The Home Renovation Thread

Finished the deck stairs (mostly) on Saturday. Built stair boxes and laid some gravel to level the ground. Just need to add some fascia to make it pretty, but now have a fully functional deck again!

That looks really great. I am also doing renovations now, at my kitchen... what would you recommend me? I'm not so into this whole designer thing but my wife thinks she is. I mean, I'll let her do what she wants with the kitchen as she is the one who spends more time there :D Anyway, what do you think of the farmhouse sinks? My wife is assuring me of the authenticity of these sinks. Well, after reading these reviews https://www.thewindupspace.com/best-farmhouse-sink-reviews/ I began thinking she was right. Maybe it would look good in our kitchen...

Last edited:
Installing some hurricane ties on the trusses and then started the sheathing process. It’s gonna be tedious, but hoping to be done by mid week next week so I can install windows and doors, then shingle the roof. After that, bringing electricians in and then spray foam insulators while waiting on the vinyl shake siding to come in.

Want to get the outside done, at least everything but siding, before the weather turns hard. Hopefully we can get the mini split in too so I’m not freezing while sheet rocking and finishing the inside :ROFLMAO:

So after changing the floors throughout, ripping out and replacing the upstairs en-suite and downstairs bathrooms, replastering all the ceilings and repainting the exterior of the house, the kitty was almost dry. That means we had to take the budget route with the kitchen and make do with repainting the cupboards for now. I think it came out pretty well.
70758921-86B0-46E6-B756-139D11827E4A.jpeg
F07C403C-E713-46A6-A9BF-E906EB927B35.jpeg

So after changing the floors throughout, ripping out and replacing the upstairs en-suite and downstairs bathrooms, replastering all the ceilings and repainting the exterior of the house, the kitty was almost dry. That means we had to take the budget route with the kitchen and make do with repainting the cupboards for now. I think it came out pretty well.
View attachment 8974856
View attachment 8974857
Looks great! New paint and hardware makes a world of difference!

View attachment 8974856
View attachment 8974857

Thats what we did. We had quotes of like 2500 for someone to paint them, we did it ourselves over a couple weekends for maaayybe $200

Of course then that ended up costing me 4k for new counters after she swore the old ones would still be ok, but whatever.

I think we want to sand and stain the hardwoods to something like what you have.. thankfully we know a guy but that'll be another year or two away

Of course then that ended up costing me 4k for new counters after she swore the old ones would still be ok, but whatever.

New counter tops will be our next job. Absolutely hate those tiles.

Will get some updated pics but we now have all of the lights fitted in the kitchen, flooring went down in the kitchen and but the dining room carpet has been delayed so hopefully that will be done tomorrow

New skirting boards are still to be fitted and the walls need another coat of paint but once that is done and the carpet is fitted we will finally be done

Skirting boards are going on as we speak, no word yet from my friend about the carpet so I am guessing that hasn't arrived yet, but this is currently how the kitchen looks

Excuse the rubbish on the worktop and the dining table chairs, they had just been delivered and we needed to put some of them there

20201120_182549.jpg

20201120_182616.jpg

20201120_182628.jpg

We have left the protective covering on the units and worktop until the painting is done, but we are pleased with how it is coming together

Looking good!!

Spent all weekend redoing the floors in my house. So happy to cover up the old hardwood...I really would have liked to refinish them but it was just too expensive compared to the new vinyl planks and I didn’t want to have to move out. I love how it turned out.
430BC253-4E37-4CD3-90E9-B08BA12BBE3B.jpeg

old kitchen floor
56420C44-EAD7-4ACF-9709-1471AF3ECF6C.jpeg
1BBFC7C0-A6E2-420C-90CD-551514B7308A.jpeg

We had a water leak problem a couple of moths ago, and it started a lot more work on the house than I expected to be doing this year. The hose is on a hill, so the living quarters are upstairs, with the living room, dining room, and kitchen over the garage and a storage/mudroom. The water leak was behind the dishwasher, just a pin hole, so it didn't show up until it started dripping through a light fixture in the mud room. The results were the ceiling and wall of the mudroom were saturated sheet rock, and the vinyl floor was ruined. Upstairs in the kitchen the cabinet next to the dishwasher was damaged, and the laminate floor would have to be replaced.

So the insurance company sends the guys out to dry the place out, big fans and stuff running 24 hrs a day for five days. That gets done and we have to replace the flooring in the whole upstairs except the bathrooms and bedrooms. Might as well paint before the new floor goes in though, so we do that too. The contractor finally gets all the damage downstairs fixed, the kitchen cabinet and the floors in, and life inside gets somewhat back to normal.

We knew we were due to replace the roof this year, I did it myself last time, and that was over 25 years ago, so as long as we're at it, we found a contractor to do the roof, which has been completed. The exterior is due for paint, well we might as well add that to the list and get it done while we're doing everything else. The painters are here today, so this whole thing should be complete this week.

I'll try to put up some photos when everything is done

That's a lot of work @OldeDude sorry to hear about the leak.

@jdtox the floor looks good. Must be a bit of a change going from one color to another?

That's a lot of work @OldeDude sorry to hear about the leak.

@jdtox the floor looks good. Must be a bit of a change going from one color to another?
It is a big change but it looks sooo much better. The old floor was wore out and needed some serious TLC, the gray looks so modern to me now instead of old haha

It is a big change but it looks sooo much better. The old floor was wore out and needed some serious TLC, the gray looks so modern to me now instead of old haha
Nice. It does look modern(y)(y)

The wife wants to switch to that color but with dark planks throughout the kitchen, hallway, and front room....it gets pricey!

A bit of progress on the basement this weekend. Got portions of the stair skirts put on but can't finish the rest until the floor is cut above the stairs (Yes, those stairs currently go into the floor above), Figured out where the lighting will be going in the "theater" area of the basement, and got the entertainment console put in. Also got the railing laid out once the hole is cut in the floor above.
1606230566920.png
1606230610509.png

Carpet is fitted, new dining table and chairs are in the dining area now so we are almost done, just some painting to finish

20201125_174129.jpg

20201125_174214.jpg

20201125_174228.jpg

It has been a bit stressful at times with things not working out the way we hoped, but we are happy with how it all looks, and hopefully we can have the family over for a few days over the Christmas period and chill out

Deck is 99% done! Going to touch up cut fascia edges with dark stain, but I’m thrilled with the finished product for a DIY project.
E9969617-1DF5-4F6D-B7AC-555045B4DFD8.jpeg

Since we won't be doing the large bathroom reno anytime soon, the wife has agreed to a refresh.

I will have 16 days off over Christmas, so paint, new trim, new lighting and new mirror/cabinet. The funny thing is, I would have no problem doing it all (flooring, tub, shower, vanity, in floor heat) in the 16 days, but she won't let me do it.

So I will spend my holiday break patching some drywall, and prettying up a main bathroom.

So, we've mostly moved into a house whose interior effectively hasn't been touched since the 70s/80s (hello, wood paneling!). One 'recent' upgrade (~8 yrs ago) was a new Trane communicating HVAC system. We found the thermostat was bricked during the inspection. It would not respond to any touches, and despite being set to cool at 75, the AC was cranking even when the house temp was at 65.

We called the local Trane rep. They told us it would be minimum $1,000 to assess and install a new thermostat. That's insane.

We found a used one on eBay that would preserve the communicating aspect for $140. Three wires later, we saved $860 and have a fully functioning HVAC system again.

The list is long and getting longer of things we'd like to do eventually. First up will probably be painting the horrendous Carolina blue walls in the master bedroom. I don't know how much longer I can wake up to that hideous color.

Last edited:
Moved all the furniture out of my main floor. Demo starts today. Everything must go. I get a little nervous because it is already a nice area. But I have a different vision for it. Sadly, my putting mat in the office was rolled up out of necessity to make room for ophaned furniture. I guess that is incentive to work quickly.

Back