Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

And they do look good out in the daylight too....

78431F17-6414-4FBC-982E-7355A3F2D540.jpeg8445C89F-EFF6-4811-8348-E17C93ECCB22.jpeg423D3597-4404-4D03-A335-B6FD7702F7D7.jpeg5C7FFCB3-365F-4E0C-BED9-20896791EE75.jpeg77400F41-1452-47AB-96DF-8EC1D3CECA82.jpegDC7B2AF6-A44C-4EE0-9DF3-43A0AD6454F7.jpeg

These look lovely. Those soles call to me. Lower spin concerns me a bit, but I doubt I would have any trouble holding greens based on hitting z785 with px shafts. If pre-orders were today I’d press the button on zx7 W-6 and zx5 5-4. I’d have to think about lofts a bit for the blending. I hope they make recommendations like Mizuno did with jpx921 line and TM did with p7 series. They also have the awkward 5* gaps at the short end like Mizuno. 🤬 Shaft may take some thinking and testing in other clubs. Odds are I would toss in the recoil 110’s f5 from my mmc’s. Putting it all together, I can see this happening.

And now the wait happens.

Soles look really well balanced on these 👀 👀

They look great! Cant wait to hear how they play outside in the sunshine too!
They’ve been out and about, I used that info to help write the article as well. I just couldn’t capture data outside because, well, Oklahoma.

Shane Lowery, 2019 Open Championship
GMac, 2010 US Open

Couple of major winners there
Keegan Bradley has a few wins with Srixon Irons, as does Matsuyama as does several other tour players.

I am looking forward to these, having played the 585 (4-5 iron) and the 787 (6-PW) for close to two years. I really liked this combo and have tested almost everything out there against it (CF 19 pros, Cobra Forged Tec, TM 770, TM 7Mb), and they came out on top in feel, distance, and even forgiveness. My only complaint is te 585 feel a little harsh on impacts a little high on the face, compared to similar strikes on 785, and I am not a huge fan of the cavity in the back of the 585 being open visually (minor issue though).

My hope for the Zx5 and Zx7 is that they are just as good as the 787/585's, and bonus if they are a little better. I am interested to see how the sole notch near the hosel on the bottom further helps turf interaction (they brought this feature back from the 745 line). Other than liking nice shiny new things, I think the current irons are starting to wear our (probably 175 or so rounds and probably twice that in range sessions). So definitely time for a new set.

I am looking forward to these, having played the 585 (4-5 iron) and the 787 (6-PW) for close to two years. I really liked this combo and have tested almost everything out there against it (CF 19 pros, Cobra Forged Tec, TM 770, TM 7Mb), and they came out on top in feel, distance, and even forgiveness. My only complaint is te 585 feel a little harsh on impacts a little high on the face, compared to similar strikes on 785, and I am not a huge fan of the cavity in the back of the 585 being open visually (minor issue though).

My hope for the Zx5 and Zx7 is that they are just as good as the 787/585's, and bonus if they are a little better. I am interested to see how the sole notch near the hosel on the bottom further helps turf interaction (they brought this feature back from the 745 line). Other than liking nice shiny new things, I think the current irons are starting to wear our (probably 175 or so rounds and probably twice that in range sessions). So definitely time for a new set.
Did you give this one a read?

Yes, mentioned in the iron review, it’s a thing (y)
I definitely saw in the article that combo sets are a thing that is expected and designed for, but my question really is whether there is expected to be a separate SKU for the combo set, similar to what Srixon has offered in the past.

I definitely saw in the article that combo sets are a thing that is expected and designed for, but my question really is whether there is expected to be a separate SKU for the combo set, similar to what Srixon has offered in the past.
Based on the info we have, their push is they can combo anywhere with any club, ultimate options and no limited SKU

Based on the info we have, their push is they can combo anywhere with any club, ultimate options and no limited SKU

I hope this is a trend that we see continue. I'm not quite ready for it from a skill perspective, but I love having this option.

Concerned about the low spin. Have to get some on course feedback using the right golf ball. I looked at the launch angle and decent along with spin. These variables make me wonder about the stopping power. Especially on a wet or damp green or one with a front to back slope. If the new irons can't perform in real world conditions then they won't stay in the bag very long.

Going to game them against my new Callaways' and compile a fairly comprehensive database. Basically, going to the same course using the same ball but hitting into the greens with my set of Callaway's and the same for the Srixons. They will have to perform well to keep up with my other two sets.

Concerned about the low spin. Have to get some on course feedback using the right golf ball. I looked at the launch angle and decent along with spin. These variables make me wonder about the stopping power. Especially on a wet or damp green or one with a front to back slope. If the new irons can't perform in real world conditions then they won't stay in the bag very long.

Going to game them against my new Callaways' and compile a fairly comprehensive database. Basically, going to the same course using the same ball but hitting into the greens with my set of Callaway's and the same for the Srixons. They will have to perform well to keep up with my other two sets.
As mentioned many many times in here, the data was recorded in mats and it always impacts my numbers, however even with that the descent angles and peak will hold anything. More that that, I have had them on the course extensively and there have been no issues at all.

In the end, individual fit matters most, but there is nothing to jump to conclusions on these toward the negative.

Did you give this one a read?
Meaning your review, yes I did, I commented yesterday I liked it.. If you mean proofread my post, I did not (guilty).

Meaning your review, yes I did, I commented yesterday I liked it.. If you mean proofread my post, I did not (guilty).
Hahaha, definitely not the proofreading one, I’m terrible there! :ROFLMAO:

I really do believe these are the best Z irons they’ve produced yet, and to this day hold the 765 in extremely high regard.

Hahaha, definitely not the proofreading one, I’m terrible there! :ROFLMAO:

I really do believe these are the best Z irons they’ve produced yet, and to this day hold the 765 in extremely high regard.
Yes, definitely saw that. The 785/585 combo are the best that I have hit ever. Very much looking forward to Zx's. The shafts that I ordered in the Zx set I have coming I did switch to the S400 TI, from Modus 120x soft stepped, so in reality my only concern is that I made a good switch in terms of shaft. I used to play the s400's and are often fit into this shaft, so I don't think it will be an issue, and if I don't like them I will just pull my current shafts and put them into the new Zx's.

love those soles, they remind me of my old cleveland wedges i play.
sole width (7i) on the zx7 17.1, zx5 20.7
oh boy also look at that black glove 🔥 @Jman

These will definitely get a test in the spring. I think it will come down to these or the JPX9221. Darkhorse will be the APEX or whatever Callaway releases new if they do. I want the one of the Hogan's to win from a looks perspective but I just don't hit them as well. But I am going to pay for a full fitting somewhere so maybe a surprise will come out.

That is a great write up, and beautiful irons. I am ashamed to admit that I have never even held a Srixon golf club let alone hit one. Those are pretty delightful though.

I went combo in my 565/765 set and it was a great fit for me. I could hit the 4-6i 565 with confidence, and score well with the 765's. If I did a combo set again, I would consider going more forgiving up to the 7i though. That would be my only change.

Agree. My next set could easily be the 4-7 iron in the ZX5 and the 8-GW in the ZX7. I'll see how long I can hold off on getting these, lol.

Agree. My next set could easily be the 4-7 iron in the ZX5 and the 8-GW in the ZX7. I'll see how long I can hold off on getting these, lol.
If I was building a set, it’d be 3,4 in the ZXU and 5-P ZX7 👀

I had the 565/765 set knocked off by another set this summer. It was by a narrow margin, so I'd love to give these new Srixons a go to see if they can retake a place in my bag. The ZX5 and ZX7 are really tempting me right now ...

Is it bad I have been on Srixon website since this article was written? I have looked at different set make ups. I would probably go 3U, then 5-GW ZX5. Maybe a split set 5-7 ZX5 and 8-GW ZX7 but I don't know if I have the game for that makeup. But I will definitely be giving them a try. Like I said I love the ZU85 3 utility I have. The ball jumps off the face.

I'm sure the tech makes for the proper gapping but the 4U being 23* and the ZX5 5i being 24* seems strange.

Same for the gapping at the 8 or 9 which is where I assume that you would transition with a combo set.

1605642166278.png

Back