Wilson Staff Model R Golf Balls

Oh Wilson... you release a great looking iron at a great price. You have decent driver coming down the pipe soon.. you appear to be making good decisions and be on a good path..

then you go and do this..

If paint throws the ball offline, why would anyone buy a personalized ball from their website. Doesn't it take paint to put a custom picture on one side of the ball?

The Wilson site has them at $44.99 for the regular STAFF ball.

Then they are either on sale or being discounted already, because they sent us info at $50.
Interesting.

No way I'd try these at $50.

I hope Bryson considered the implications of paint on the ball before re-signing with Bridgestone 🙄

I’m so confused!

Interesting message but I have not see too man well struck shots drift left or right by that much and $50 is a bit high for a Wilson ball.

I shouldn't feel sorry for a big company but these guys can't catch a break on this site. Perhaps it's justified. It did cross my mind that if you don't paint it you could charge less but maybe it doesn't matter. If people want it they will pay for it. I have played the STAFF ball and liked it. I am not good enough to go on about what it does better or worse. If I was a ball I would be worn out after the safari I take a ball on. One senses things have to get better at W/S or changes will occur.
One thing that never changes....Well written article by JB. Well done.
I took a few of the Wilson Balls out of the Baller Box and put them in play, loved the ball, hated the subscription model to get them.

Where do I send my Duos to have their paint removed?

At $50 a dozen?! I think NOT! I have played the Duo Soft in the past and they weren't bad at all. But, claiming that paint, even their painted balls, "might" go off that far? This is hilarity at it finest! Like @TCB2010 said, I'll forward you my resume as well. HAHAHA!! I'd love to make that kind of money and come up with some crazier stuff than this. Tell you what, let's just put my 8yr old in charge. He's got some ZANY ideas!

Yet another dumb decision by Wilson. WTH is wrong with them? $50, for a Wilson? Nope:nono:

Wilson/Staff is the ‘2020’ of the golf world. Just when you think it can’t get any worse...raw golf balls!!!:mad: Let’s fix a problem that may or may not be a problem! Let’s put time, money, R&D, marketing into fixing a minor cosmetic flaw in the manufacturing process by eliminating that process....then...THEN... charging the exact same for a ball with more steps to produce? Really?! Let’s not work on our horrendous marketing issues...or that our brand isn’t connecting with average golfers...or are head-scratching pricing schedule...or maybe that we can’t make a driver or metal wood that can compete with top OEMs...or that our Tour presence is one guy who won the U.S. Open last year, who only plays our irons and we completely dropped the ball on marketing that major win and a bunch of mid to low tier guys that play 4 year old equipment. But, hey...raw balls!

I think Wilson either needs better quality control and or a better paint procedure if they are doing this “raw ball” marketing.

I think this is kind of gimmicky, but I’d try them at $19.99 or $24.99 a dozen. Not $50. I’m not so certain I’d even pay $30. This poor company is so lost.

We talk about the staining in the article. It will definitely occur. How much it bothers you is subjective I believe.
I seen that I was referring to they made mention that the paint of other balls wouldn’t be perfect and adversely affect the flight would the same occur if adding a stain or debris to the ball in affecting the balls flight would it be to the same degree as the paint or lesser per there tests?

Basically: sometimes paint is good, sometimes it's bad.

I seen that I was referring to they made mention that the paint of other balls wouldn’t be perfect and adversely affect the flight would the same occur if adding a stain or debris to the ball in affecting the balls flight would it be to the same degree as the paint or lesser per there tests?

Probably not. Paint will be thicker and pooling could be even more so. Staining wouldn't change much, debris such as something stuck to a ball could, but that could really happen to any ball.

Nike Golf says thanks, our shirts aren't this strange.

Interesting to bash a new product without doing any testing. I would be interested to read how this ball compares in performance to other premium tour balls on the market. It’s clear that you don’t agree with Wilson’s marketing, price point, or ideas but some readers don’t mind spending a little more for a golf ball it it performs. I personally would be willing to spend the same (or a few bucks more) on this ball instead of a Pro-V simply because I like the brand, and it’s different than what my buddies are playing. As long as it performs.

This messaging is curious for sure. I'm not sure who green lit this, but oof. Time will tell if there's any validity to their assertions about paint (even if it's limited to their internal processes), but at $50 a dozen, I think they're pricing a lot of golfers who'd normally be curious out.

Interesting to bash a new product without doing any testing. I would be interested to read how this ball compares in performance to other premium tour balls on the market. It’s clear that you don’t agree with Wilson’s marketing, price point, or ideas but some readers don’t mind spending a little more for a golf ball it it performs. I personally would be willing to spend the same (or a few bucks more) on this ball instead of a Pro-V simply because I like the brand, and it’s different than what my buddies are playing. As long as it performs.

Assumption that this hasnt been tested. :)

As the article states, it is the same ball as the Staff Model, which I have personally said multiple times is very good and have tested it thoroughly. According to Wilson, they are eliminating variables in performance, which we did not find with their painted ball.

Back