Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

Is it bad I have been on Srixon website since this article was written? I have looked at different set make ups. I would probably go 3U, then 5-GW ZX5. Maybe a split set 5-7 ZX5 and 8-GW ZX7 but I don't know if I have the game for that makeup. But I will definitely be giving them a try. Like I said I love the ZU85 3 utility I have. The ball jumps off the face.
Nope. I have done the same thing.

I have not hit a utility iron and don’t think about them in combo. Maybe I should. I tend to hit my 4i better than my 3hy.

I don’t see myself as someone who a utility iron is designed for, but I had a u65 3i for a bit, and it was stupid easy to hit. I ultimately went back to a hybrid for the higher launch, but Srixon does make some really great utilities.

I'm sure the tech makes for the proper gapping but the 4U being 23* and the ZX5 5i being 24* seems strange.

Same for the gapping at the 8 or 9 which is where I assume that you would transition with a combo set.

View attachment 8974687
I think you would just adjust the loft to suit.

On one of the reviews online they bent them 2° weak which got me thinking.
Keep the PW loft, bend the 9 iron 1° weak, bend the rest of the irons 2° weak and you have modern traditional lofts throughout the set.
Quite tempted to go down that route.

Been researching the NS Pro Modus shafts too. Very different results from the various options. Anyone have any experience?

I haven't even hit these yet and I'm already going into depth building a set. I hope they do suit my game when I eventually get the chance to try them.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I have not hit a utility iron and don’t think about them in combo. Maybe I should. I tend to hit my 4i better than my 3hy.
If you hit a 4i easier/better than a 3h, then a UT would be very good for you.

I keep thinking about these clubs and wonder how they would play for me. The look is so good, and I really enjoyed hitting Srixon in the past. So much excitement for this release!

I keep thinking about these clubs and wonder how they would play for me. The look is so good, and I really enjoyed hitting Srixon in the past. So much excitement for this release!
THere has been some talk of a ZX4 which may be a more forgiving option. I am not sure if there is anything to that rumor.

I'm sure the tech makes for the proper gapping but the 4U being 23* and the ZX5 5i being 24* seems strange.

Same for the gapping at the 8 or 9 which is where I assume that you would transition with a combo set.

View attachment 8974687

Check the length of the hybrid shaft - it's probably an inch or more longer, and lighter than the 4i, meaning even without much of a loft difference with the 5i, it gaps well.

THere has been some talk of a ZX4 which may be a more forgiving option. I am not sure if there is anything to that rumor.
Hmm, interesting if true :unsure:.

I just wonder what the advantage would be. I think the 5 series is so good because it has game Improvement tech, while still looking like a players iron. It's why I was drawn to the 5 series in the long irons. I wonder if they go more game Improvement, if they would lose the look and feel so many enjoy from the 5 and 7 series irons.

Last edited:

View attachment 8974687
I play my 585 5 iron at 24* and a Z u85 4 iron at 23* and they did gap a little close for my liking at that end of the bag (about 10 yards of carry difference, I would rather see closer to 15 yards difference). This go round with the Zx irons I will test the 585 4 iron vs. ZX Utility 4 iron and see which gaps better, and or just adjust the lofts. Does anyone know if you can bend these ZX utility irons?

Hmm, interesting if true :unsure:.

I just wonder what the advantage would be. I think the 5 series is so good because it has game Improvement tech, while still looking like a players iron. It's why I was drawn to the 5 series in the long irons. I wonder if they go more game Improvement, if they would lose the look and feel so many enjoy from the 5 and 7 series irons.
I think the z585's are really forgiving, and expect the Zx5s to be the same, and according to @Jman 's review, even better. Can't hurt to try to hit them. The benefit of hitting a 5 series iron in my opinion, is that there is plenty of tech and forgiveness, yet great feedback, and that feedback can let you know when you are hitting the middle of the clubface (thus helping you become a better ball striker, through feedback) yet they are not overly punishing on off center/thin shots.

I think the z585's are really forgiving, and expect the Zx5s to be the same, and according to @Jman 's review, even better. Can't hurt to try to hit them. The benefit of hitting a 5 series iron in my opinion, is that there is plenty of tech and forgiveness, yet great feedback, and that feedback can let you know when you are hitting the middle of the clubface (thus helping you become a better ball striker, through feedback) yet they are not overly punishing on off center/thin shots.
I completely agree with your assessment of the 5 series. Perfect feel on well hit shots. Mishits are felt, but still go pretty well overall. And this is in a package that just appeals to my eye in everyway...

If the ZX can take it up a notch, there will be a lot of happy Srixon fans!

Nice write up, @Jman. If anything draws me away from Mizuno, it will likely be Srixon's Tour VT sole. In a perfect world the ZX5's would be fully forged, but that's not remotely a deal-breaker. I will be checking these out.

For Albatross Club forum members, we have some crazy cool stuff coming up with this line.
Really excited to hear more about this when the time comes!

That is a great write up, and beautiful irons. I am ashamed to admit that I have never even held a Srixon golf club let alone hit one. Those are pretty delightful though.
We will rectify that when we get a round together (y)

for sure not a rumor.

Just put down a deposit on these sticks. Won't see them til the new year but worth waiting for.

Went a split set. ZX5 in the 5 an 6 irons, and ZX7 from 7 iron to GW. Given the extra carry and stronger loft of the ZX range I don't feel I need the 4 iron.

KBS $ Taper Stiff shaft.

I didn't get the lofts adjusted for the ZX5 irons. Can get them bent later if needed but thinking I should have considered 1* weak.

Effortless distance. A full club longer than my 921 Tours. Plenty forgiving too. Will be interesting to see which set stays in the bag long term.

Just put down a deposit on these sticks. Won't see them til the new year but worth waiting for.

Went a split set. ZX5 in the 5 an 6 irons, and ZX7 from 7 iron to GW. Given the extra carry and stronger loft of the ZX range I don't feel I need the 4 iron.

KBS $ Taper Stiff shaft.

I didn't get the lofts adjusted for the ZX5 irons. Can get them bent later if needed but thinking I should have considered 1* weak.

Effortless distance. A full club longer than my 921 Tours. Plenty forgiving too. Will be interesting to see which set stays in the bag long term.
Imo that’s a great place to split, I think you’ll enjoy them in a big way.

Is this the right venue to mention I freaking can't wait for Off Course tomorrow AM with @Canadan and Noellezzz? Yeah, stoked for Friday.

Is this the right venue to mention I freaking can't wait for Off Course tomorrow AM with @Canadan and Noellezzz? Yeah, stoked for Friday.
Thanks dude!! It's a really good one (mostly because of Noelle). Hope you guys enjoy.

Thanks dude!! It's a really good one (mostly because of Noelle). Hope you guys enjoy.
Will be at the top of my morning to do list!

Took the ZX7 7 and PW back out today and backed up what I wrote about in the article. There’s a lot to like about these, and man, that VT Sole 👀

Be honest James......will I like these?!
100% honest, yes. They’re the best iteration yet, I really do believe that, and I absolutely adore the 765 to this day.

Back