Tour Edge Hot Launch 521 Extreme and Competition Series

This just happened today:

View attachment 8974943

My old trusty Xrail 5h has been acting up after about 5 years in the bag.
Time to see if one of these can knock it out.

Check out the shaft on the EXS 220 and tell me what you think - I did not like it in the 19 degree. I changed out to a GD AD Hy 65 - it is gooooood. Ordered the 4H to give me more bag options depending on the course - TGI in A flex to see if it works but I have another GD AD HY 65 to pull from another club and into the new one.

Check out the shaft on the EXS 220 and tell me what you think - I did not like it in the 19 degree. I changed out to a GD AD Hy 65 - it is gooooood. Ordered the 4H to give me more bag options depending on the course - TGI in A flex to see if it works but I have another GD AD HY 65 to pull from another club and into the new one.

Given I’ve done well with the Xrail with the stock GD G Series shaft at R flex at 62g I actually thought about going with the Tgi in A flex figuring the weight might make it play similarly. Being 25* hoping launch won’t be an issue with the 70g R. Also after seeing how the Fubuki 55 felt in the store I considered going stiff in that one but went R fled in them all to kind of level set.

Looking to get about 170 out of this club. My Xrail is -1” (38 5/8”) and 26* so sometimes it lacks a little gapping with my 6i especially if I spin one up.

I ordered several E521 clubs but the 6 hybrid is on back ordered

What all did you order ?

9W, 6H, and 7-aw iron woods. I have everything but the hybrid. These look much bigger than the hl4’s

9W, 6H, and 7-aw iron woods. I have everything but the hybrid. These look much bigger than the hl4’s
Very cool. Try them yet ?

Innovative company at great price point and worth trying.

I have a fairway/hybrid fitting tomorrow at 2nd Swing and while I’m mainly looking at used clubs, I want to give these a few hits since they are comfortably in my budget. I’m a high handicapper, so the E521 is probably what I would go for.

I have a fairway/hybrid fitting tomorrow at 2nd Swing and while I’m mainly looking at used clubs, I want to give these a few hits since they are comfortably in my budget. I’m a high handicapper, so the E521 is probably what I would go for.

You might enjoy this 2nd swing vid.

Been looking for a more in depth review or feedback from buyers since the initial announcement last month. No one near me seems to be stocking them in store yet but I'd love to give those C521 irons a go! Thanks for the posts from those of you that have been able to get your hands on them.

I ordered several E521 clubs but the 6 hybrid is on back ordered
My EXS220 5h came in today (ordered Thursday) but no E521 or C521 hybrids were in the box. Checked my order and it just says they are preparing the order. Hope they are not on backorder too. Did it mention that when you ordered or did you have to contact them?

How did the fitting go? Did you try the Tour Edge clubs?

Been looking for a more in depth review or feedback from buyers since the initial announcement last month. No one near me seems to be stocking them in store yet but I'd love to give those C521 irons a go! Thanks for the posts from those of you that have been able to get your hands on them.
Keep tabs on the Tour Edge site. They have a "demo" area and often sell the 6 or 7i from each of their lines. They usually run $39-69 each depending on model and you have 30 days to trial it. Send it back for a refund if you don't like it. The C521 and E521 are not on there yet as of today but stay tuned as they usually add them a few week after initial launch which was earlier this month.

My EXS220 5h came in today (ordered Thursday) but no E521 or C521 hybrids were in the box. Checked my order and it just says they are preparing the order. Hope they are not on backorder too. Did it mention that when you ordered or did you have to contact them?
I had to contact them. Still no word when it is to arrive

I had to contact them. Still no word when it is to arrive
Gotcha. I just got a Ups notice. The other two are coming Wed hopefully

How did the fitting go? Did you try the Tour Edge clubs?
It went well. They didn’t have this line, but I ultimately left with a Hot Launch 4 4-hybrid after it performed a few yards better than a similar Rogue at a considerably lower price.

Also, if you are near a 2nd Swing, I highly recommend them for fitting. My fitter was super helpful and let me try a lot of options before landing on the hybrid. I hope that they’ll have the C521 irons in by the summer when I plan to get fit for those.

Final Tour Edge box arrived today. EXS220 5h came in the other day. The E521 and C521 5 hybrids came in today.

Initial thoughts:
Looks:
I was a bit weary of the online renderings thinking these may look "cheap" but no concerns there. Nice gloss black finish and the medium blue accents it well.

C521 - I thought this would be a new design but to my eye its a repainted HL4 hybrid with the added diamond face tech.
I never got along well with the HL3/4 line of hybrids (very fade oriented for me) but we shall see.

E521 - Now this is something I have never seen before in a hybrid. It's very shallow, and at address is very stretched out and pancakey looking. Offset is visible and the 1* closed face (per spec) is evident too. This is the one I am most intrigued to hit as its something new per se to me. Reminds me of a love child between a Callaway X hot and a Moonwood with a slapped on rail.

Build Quality:
Specs say 39.25" on the EXS220 (Swing weight is not listed), E521 and C521 are 38.25" per spec. According to my measurements they are spot on: EXS220 measured out at 39 3/8" and the 521's were right at 38 3/8". Tour Edge measures without grips so the additional 1/8" for the grip cap adds up.

~~Something to note here is the length. The EXS220 is of "normal" hybrid lengths these days. To where the 521's are 1" shorter and play more like an iron length.

Swing weights (on my scale) were:
EXS220 - D3
E521 and C521 were D2
All in the normal range.

Total weight: 365g EXS220, 367g C521 and 368 E521.

Grips:
EXS220 has the Lamkin Crossline 360
E521/C521 have what feels like a softer version of the Lamkin Z5

Headcovers:
The EXS220 has the leather off white, black, red and blue cover. I know many really liked the EXS220 series covers but I was not one of them. It's on the larger side for a hybrid cover and given I have a good amount of woods and hybrids I prefer a smaller cover to de -clutter the bag. The covers on the 521 line are sock style covers similar to what I used on my Xrail hybrid. Gray/silver cover for the E521 and a Black cover for the C521.

I haven't hit the 521's yet.. Yesterday I hit the EXS220 at the range and liked it alot. It's a bomber though and might not gap well with my normal setup. It was approaching 4h distance for me.

Last edited:
Pics
BEBCB5DD-0B83-4929-B5ED-7957559E482C.jpeg501DA4C2-65D2-41A9-8770-8891F64E6DFC.jpeg23D13F92-C1AC-479E-A699-BAFDDB23A994.jpeg85EDC66A-729B-4EBA-8476-63413B543A4F.jpeg4B2ECC6E-5749-4224-AB81-C10859EF3051.jpeg7F2F60EA-319E-459A-9A02-3F9FCEFAED4B.jpeg18F97E5A-2F30-486C-8F8D-04AB845731CD.jpegA0467548-0784-4DFF-8A25-BBC53FD783B4.jpeg40BCD02F-1786-4A50-BA23-9D96E3290D07.jpeg062FA3CF-8807-42FE-8C5F-C029EB7D8E13.jpegB6B1A5EC-CAB0-4455-B0B8-3568C7E417D0.jpeg5C724A21-88D5-4BED-8F7C-DB1F82A537B5.jpeg668F6B7C-241A-46FB-B4BF-4D8B1B15E2E6.jpeg

Great stuff Erock

Anyone try the C521 irons? Kinda like that the lofts aren't that jacked on them. 28* in the 6i is pretty reasonable.

Look forward to on-course testing results!

Ask you and shall receive :)

Got out for a quick 9 yesterday. Course was pretty dead as it was in the 40's.
Unfortunately I didn't have a shot for score requiring a 5h shot. But I did bring them with me. And on 5 of the holes I stopped at my usual 5h yardage and hit all 3.

Some general comments:

EXS220 - larger head, mini fairway wood looking. Lower flying than the 521's for me and every shot drew or hooked on me. I am thinking that KBS70 shaft might be too low spin for me. It feels pretty stout for an R flex and you don't feel lit kick as much through impact as the 521 shafts.
It's a bomber though because of the draw flight would bounce and roll a lot. So my guess is on a monitor it would be the longest of the 3. Great sounding club like the driver is.
E521 - shallow face and stretched out head is obvious. The most confidence inspiring over the ball for me of the 3 clubs. The offset it there and it just screams easy to launch.

C521 - Most compact shape of the 3. Over the ball you have that sense of accuracy with the profile. Sort of reminds me of the Callaway swollen toe hybrid ook. The overall package is very slick looking with the all black top, mostly black sole, black grip and matte black Rogue shaft.

On course testing:
1st test hole - Fairway approach shot, hole runs slightly uphill.
EXS220 - Hit the left side of the green just past pin high. Mid height tight draw flight.
C521 - nice high flight but pushed it just right of the green pin high.
E521 - nice high flight but it slightly faded just right of the green just past pin high. All 3 nearly went virtually the same distance.

2nd Test hole - I purposely put the ball on a slight downslope and in a spot with hardly any grass.
EXS220 - Slight pull hook that nearly went into the greenside pond but it held up on the fringe. Butt was puckered up though, lol
C521 hit a dart right at the pin and it ended up about 6' past it.
E521 slight fade that ended up just past pin high and just off to the right.

3rd Test hole- Par 5 layup shot from the fairway
EXS220 - Hooked it into the pond.
E521 and C521 slightly pushed into the right rough just off the fairway. Both would have been fine results.

4th test hole - Par 3 over a pond.
EXS220 - Long and left of the green.
E521 and C521 - ended up hitting them into the green side trap right pin high. There was a left to right wind so I am not sure if the wind was taking them or if it was the ball just fading a little.

5th test hole - Fairway approach shot...
More of the same. EXS220 missed left and the 521's had the high ball that kept wanting to leak right.

All and all, none of them really wow'd me, but off the bat if I had to eliminate one it would be the EXS220. While I prefer a tight draw, this one I kept over cooking too far right and the flight was too low.
I think the KBS 70 shaft is not that good of a fit for me.
@Desmond mentioned he got this one in the 60 A flex and honestly that might have been a better option for me as well given this is 70g shaft and heavier than what I am normally used to playing in my hybrids (62g).

The Fubuki and Rogue shafts in the 521's seemed fine for my swing speed (I was hitting these all around 165-175).

One of the surprising things is I thought the E521 would be a hook machine for me given I usually draw the ball. Exactly opposite. It wanted to fade more than the other 2. So I don't know if the head is lagging because of the shaft of what. It has the lightest shaft of the 3 (Fubuki 55g).

Playing 18 tomorrow and won't be able to bring them all to test so the decision will be do I bring along the EXS220, C521 or E521.
I think based on yesterday's results I am leaning toward the C521.

Any questions please ask away !!

Back