TaylorMade Releases P7MB, P7MC and P770 Irons

Best I can do quick in the middle of the night on a Friday for people who are curious. I poor-man spliced them and doubled them up to repeat. For as many as I post video editing isn't my thing and I only share this stuff here. I think you guys will get it.

Red line is the 770, other the MC. MC swing will look a little (more) weird from that angle because the ball was above my feet and I was playing a more unique shot. Both are flushed though. Someone will have to tell me if that's a bad sound example. It was just the first of each I had in scrolling and I'm on my work phone.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call the 770's a distance iron at all. The 921 Forged might flirt with that moniker imo with its ball speeds, but not the 770's. I think they're just slightly longer than some similarly lofted peers, but it's real minimal from my experience. They are supposed to be more forgiving than others in that size range, and I'd agree with that from my time with them.

I really like the 770 long irons. They do what they're designed to do, and the stats bear out that they're a good fit for me. My scoring iron swing can leak into the longs and the 770's get up so easy for something their size. That translates to a little more carry length for me. The short irons are, well, they're a forgiving short iron. Which, I don't really have as much use for these days. That's why I like the MC's better. I feel more confident and comfortable with that profile doing what I want, so I usually swing them faster. I prefer a thinner sole and more compact shape, and they're only about a degree different, so I think the SS overcomes that. I like being able to keep them down, and they just sound and feel better like you'd expect a players CB to. Crisper. The 770's are a little unique I think. They sound soft-ish muted with a prolonged .. something (something duller) a dull crack?, and the MC's sound quick and crisp while feeling soft. I wonder if I have a couple sound clips from today actually.

So what better numbers were you getting with them over the 770's? Not many of us have had any of these in play yet, so I'm really curious. Army called the 770 faces squishy, and I can definitely tell they're hollow in that way.

Keep in mind, this is indoors on a GC2, but I found the MCs to be approx 5 yards longer in the carry on average. I only hit 6,7,8. I also felt that the off the toe strikes didn't bend as much as I would have expected them to, and still held a fair amount of length. The 770s, I think are forgiving, but not enough for me to consider them a more forgiving iron that anything else I've hit recently.

I think, overall, I was blinded by the style of the 770s, and after playing them, they have left a bitter taste in my mouth. I just don't think they're very good. I base all of my opinions on look, sound, and feel in a way that it affects me. I'm not really a numbers guy. I'm too passionate about what I like to go strictly off of data.

Keep in mind, this is indoors on a GC2, but I found the MCs to be approx 5 yards longer in the carry on average. I only hit 6,7,8. I also felt that the off the toe strikes didn't bend as much as I would have expected them to, and still held a fair amount of length. The 770s, I think are forgiving, but not enough for me to consider them a more forgiving iron that anything else I've hit recently.

I think, overall, I was blinded by the style of the 770s, and after playing them, they have left a bitter taste in my mouth. I just don't think they're very good. I base all of my opinions on look, sound, and feel in a way that it affects me. I'm not really a numbers guy. I'm too passionate about what I like to go strictly off of data.
I could see being longer as you get towards the shorter clubs. The construction differences shine through.

I think for me I have to work hard to separate feel vs. result in terms of forgiveness. Like, to me, the 770's feel less forgiving on bad strikes. Low and toe are pretty unpleasant to me, but the distance loss seems really quite low considering. With their faces though there seems to be a pretty dramatic departure in feel for mishits. Like it's either flushed, or a bit jarring, regardless of where. And the MC's feel better to me, but seem more punishing on actual result. They're a construction I like more though, so how much of the feel is general preference, and feedback? It's tough. I have to remind myself sometimes what they are, hollow/cavity/etc, and what I should reasonably expect.

They're really different from each other, which goes back to my whole hate on the idea of combo'ing them. If a guy really likes one, I get the sense he won't like the other as easily. Know what I mean? And I'm with you on the looks being the big seller on the 770's. It makes a guy want to try to like them.

I could see being longer as you get towards the shorter clubs. The construction differences shine through.

I think for me I have to work hard to separate feel vs. result in terms of forgiveness. Like, to me, the 770's feel less forgiving on bad strikes. Low and toe are pretty unpleasant to me, but the distance loss seems really quite low considering. With their faces though there seems to be a pretty dramatic departure in feel for mishits. Like it's either flushed, or a bit jarring, regardless of where. And the MC's feel better to me, but seem more punishing on actual result. They're a construction I like more though, so how much of the feel is general preference, and feedback? It's tough. I have to remind myself sometimes what they are, hollow/cavity/etc, and what I should reasonably expect.

They're really different from each other, which goes back to my whole hate on the idea of combo'ing them. If a guy really likes one, I get the sense he won't like the other as easily. Know what I mean? And I'm with you on the looks being the big seller on the 770's. It makes a guy want to try to like them.
Exactly.

I think I'm sticking with the 921 tours, they have the feel of the MCs, and players cavity backs without the funky looks. I do, however, really like the performance of the 3 iron in the 770 and have kept it in the bag. It's the first 3 iron I don't hesitate to put into play.

Hit the 770s on the range today and with an adjustment somehow started making contact with them about where they should be hit (vs 1-3" behind the ball) and loved what I saw. The 5I was a concern for me, but I hit it a few times and aside from one real terrible mishit saw distance similar to what I would expect from my p790s.

And the sounds is so much better than the 790s. Will get my first round in tomorrow, fingers crossed that they are as good on the course as they were on the range today.

Ita comical. I can't hit the 770 with any precision, but every buddy I hand one to to try - freaking 150 ft high pin seeking moonbeams.

They just ain't for me.

Got a first round in them today, but conditions were way different than any round I have played in a quite a while. steady 20+ mph winds gusting up over 30mph in a different direction than normal and 20 or so degrees cooler..... so wearing some layers and the temp doesn't give me a great read on distance compared to the 790s.

One thing I can definitely say is the sound/feel is so much better to me than the 790s. Overall I had solid results with them, need to sort out distances but if things continue like this I will be selling the 790s fairly soon.

I might have to walk back some of my earlier comments about the P7MC's. I mean, I think I mostly said the lines are ugly, don't look like a match for the other two in the series, etc etc. And that they're pretty demanding like most of my other similar clubs, and didn't sound or feel noticeably better indoors than any of them. So not too much to retract. I still don't like the look, but after a couple rounds,

I'm REALLY starting to like the way they play. I hung back off the tee today on the short apartment course so I wouldn't have specialty wedges in, and on 13 P7MC approach shots ranging from 125-190 my average proximity was 11.5'. Eleven, point five. Biggest misses were 23' (bunker), 18' twice (fringe, and long green), and I had 5 at 7' or less (clipped the pin twice, 9i,7i). Other than the one that went 18' long (easy swinging 7i 183) that surprised me, without knowing I would have guessed they were my dialed in 747V's .... with better feel? It's a fair comparison because they're nearly identical in size, but there's something about the weight placement, sole shape as it leads into the toe, or something, that really lets the 7MC's shine out on course and with the shots I like to play. I really felt like I could do anything I wanted with them, and that ... is just pretty hard for me to ignore, because I'm nitpicky as ****, and even with still nonmatching shafts I had zero complaints. Turf interaction has been lovely, despite a leading edge and lack of pre-wear I'm not usually a fan of, I caught one a groove or two low that performed really well, and flighting and working them was downright dreamy.

A good striking day and playing a preferred profile can definitely color perception, but I am reluctantly impressed. And annoyed. It would make sense that I'd potentially fall in love with something I hate the look of on the back, because the badging on the Apex Pro 19 sucks and they're the best thing ever. fml

Last edited:
I just need to talk up the P770 long irons a little bit. We had a club member we'd never met play with us for a few holes today and he was kind of blown away by this shot with a P770 5i. I've said other times on here that I try to stick close to my distances. Give me a weaker loft, different design, I'll swing harder. Give me a stronger loft or livelier face and I'll let off a little to use that to gain accuracy.

The P770 long irons have been beyond good for me in that regard. Just that little bit of extra ball speed and ease of launch that I can swing real easy and still hit my number, and without sacrificing spin.

So there was a little breeze in from the right. The other guy playing from those tees came up a little short and left himself a long putt. Safe play.

20201112_223402.jpg

They can fly, but I wanted to keep it down a little because I didn't want it in the breeze. I'm honestly sick of coming up short in the wind on that hole. It plays annoyingly long. Anyway, got the flight I wanted and landed it pin high. He couldn't believe it held like that. That green is no marshmallow to land on and the roll is very fast. I just think it's a perfect example of what those clubs can do. WITH a little forgiveness too. Honestly, that swing was a little :confused: and the strike turned out pretty good.

So I've been playing the 3-5 irons long enough now to really start to get some data separation and seeing them on their own a little is eye opening. There are plenty of rounds where I don't even use a long iron, but they've always been a fair strength of mine. I love a good 4 iron.

Screenshot_20201112-223056_TheGrint.jpg

I assure you though, these kinds of numbers are NOT normal for me. There is definitely something going on with these. I just can't do some of the things I can with them, with most others. And seeing it like this backs up my internal reluctance to pull them from the bag despite other good options.

I just don't want anyone to not give them a try because of a 790 comparison, or a bad description by one person, or some other notion. Results and preferences on feel and looks will obviously vary, and I'm one person. I could fall out of fit with them or have results come back to earth anytime, but they have stood out to me from minute one on this. I just think they're worth some other people looking into. Especially if you could use a little more launch or spin in the mid to long irons, don't like a lot of chunk at that end of the bag, etc. That's all. I'll shut up about them now.

Have 2 rounds in now after the re-shaft to the OBAN CT’s. What a difference. These irons really came alive. The fly amazingly well. A strong piercing flight off the launch and land nice and soft. They performed amazingly well through the wind during my last round. Here is a 7i with wind at my back. Pin was 213 hit them he 7i 206. Pretty happy with this iron set. Having the confidence to go at pins and knowing my dispersion will be better really changes my iron play game.

View attachment trim.58561BAE-C05C-4F3B-A8FE-DCD4D43BC7AE.MOV

Have 2 rounds in now after the re-shaft to the OBAN CT’s. What a difference. These irons really came alive. The fly amazingly well. A strong piercing flight off the launch and land nice and soft. They performed amazingly well through the wind during my last round. Here is a 7i with wind at my back. Pin was 213 hit them he 7i 206. Pretty happy with this iron set. Having the confidence to go at pins and knowing my dispersion will be better really changes my iron play game.

View attachment 8974058

I can't tell out here in bad light on a phone, 770's?

Ready to break these things in this weekend, if weather permits. Went with the CB for the 4 and 5 irons and MB 6-PW. These are just too sexy

Capture.PNGds.PNG

Last edited:
I have 5 rounds in with the P770s, and they are officially sidelined. Can't make them spin to save my life, and I'm not seeing any gains in any field. Great looking clubs, but these are not for me.
You’ve gone through a goodly number of sets that haven’t worked.

I like the 770s so much I figured what the heck and traded in a couple things for 22* SIM DHY. hoping it sounds a bit better than the GAPR hi I have been testing out but covers a similar yardage.

i saw the p770 for the first time yesterday. compared to the other irons i was hitting, it just wasn't doing it for me. they look pretty good in hand. behind the ball i thought they looked pretty much identical to what i recall p790 looking like. maybe if i had the two next to each other i'd think the 770 are smaller, but they didn't seem very small to me yesterday. immediately when i picked them up, i knew the setup wouldn't work for me. they were super heavy, and i couldn't swing them very well. i guess i would give them a chance with a setup better suited for me, but i took two swings and handed them back.

Last edited:
i saw the p770 for the first time yesterday. compared to the other irons i was hitting, it just wasn't. they look pretty good in hand. behind the ball i thought they looked pretty much identical to what i recall p790 looking like. maybe if i had the two next to each other i'd think the 770 are smaller, but they didn't seem very small to me yesterday. immediately when i picked them up, i knew the setup wouldn't work for me. they were super heavy, and i couldn't swing them very well. i guess i would give them a chance with a setup better suited for me, but i took two swings and handed them back.

To me they really are not much smaller at all than the 790 (which I had prior). Sound/feel wise though they are 100% improved but that is the most subjective thing in golf. I should grab some photos of the 790/770 side by side before I sell off the 790s.

You’ve gone through a goodly number of sets that haven’t worked.
I'm special. After todays round, I am seriously considering the most Super GI clubs I can find. NOTHING worked. But ultimately the 921 Tours are still my favorites so far. I just don't know if they really beat the Cobras. I'm going to to but my old King Forged Tours in the bag this weekend and see how it goes.

I'm special. After todays round, I am seriously considering the most Super GI clubs I can find. NOTHING worked. But ultimately the 921 Tours are still my favorites so far. I just don't know if they really beat the Cobras. I'm going to to but my old King Forged Tours in the bag this weekend and see how it goes.
Why switch if you love the Cobras so much? I mean, I know I do it because I have an addiction. 😂

Why switch if you love the Cobras so much? I mean, I know I do it because I have an addiction. 😂
I used to play new irons about twice a year. Then the Cobras came into play. That was 3.5 years ago. I tried others, but nothing worth keeping. I think I'm at the point where I am struggling with the idea of keeping a set for that long.

Plus I have rebuilt my entire bag this year. It makes sense to me to go new.

The irons I don't want to love (P7MC) put on a show today. 1 missed green trying to muscle a 7i, but they played well off the tee, fairway, and rough, felt good, flew how I wanted, and put me in good spots all freaking day. They're a real good fit, and it's so annoying. Tried to write off the first couple outings, but there's definitely something in it with these for me.

The irons I don't want to love (P7MC) put on a show today. 1 missed green trying to muscle a 7i, but they played well off the tee, fairway, and rough, felt good, flew how I wanted, and put me in good spots all freaking day. They're a real good fit, and it's so annoying. Tried to write off the first couple outings, but there's definitely something in it with these for me.
Glad you are liking them. I guess...

Glad you are liking them. I guess...
I do like them. I love playing them. I just railed against the design not fitting with the 770 and MB, them being hard to hit, and not having anything to really separate them from other CB's I have when they came out, .... and a guy only wants to eat so much crow!

It sticks in my teeth. :p

I'm watching some more P7MC reviews on youtube now that I've played them some, and I'm not sure I've ever seen an iron get a wider range of results and responses across the usual group. Some guys are spinning the daylight out of them, some aren't much at all, some are getting their blade length out of them, others see plenty of pop, and everything in between. They're just all over the map. It's really odd. Bad fits amplified maybe? Curious to see over time how others feel about them. Doesn't seem like there's many of them being sold around here.

Back