L.A.B. Directed Force Putters

Newman21

Reaction score
Handicap
Does anyone have one? Likes/Dislikes? Sound? Feel?

I tried to search for any forum discussions on this putter but couldn't find any really.

There are a few small threads floating around. Some of the guys have tried them, I know @NVGOLFER80 has.

I've always wanted to, but never had the opportunity.

There are a few small threads floating around. Some of the guys have tried them, I know @NVGOLFER80 has.

I've always wanted to, but never had the opportunity.

I do. I like it. Small review here.

it is big, it is not heavy for how big it is. It does not have the best feel. If you are looking for that soft German stainless steel feel you want I get it here.To me it does not feel horrible but it is not soft. It is solid but a touch firm.

You must get fit for it or you will not be happy. With how big to footprint is, and the way it is literally center shafted. As in the center of the head and the design of the putter being “lie angle balanced” you have to get fit so that it comes with the right lie angle for your stroke.

it works.. it really does. If you can get past the ugly of it, the size of it, and everything else it really does work really well. It is easy to line up. The face wants to stay square and flow square to your line.

Last edited:
I do. I like it. Small review here.

it is big, it is not heavy for how big it is. It does not have the best feel. If you are looking for that soft German stainless steel feel you want I get it here.To me it does not feel horrible but it is not soft. It is solid but a touch firm.

You must get fit for it or you will not be happy. With how big the footprint is, and the way it is literally center shafted. As in the center of the head and the design of the putter being “lie angle balanced” you have to get fit so that it comes with the right lie angle for your stroke.

it works.. it really does. If you can get past the ugly of it, the size of it, and everything else it really does work really well. It is easy to line up. The face wants to stay square and flow square to your line.
Thanks! The feel (or lack of) scares me a bit. From YT videos, it seems to be not soft and "pingy" upon impact. I do like how it is different, but hard to do anything like that without a guarantee or return policy which as far as I know they do not offer. Not sure about the online fitting capability either. I just don't know.

I think we have these at my club now and I’m curious, so I’ll see if COVID policy allows for me to test it.

I am surprised more people here on the forum haven’t tried it out. Probably the cost and no return policy I suppose (maybe the look) but we all like to try new things right? and look for the magic unicorn.

Thanks! The feel (or lack of) scares me a bit. From YT videos, it seems to be not soft and "pingy" upon impact. I do like how it is different, but hard to do anything like that without a guarantee or return policy which as far as I know they do not offer. Not sure about the online fitting capability either. I just don't know.

try one.

of these three putters the for left has the softest feel the LAB the firmest.

firm does not mean bad. Some prefer a firmer feel.image.jpg

I am surprised more people here on the forum haven’t tried it out. Probably the cost and no return policy I suppose (maybe the look) but we all like to try new things right? and look for the magic unicorn.

The issue is they are expensive and far from the norm. So that is a huge barrier.

I think I am going to give them a shot. I have reached out to them and sent in a remote fitting video and measurement. Hoping it will work out. It's an investment and hopefully worth it.

I was going to give SeeMore a shot, but tried one out this week and it didn't work well for me at all. My playing partners were saying "man, that putter is just not for you at all". So, LAB Directed Force Reno will be my next attempt for "the one".(y)

I've had 3 over the last three seasons.

Still have one that's in and out of the bag. I putt better with it, there's very little doubt about that. But strangely enough, where it's never bothered me before, it's size has become a mental distraction of sorts.

But as to performance in what has been a trying season for me? Early this summer I had a three round stretch with it of 5 birds, 3 birds and 5 again.

Then I parked the putter!

Figured, I was on and could putt well with anything. Slid back into mediocrity and only put the L.A.B putter back in the bag a couple weeks ago. Went 3 birds, 4 birds, then 1 and switched yet again back to my Scotty Squareback 1.5.

I'm hopelessly fickle.

As to feel, I'm the opposite in that I find it to feel fairly soft. Not "soft" like I perceive my Stroke Lab Seven to be, but certainly not firm. Absolutely feels softer than my Scotty.

Agree that it's not at all heavy as it's appearance may lead one to believe. Crazily well balanced, feels tremendous throughout the stroke.

And same through all 3 I've owned, I also find the ball to come off the face with seemingly less force than other putters. I haven't measured it scientifically but when putting from say about 10', a stroke with the same force with the L.A.B will come up a foot or so shorter than with the Scotty.

I find this to be very advantageous on the quickest of greens because I don't feel apprehensive like I need to be quite as delicate.

From its size, as you can imagine, alignment is a breeze. While I lag quite well with it, I find the putter's strength for me is the confidence inspired on intermediate and especially short putts. I just feel more comfortable as to line and the putter head's alignment when I'm over the ball.

As to MOI and forgiveness, the thing is sensational. I've purposely struck practice putts way out on the heel and the toe and there's virtually no impact as to line and only a minor effect on distance. No exaggeration, it makes me chuckle every time.

Actually, it not being in the bag at the present moment isn't due to my fickle nature, rather my physical condition. My bad back will spasm badly at times with a particular putting posture. Of course, that would be my preferred posture. I'll then have to manipulate the angle of my lean to find a more comfortable position.

For whatever reason, more of a bend is currently working. With only being 5' 9" and adding layers due to cooler weather, the 35" L.A.B. gets hung up some. So it's back to my shorter putters.

Silly reason, I know. But I gotta listen to the back when it barks.

The performance has me totally sold on the product. I've considered grabbing one of their "Blad" versions to perhaps help me with the sudden self-conscious size issue. But like you, I've balked some at the price and not being sure that it would work for me.

But there's not a concern as to the tech, more because I do find the Reno to be SO forgiving that maybe the blade would be less effective for me.

But who am I kidding? It's only a matter of time before I grab one of those too.

Good luck to ya!

Still have one that's in and out of the bag. I putt better with it, there's very little doubt about that. But strangely enough, where it's never bothered me before, it's size has become a mental distraction of sorts.

But as to performance in what has been a trying season for me? Early this summer I had a three round stretch with it of 5 birds, 3 birds and 5 again.

Figured, I was on and could putt well with anything. Slid back into mediocrity and only put the L.A.B putter back in the bag a couple weeks ago. Went 3 birds, 4 birds, then 1 and switched yet again back to my Scotty Squareback 1.5.

I'm hopelessly fickle.

As to feel, I'm the opposite in that I find it to feel fairly soft. Not "soft" like I perceive my Stroke Lab Seven to be, but certainly not firm. Absolutely feels softer than my Scotty.

Agree that it's not at all heavy as it's appearance may lead one to believe. Crazily well balanced, feels tremendous throughout the stroke.

And same through all 3 I've owned, I also find the ball to come off the face with seemingly less force than other putters. I haven't measured it scientifically but when putting from say about 10', a stroke with the same force with the L.A.B will come up a foot or so shorter than with the Scotty.

I find this to be very advantageous on the quickest of greens because I don't feel apprehensive like I need to be quite as delicate.

From its size, as you can imagine, alignment is a breeze. While I lag quite well with it, I find the putter's strength for me is the confidence inspired on intermediate and especially short putts. I just feel more comfortable as to line and the putter head's alignment when I'm over the ball.

As to MOI and forgiveness, the thing is sensational. I've purposely struck practice putts way out on the heel and the toe and there's virtually no impact as to line and only a minor effect on distance. No exaggeration, it makes me chuckle every time.

Actually, it not being in the bag at the present moment isn't due to my fickle nature, rather my physical condition. My bad back will spasm badly at times with a particular putting posture. Of course, that would be my preferred posture. I'll then have to manipulate the angle of my lean to find a more comfortable position.

For whatever reason, more of a bend is currently working. With only being 5' 9" and adding layers due to cooler weather, the 35" L.A.B. gets hung up some. So it's back to my shorter putters.

The performance has me totally sold on the product. I've considered grabbing one of their "Blad" versions to perhaps help me with the sudden self-conscious size issue. But like you, I've balked some at the price and not being sure that it would work for me.

But there's not a concern as to the tech, more because I do find the Reno to be SO forgiving that maybe the blade would be less effective for me.

But who am I kidding? It's only a matter of time before I grab one of those too.

Good luck to ya!
Great review! Thanks!!!!!

Not for $500-$700.
That's a ridiculous price for a putter.
Would you pay that for a driver? Hit the putter a lot more than you do a driver.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I agree with many of the above comments as to soft feel and stability. It's not in my bag because I had trouble with distance control on long putts.

When I start playing more again, I will probably use it once in a while to see ifI can regain distance control on the 25+ foot putts

I'm hopelessly fickle.

Good luck to ya!

What is your average putts per round with the LAB vs your other putters?

I think I want one of these.

What is your average putts per round with the LAB vs your other putters?
I've never kept track, one vs another. But overall it had to be less as I made more birdies and made more of the shorter putts that I'd miss at times with others.

The only thing I could offer as to confidence based off of perceived results is that for the club championship over the last 3 years, along with any match of any importance, the DF/LAB has been in the bag.

That said...

Along with my very recent change to a more bent over stance (more comfortable wrt my back issues, oddly enough), I've also moved closer to the ball. Again, with my 34" putters, not the 35" LAB.

Moving closer improves my line of sight as to target when at address. When just a bit farther away, I perhaps discovered why I tend to lose confidence in my line. Trick of the eye, but one that proved true to me when using the grout line of floor tile.

With my former stance, at address the grout line appears to veer slightly away from me starting about 3' down the line.

Weird, very weird.

Yet when I moved closer with eyes very much over the ball, at address the line to target looked very straight.

Over the last week consisting of 4 rounds, I played my Scotty Squareback 1.5 and rolled the ball every bit as well as I have with the LAB. I didn't make every putt of course but I darned near hit every single intended line.

As I stated in my previous post, the new, more comfortable stance leads the 1" longer LAB to hang up some when wearing an extra layer or two. Frustrating because I want to see how it plays on the course wrt recent adjustments.

I can say though, on the Big Moss in the basement, it's money. But it always has been, regardless of stance.

I've never kept track, one vs another. But overall it had to be less as I made more birdies and made more of the shorter putts that I'd miss at times with others.

The only thing I could offer as to confidence based off of perceived results is that for the club championship over the last 3 years, along with any match of any importance, the DF/LAB has been in the bag.

That said...

Along with my very recent change to a more bent over stance (more comfortable wrt my back issues, oddly enough), I've also moved closer to the ball. Again, with my 34" putters, not the 35" LAB.

Moving closer improves my line of sight as to target when at address. When just a bit farther away, I perhaps discovered why I tend to lose confidence in my line. Trick of the eye, but one that proved true to me when using the grout line of floor tile.

With my former stance, at address the grout line appears to veer slightly away from me starting about 3' down the line.

Weird, very weird.

Yet when I moved closer with eyes very much over the ball, at address the line to target looked very straight.

Over the last week consisting of 4 rounds, I played my Scotty Squareback 1.5 and rolled the ball every bit as well as I have with the LAB. I didn't make every putt of course but I darned near hit every single intended line.

As I stated in my previous post, the new, more comfortable stance leads the 1" longer LAB to hang up some when wearing an extra layer or two. Frustrating because I want to see how it plays on the course wrt recent adjustments.

I can say though, on the Big Moss in the basement, it's money. But it always has been, regardless of stance.

I have a 34.5 LAB and 35 inch in other putters. I like my eyes right inside the ball and slightly back of ball. My feet are about 2 putter head lengths from ball. I am fairly upright - and don't like much of an arc. My lie angle is about 68.5-69. If needed, one can grip down an inch on the 35 to get to 34 - try it if you want. But with the LAB, you need to check you wrist to make certain the sole lies flat on the ground.

Used the LAB putter to my specs today for 9 holes. Extremely easy to line up and stroke. The guys I played with definitely noticed a better stroke from me today. I really had to remind myself that I didn't have to force a specific stroke or try and square up the face or manipulate anything. Line up to your line, figure the speed and let go. Shot 1 over today with several putts that saved me from bogey. We will see if it continues, but I am fully convinced thus far that this is THE ONE for me. I have the 34" @67* lie angle. Love the feel of the grip also. I was expecting to have to really get used to it, but the confidence is instantly there. Very smooth feeling. The strike is not harsh also. There is a very slight "ping" upon impact, but not at all harsh on the ears or "feel".

Very impressed.

So it does sound a little “ting-y” at impact? I typically like a soft putter and know that’s not what I’m getting here. Actually my Ping Vault 2.0 is not soft, but it’s quiet.

So it does sound a little “ting-y” at impact? I typically like a soft putter and know that’s not what I’m getting here. Actually my Ping Vault 2.0 is not soft, but it’s quiet.
It has a slight "ting" upon impact but not anywhere compared to the old pings out there from years ago. The "ting" does not come across as "hard" or "bouncy" to me. Just a very subtle "ting". The impact feel is very soft and not harsh at all. Hope that makes sense.

Very controllable feel (if that makes sense) upon impact. I am coming from a Callaway O-works with the micro-hinge face and it is different sound-wise for sure to the LAB but it is not a distraction or alarming to me at all.

No, it is a soft feel. In fact, the feel surprises all who try it. The milling on the aluminum face is deep. I don't remember any tink. But "hold my beer" while I get it out of the closet later tonight.

Also, the ball comes off the milled face like a BOSS. Instant roll it seems to me. I didn't have any weird off line putts today. Point and shoot is the game here.

Back