Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

Bumping this due to a CPO sale. You can get a “like new” Mavrik/Max/SZ driver for $233. That’s INSANE.

Bruh!
giphy.gif

I felt like I was cheating on the Sub Zero today, and historically, it hasn't responded well to a little side head action. Especially when I try to bring both of them with me afterwards. Gonna stick with the new new for now.

Bumping this due to a CPO sale. You can get a “like new” Mavrik/Max/SZ driver for $233. That’s INSANE.
Wow! 😮 It's a shame I'm not prepared to pull the trigger on a new driver just yet :(

Whoops. Disregard: Sale must be over.

Last edited:
Wow! It's a shame I'm not prepared to pull the trigger on a new driver just yet :(

Whoops. Disregard: Sale must be over.

It’ll be back that was the Black Friday preview.

I’m seriously pondering the Mav SZ ...... that would be a beast for me I’m thinking

Ok, so, beginning golfer with a relatively slow swing speed: Which would more likely be the better fit: Mavrik or Mavrik Max?

I know, I know: Get fitted. But that's another $120.

Right now swinging an X2 Hot, 10.5° with an R-flex shaft. Works well for me when I do my part, but I find the possibility of additional forgiveness attractive and prices like that are hard to pass up.

Was thinking of looking at a b21 come spring, but, given @Snickerdog's experiences and some other comments I've read here re: Mavrik vs. B21, maybe the Mav would be a better fit for me? The CPO pricing on sale is certainly more attractive.

Last edited:
Ok, so, beginning golfer with a relatively slow swing speed: Which would more likely be the better fit: Mavrik or Mavrik Max?

Right now swinging an X2 Hot, 10.5° with an R-flex shaft. Works well for me when I do my part, but I find the possibility of additional forgives attractive and prices like that are hard to pass up.

Was thinking of looking at a b21 come spring, but, given @Snickerdog's experiences and some other comments I've read here re: Mavrik vs. B21, maybe the Mav would be a better fit for me? The CPO pricing on sale is certainly more attractive.
I would like to know this as well.

Right now swinging an X2 Hot, 10.5° with an R-flex shaft. Works well for me when I do my part, but I find the possibility of additional forgives attractive and prices like that are hard to pass up.

If I was a betting man, I would say Max, but it literally could be completely different depending on the person and their miss.

With that said, I switched from Max to B21 and could not be happier. My miss was high and right due to being a bit steep and over the top. Both of those are handled by the B21 extremely well.

It really depends on where your swing is right now. I know you mentioned getting fit isn't an option, but if you have a big box store (Golf Galaxy or PGA SS) you can hit these in the bay without committing to a full fitting. That should give you an idea of where your spin and launch is with each driver which might be all you need to know at this point.

Not knowing what your spin profile keep in mind the SZ will spin the lowest of the three. The regular Mavrik is an all around performer, but some (myself) just couldn't find center with that driver head. The Max offers max forgiveness with draw bias built in. All three heads offer great forgiveness and retain good ball speeds when struck away from center.

I went Mav Max for two reasons.
1. I wanted max (no pun intended) forgiveness. The ball speed I am seeing away from center is really good, and on center struck tee shots distance is on par with anything on the market. I am playing the 9* head to tame some of the spin and I am still launching it plenty high for my needs.
2. The draw bias/tech works. I was a pretty big fader of the golf ball off the tee and I have to work really hard to fade the Mav Max. It can be done as no driver will cure a bad swing, but swinging within myself it's a straight ball flight or a slight draw every time. You can place the heavy weight close to the heel and create even more draw bias if needed.

hope this helps.

Did a bit of weight adjustment on my Max tonight. Heel weight changed from 14 to 16 and the back weight from 2 to 6.
Now just need to get out and do some testing, but might be the weekend before that is possible.
I need to find a weight kit. I am playing the heavy weight back and it has created some great distances. I think I want to get a weight kit and tinker with a heaver weight in the back and see what results give us.

I need to find a weight kit. I am playing the heavy weight back and it has created some great distances. I think I want to get a weight kit and tinker with a heaver weight in the back and see what results give us.
@DNice26 got mine for me, he can probably let you know the best place to get one.

@DNice26 got mine for me, he can probably let you know the best place to get one.
Can't speak for him. But, I believe it was one of the kits from eBay. Lots of different options there some ship from China though. So if you're in a hurry to get one, make sure you keep an eye on that.

I found this kit that looks like it ships from Kentucky.

If I was a betting man, I would say Max, ...
That would've been my guess :)

... but it literally could be completely different depending on the person and their miss.
Understood.

Thing is: Being as I'm still refining my swing, my miss isn't consistent. Probably should have mentioned that in my prior post.

With that said, I switched from Max to B21 and could not be happier. My miss was high and right due to being a bit steep and over the top. Both of those are handled by the B21 extremely well.
*nod* I may just change my mind again, wait until spring, get fitted, and pay full boat for whatever they come up with. This question was more "If I chose to roll the dice on this deal: Which way should I roll 'em?"

It really depends on where your swing is right now. I know you mentioned getting fit isn't an option, but if you have a big box store (Golf Galaxy or PGA SS) you can hit these in the bay without committing to a full fitting. That should give you an idea of where your spin and launch is with each driver which might be all you need to know at this point.
Thanks for the suggestion, but the problem with that is my policy of "If I spend a local store's time and resources to check out a product, I'm buying the product at that or another local store." I will not use a local brick-and-mortar store to check out a product, then buy it on-line.

Not knowing what your spin profile keep in mind the SZ will spin the lowest of the three. The regular Mavrik is an all around performer, but some (myself) just couldn't find center with that driver head. The Max offers max forgiveness with draw bias built in. All three heads offer great forgiveness and retain good ball speeds when struck away from center.
That is useful to know. Thanks.

FWIW: A friend has a 9° GBB Epic SZ. Neither one of us can hit with that driver to save our souls.

I went Mav Max for two reasons.
1. I wanted max (no pun intended) forgiveness. The ball speed I am seeing away from center is really good, and on center struck tee shots distance is on par with anything on the market.
Looking at the face of my X2 Hot after it's been cleaned and for the first few hits: A club that's most forgiving for off-center hits would be wise for me at this time :ROFLMAO:

I am playing the 9* head to tame some of the spin and I am still launching it plenty high for my needs.
I'll certainly be going 10.5°. I need all the help I can get at this point.

2. The draw bias/tech works.
Good. I have my X2 Hot set for draw bias. (Probably should have mentioned that, too.) I was still often fading badly, or downright slicing, until I switched to single-plane swing. That seems to have mostly fixed that problem. Now, when I don't totally bungle a hit, they're going pretty straight, sometimes even with some draw, and the mega-fades seem to be a thing of the past.

hope this helps.
It does. Thanks! And thanks to @JB, too!

That would've been my guess :)

Understood.

Thing is: Being as I'm still refining my swing, my miss isn't consistent. Probably should have mentioned that in my prior post.

*nod* I may just change my mind again, wait until spring, get fitted, and pay full boat for whatever they come up with. This question was more "If I chose to roll the dice on this deal: Which way should I roll 'em?"

Thanks for the suggestion, but the problem with that is my policy of "If I spend a local store's time and resources to check out a product, I'm buying the product at that or another local store." I will not use a local brick-and-mortar store to check out a product, then buy it on-line.

That is useful to know. Thanks.

FWIW: A friend has a 9° GBB Epic SZ. Neither one of us can hit with that driver to save our souls.

Looking at the face of my X2 Hot after it's been cleaned and for the first few hits: A club that's most forgiving for off-center hits would be wise for me at this time :ROFLMAO:

I'll certainly be going 10.5°. I need all the help I can get at this point.

Good. I have my X2 Hot set for draw bias. (Probably should have mentioned that, too.) I was still often fading badly, or downright slicing, until I switched to single-plane swing. That seems to have mostly fixed that problem. Now, when I don't totally bungle a hit, they're going pretty straight, sometimes even with some draw, and the mega-fades seem to be a thing of the past.

It does. Thanks! And thanks to @JB, too!
X2 Hot has progressive draw bias, meaning the 12* was most upright, 10.5* was in the middle, and 9* was flattest. They're all pretty much draw biased, but the 9* head would be most similar to the standard Mavrik, in my opinion. The Max is likely the most similar as far as head shape and launch characteristics to the X2, with the added benefit of changeable weights for even more draw bias.

I don't think the Max was ever expected to be longer then the Mavrik, but I think it is expected to have better dispersion.

I don't think the Max was ever expected to be longer then the Mavrik, but I think it is expected to have better dispersion.

Out of curiosity, why?

Out of curiosity, why?
I think the max was built to keep people in play more often and to limit the dispersion. I have hit it and that seems to be the case for me as I was very impressed with how consistent it was. I don't have a great swing, I am a 14 handicap golfer, and found the max to be a great Club. Although, I do think others in the Maverick line might get you a little more distance, sort of what is alluded to in the YouTube video I attached. Personally, I think people worry too much about distance when compared to dispersion. I don't look for these new drivers to be able to hit at 5 yards longer then my present day driver, I look for something that will keep me in play more often. To me, 5 yards of distance is way overrated.

I think the max was built to keep people in play more often and to limit the dispersion. I have hit it and that seems to be the case for me as I was very impressed with how consistent it was. I don't have a great swing, I am a 14 handicap golfer, and found the max to be a great Club. Although, I do think others in the Maverick line might get you a little more distance, sort of what is alluded to in the YouTube video I attached. Personally, I think people worry too much about distance when compared to dispersion. I don't look for these new drivers to be able to hit at 5 yards longer then my present day driver, I look for something that will keep me in play more often. To me, 5 yards of distance is way overrated.

I think it depends how you achieve the distance. If the Max straightens out your slice by 20 more yards than the Mavrik, the ball will go much further down the fairway. Some people need more launch, less launch, more spin, less spin. That's why there's so many options. I actually had better dispersion with the Sub Zero, out of the three. I just couldn't get the spin high enough to make it playable. I ended up going with the Max because it maintained the best ball speeds on my toe miss, over the standard.

I think it depends how you achieve the distance. If the Max straightens out your slice by 20 more yards than the Mavrik, the ball will go much further down the fairway. Some people need more launch, less launch, more spin, less spin. That's why there's so many options. I actually had better dispersion with the Sub Zero, out of the three. I just couldn't get the spin high enough to make it playable. I ended up going with the Max because it maintained the best ball speeds on my toe miss, over the standard.
This is a great way to put it.

The beauty of having 3 different heads, there's an option for most everyone. We have the ability to test all 3 and pick the one that best fits us. For some, it's the Max, for others the SZ. The Max isn't inherently shorter than the others. Just the most forgiving. They all have been as closed to maxed out on the CT test as possible. They just all have different playing characteristics. The standard probably being a little bit different in the fact that it has the aerodynamics to give a little more speed through the swing.

Out of curiosity, why?
Yes, good points. I demoed some new drivers the other day and it was very impressive what they are capable of doing. I have a 5 year old driver right now and the technology is such that I will be changing this coming spring time. Just not real sure which driver that will be? I am seriously thinking of the New Ping G 425 Max, but we'll have to demo it among others.

It was designed with forgiveness in mind, but I am not sure how that negates distance. Both use a version Flash Face so impact is similar. Fit will certainly play a role and golfers individually off the rack will hit one further than the other, but I am unsure and trying to understand how Max would be shorter at design.

This is a great way to put it.

The beauty of having 3 different heads, there's an option for most everyone. We have the ability to test all 3 and pick the one that best fits us. For some, it's the Max, for others the SZ. The Max isn't inherently shorter than the others. Just the most forgiving. They all have been as closed to maxed out on the CT test as possible. They just all have different playing characteristics. The standard probably being a little bit different in the fact that it has the aerodynamics to give a little more speed through the swing.
You could argue that any are the most forgiving, depending what you're trying to accomplish. Most people only think of forgiveness on mishits. If you spin your driver 3500 rpm, the Sub Zero may fix your miss way better than the other two. Standard might be hook city and the flatter more open SZ might straighten you out. Or you could need the complete opposite.

You could argue that any are the most forgiving, depending what you're trying to accomplish. Most people only think of forgiveness on mishits. If you spin your driver 3500 rpm, the Sub Zero may fix your miss way better than the other two. Standard might be hook city and the flatter more open SZ might straighten you out. Or you could need the complete opposite.
They are the highest MOI of the group. So, when I refer to forgiveness, that is what I mean. Should be more efficient on mishits than the others. I say should because of course, everyone else is different.

It was designed with forgiveness in mind, but I am not sure how that negates distance. Both use a version Flash Face so impact is similar. Fit will certainly play a role and golfers individually off the rack will hit one further than the other, but I am unsure and trying to understand how Max would be shorter at design.

Maybe just the shape? Not really sure how much that would affect distance, but perhaps an extra mph or two in CS? I owned both, played both, used the same shaft in both, and hit some of my longest drives with both. Phenomenal driver line.

Maybe just the shape? Not really sure how much that would affect distance, but perhaps an extra mph or two in CS? I owned both, played both, used the same shaft in both, and hit some of my longest drives with both. Phenomenal driver line.

When we tested all 3 in the Tech Studio with the same shaft, distance was based on who was hitting it. My longest was different than others, etc. Due to fit. With that said, I agree that they are incredibly long.

Back