CONTEST 2020 Thanksgiving Feast Giveaway

I'm deep frying the turkey this year for the first time. I'm kinda nervous. :oops:

I helped my mom every year prepare Thanksgiving, and once JB and I got married I started cooking Thanksgiving and being the host. It was so much fun to create my own dishes and traditions. I still have very fond memories of Thanksgiving as a kid, but it's been special to be the one to host it the past 12 years and to carry on a tradition but make it my own.
Every year we've been married. We've went to my mom's and her grandmother's... because we didn't cook... like..ever.. didn't even have a clue how to. Fast-forward... to this year. We've started cooking and her grandmother has really gone down hill fast. So she wanted to do this for the first time ever before it's too late. 😕

Our feast is in question considering the fact I can eat saltines or a Filet and the taste is the same (thanks rona)... Hopefully it changes to a point where a feast can be had...

Every year we've been married. We've went to my mom's and her grandmother's... because we didn't cook... like..ever.. didn't even have a clue how to. Fast-forward... to this year. We've started cooking and her grandmother has really gone down hill fast. So she wanted to do this for the first time ever before it's too late. 😕

That is both really sad and really moving at the same time. I have a lot of super easy recipes if you and your wife want any, or have any questions. I am always happy to help.

I'm deep frying the turkey this year for the first time. I'm kinda nervous. :oops:
Are you using an indoor fryer or outdoor?

The key is not using a frozen bird and making sure it's dry both outside and inside (nothing dripping, no puddles inside as that will cause the oil to not like it)

I've got one of the butterball indoor fryers and it'll hold a 20 pound turkey max. It does the job with out issues on my counter top peninsula in my kitchen.

The outdoor ones with the propane fire... I've seen them used but have never used one myself. I'd suggest you get a second person to help lower the bird into the hot oil and use a broom stick or something between you to do it...

I rub the turkey down with olive oil and dry spice rub then slowly lower it into the oil. I use 'ove gloves for this. Welders gauntlets would work better probably but I don't have any.

Are you using an indoor fryer or outdoor?

The key is not using a frozen bird and making sure it's dry both outside and inside (nothing dripping, no puddles inside as that will cause the oil to not like it)

I've got one of the butterball indoor fryers and it'll hold a 20 pound turkey max. It does the job with out issues on my counter top peninsula in my kitchen.

The outdoor ones with the propane fire... I've seen them used but have never used one myself. I'd suggest you get a second person to help lower the bird into the hot oil and use a broom stick or something between you to do it...

I rub the turkey down with olive oil and dry spice rub then slowly lower it into the oil. I use 'ove gloves for this. Welders gauntlets would work better probably but I don't have any.
Thanks for the the advice. It will definitely be used.

I'm afraid to do it inside, so outdoor fryer. We are getting a 20 pound bird since we only have 6 of us.

My Wife is making one in the Oven also just in case my experiment doesn't work out :p. If all goes well we will take the Oven to a homeless shelter or something.

Deep fried turkey is so good.

@Scorpion12 suggestions are perfect, you certainly want any liquids off the bird.

Don't fill the pot too much with oil and most importantly, make sure you turn the flame off before you lower the bird in the oil just in case you do get some bubble over. (y)🔥

I am doing a brined and roasted bird again this year. Have done the same recipe the last 3 or 4 years and it is just so good I am not changing anything. We are paring down the sides a bit so we dont over do it and have too much left overs though.

Deep fried turkey is so good.

@Scorpion12 suggestions are perfect, you certainly want any liquids off the bird.

Don't fill the pot too much with oil and most importantly, make sure you turn the flame off before you lower the bird in the oil just in case you do get some bubble over. (y)🔥
I hope your turkey turns out well!

I'm doing 3 this year for the family gathering. I'm skeptical that it's all going to be eaten... I fear Covid will keep a lot of the family away. I almost don't want to go this year. not mainly because of Covid... more like I'll be expected to help set up, tear down, and clean up.:cautious:

That is both really sad and really moving at the same time. I have a lot of super easy recipes if you and your wife want any, or have any questions. I am always happy to help.
Thank you! That's incredibly generous of you. We're doing some relatively easy sides and dessert. Nothing too difficult for a couple beginners!

I hope brisket, baby back ribs, potato salad, and fried zucchini with a tasty wine qualifies.

It will be a weird Thanksgiving - probably with my younger son - Mom died during Covid, Dad went downhill with senility during Covid, and my sisters have kids in their 20's coming from out of State. I will probably go play golf!

I hope brisket, baby back ribs, potato salad, and fried zucchini with a tasty wine qualifies.

It will be a weird Thanksgiving - probably with my younger son - Mom died during Covid, Dad went downhill with senility during Covid, and my sisters have kids in their 20's coming from out of State. I will probably go play golf!

Of course it does. Any and all food welcome.

My wife works Thanksgiving Night so we will be celebrating Saturday.

Definitely doing it non-traditional with only the two of us, but excited to have a nice meal and celebrate even with all that is going on in the world.

One of my favorite yearly threads...

I get two Thanksgivings, one with my family early, then off to in-laws later in the day. Wednesday shall be a fasting day to prepare!

We had our family thanksgiving today.dinner.jpg
Top left is turkey (I deep fried it) and ham. Center right squash casserole - was pretty good. Then a roll and corn casserole. Both were tasty.
Bottom right is sweet potato casserole. Dessert with dinner. Mmm. The best part.:p Center bottom are mashed potatoes and gravy. Then string bean casserole and macaroni and cheese. Very tasty. Right above the mac and cheese is broccoli casserole.

Dessert included pumpkin pie, pecan pie, cheesecake, and apple pie. I was too full from dinner to sample those but one of the pies followed us home.:D

We had our family thanksgiving today.View attachment 8975241
Top left is turkey (I deep fried it) and ham. Center right squash casserole - was pretty good. Then a roll and corn casserole. Both were tasty.
Bottom right is sweet potato casserole. Dessert with dinner. Mmm. The best part.:p Center bottom are mashed potatoes and gravy. Then string bean casserole and macaroni and cheese. Very tasty. Right above the mac and cheese is broccoli casserole.

Dessert included pumpkin pie, pecan pie, cheesecake, and apple pie. I was too full from dinner to sample those but one of the pies followed us home.:D

I love the divided plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50A0F195-EC0A-41B6-AD09-9C3F02622090.jpegTurkey cookie courtesy of the wife and kids.

Wasn't gonna change anything up but decided to do a bit different this year since not as many people will be here.

Spatchcocked and split the bird today. Going to do dry brined and roasted on one half of the bird and smoking the other. Just four of us for T-day this year so doing a bit of experimenting (y)

Well, as some of you know, or have heard, one of my family's favorite holiday traditions is making fun of me and my OCD planning around the thanksgiving meal! Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays as it mostly involves gorging oneself on food and drink and slouching on a couch all day watching mediocre football or the Match #. But one of my chief complaints in a big feast is when it is poorly planned and you have hot dishes "ready" at all different times. This results in things getting cold well before the meal while you wait on a side or main dish.

To avoid this disaster several years ago I starting making a cooking and oven schedule in excel to coordinate the times and temperatures needed for everything to be ready at the same time for dinner. This year we'll be doing a smaller meal than normal :( but we've still got our schedule. So for your viewing pleasure and pending heckling please enjoy my 2020 schedule. And I'll be sure to post a photo of everything at the perfect serving temperature at 3 PM on Thursday ;).

1606149825923.png

Glad to know I'm not the only one with a spreadsheet. Somehow it appears that you have more helpers than I do. :ROFLMAO:

Those are assigned helpers, does not mean they will actually do their job....:mad::mad::mad:
I know the feeling...I have several standby helpers making sure that the food is on the table when they are ready to eat...then suddenly disappear when the meal is over.

There's nothing wrong with scheduling dishes. It works or you wouldn't do it more than once.

I typically let my wife do her thing in the kitchen, help where I'm told to and do what I'm told. I don't improvise there. Then she gets out of my way when it's my turn to fry the turkey.(y)

Back