things I like about the X Forged line. Really forgiving for this type of iron...IMHO.
IMG_0902.JPG

I think about these more and more...but I can't see myself pulling the trigger until the new Apex line is also brought to light. Gotta have all the options on the table before dropping the dough.

I think about these more and more...but I can't see myself pulling the trigger until the new Apex line is also brought to light. Gotta have all the options on the table before dropping the dough.

I'm not sure I'm gonna make it that long :oops:. Double edged sword with winter setting in. Don't need clubs. And, more time to obsess over new gear since I'm not on course LOL.

So if you go for the 21 and 24 deg utility, what’s the first iron in the XFCB set? 5 iron? 6?

So if you go for the 21 and 24 deg utility, what’s the first iron in the XFCB set? 5 iron? 6?
That'd be a 5 for me. Heck of a stretch between a hot 24 and a less hot 29 (CB 6i). Even each bent a degree towards each other might be tough.

I have the 5 iron, working so far. In my old set I had the 24* and 27* UT and went 6 iron. The gapping was perfect for me.

Man the reviews on these are so good! If only I was good at golf...

Probably should not have done it but I ordered a 9 iron to mess around with

It is so hard to make a decision on these. I got a taste of what they'd be like with a bit lower swing speed today, and it was shorter, but man, I hit 5 straight within <1 mph ball speed and 175 spin, and then had no trouble working it both ways still with the IO 6.5 shaft. Really getting excited about that shaft. Notice literally nothing about it at my normal speed, which is my dream in a shaft, and for it not to fight me or feel bad at about 6 mph less was pretty interesting.

So I'm getting a little time in with the 7i right now, because they have the whole set now, but they're not set up to hit yet. No worries about the PW for me from the look, the 4i, which I really value, is pretty small players-ish. Still more offset than I'd like, but it looks pretty good.

Anyway, I'm taking a break from working the daylights out of a 7, and I'm impressed. I'm moving them around as much as I can, and trying different strikes, and they're pretty, pretty good. I can spin one up to about 62/300 or knock it down below 5k pretty easily. Standard shots are right in line with expectations for me. Wife is here now and jotting notes, so I'll post my general spin numbers in a few hitting ProV1.
yeah..first thing I said was "holy offset!". TBH I did actually try the club out at my shop before I pulled a preorder on these. It didn't bother me too much.

yeah..first thing I said was "holy offset!". TBH I did actually try the club out at my shop before I pulled a preorder on these. It didn't bother me too much.
It hasn't bothered me at all in terms of numbers, and they feel great, but it obviously bugs me visually, because I've never hit a club more and not bought it. I still can't make up my mind on them. They confuse me. I don't think I'm willing to tolerate that much offset in something that looks like a players distance club, but isn't. It's offset (and topline) without benefit. For me. Seems like I don't love that.

Nippon Modus 130x. Regret? No regrets. Ask me in a few weeks ;)

View attachment 8972640
My favorite iron and wedge shaft right there.

I played around with the 7i from a fitting cart today. Even though I was not wearing the right stuff (seriously don't try and get a feel in boots/jacket while indoors) I was really impressed. Seeing good ballspeed. Launch was a bit higher than expected and spin was in a good window. My only thing is I wish I could of tried something other than the IO 6.5 and the LZ 6.0 that was more in the weight and profile I like but who knows with the drop in playing I'll do next year if I should also go with the lower weight.

Saw one in hand for the first time looked much better in hand than in pics

did not swing it though

MUCH better in hand. I was surprised.

Saw one in hand for the first time looked much better in hand than in pics

did not swing it though

You should have taken a few swings

What do you think @Scarnici - hunting pins?

Back