Cobra KING Tour Irons with MIM Technology

This weekend, I am headed down to the area where this year’s Morgan Cup was originally scheduled. I am going to play a course in St. George and then Wolf Creek, across the border in Mesquite. I am really excited. The weather is supposed to be great and it will give me a chance to try these irons on some courses with which I am not so familiar and comfortable. It should be a great test.

Wolf Creek I've played a dozen times and it's an amazing track -- if only they could spend a few bucks and improve the greens (both condition wise and the crazy slopes) it would have to be one of the best courses in the country. And many still think it already is. Regardless, it's a heap of fun.

Wolf Creek I've played a dozen times and it's an amazing track -- if only they could spend a few bucks and improve the greens (both condition wise and the crazy slopes) it would have to be one of the best courses in the country. And many still think it already is. Regardless, it's a heap of fun.
I have played it multiple times. It’s a bit too up and down for my taste, but it is sure fun to play once in a while.

Maybe the most complete players leaning iron that isn’t just a MB that cobra has put out. I really do believe that the more that I hit them.

And with the Elevate Tour X100’s? Sheeeeeeesh....

Yeah, I was just asked to step in for one swing on the 7i for a control shot, and it's just a nice club. I mean, 125.5 - 19.7 - 5725 - 178.5 with a Modus 120 S and TP5x? That's launchy for me, but that shaft always is, and I could play that high draw right down the center line all day long of I had to. Feels awesome, and just looks really great over the ball. I have other stuff to play and more coming so I'm not really in the market for them, but I don't see how someone wouldn't want/like these clubs. If a current players cavity is what someone wants I feel like any complaints would be pretty minor, at least in the mid irons.

Last edited:
If I knew for sure there wouldn't be a similar feeling MIM iron from Cobra with a little more forgiveness at the beginning of the year, I'd go buy a set tomorrow. Must have patience!

If I knew for sure there wouldn't be a similar feeling MIM iron from Cobra with a little more forgiveness at the beginning of the year, I'd go buy a set tomorrow. Must have patience!
I'm with you.... surely Cobra will continue its HOT streak and come out with sexy MIM Black cavity backs soon and find themselves with an all-time best-seller. If they don't I'll just have to buy all of the options in the fantastic-feeling black wedges and bend them to ridiculous lofts.

Shaft change was/is a big deal for me with these. Elevate Tour X100’s offering a little more launch and spin, and the VSS a whole lot better on my elbows. Should be an interesting winter to see who gets the bag.

Biggest thing, they feel insanely good, but that freaking minimal offset look just makes me all sorts of :love:

And the durability with MIM is proving to be the surprising thing so far as I’ve still got no bag chatter.

Biggest thing, they feel insanely good, but that freaking minimal offset look just makes me all sorts of :love:

And the durability with MIM is proving to be the surprising thing so far as I’ve still got no bag chatter.

These are what have me so excited to try these eventually. I've been wondering how they'd wear compared to a forged club. The whole MIM process has me really intrigued. Really want to hit these up against a forged club to compare the feel.

These are what have me so excited to try these eventually. I've been wondering how they'd wear compared to a forged club. The whole MIM process has me really intrigued. Really want to hit these up against a forged club to compare the feel.
I’ll admit, I still wish they weren’t polished chrome, but, I’m a long time polished chrome hater.

The durability though has been one of the coolest things so far for me.

I wondered about that. That's awesome to hear, and would be a huge additional benefit people weren't talking about in initial reviews.

I'm getting surprisingly good durability from the black wedges -- so come on Cobra and give us some sexy black MIM irons

Shaft change was/is a big deal for me with these. Elevate Tour X100’s offering a little more launch and spin, and the VSS a whole lot better on my elbows. Should be an interesting winter to see who gets the bag.

You make a new and very valid point, James. I now have 5 or 6 rounds with these and they look brand new. They are as durable as any iron set I have ever seen.

12 GIR today at Wolf Creek in Mesquite, Nevada, a very difficult track. These irons feel so satisfying to hit. They are very cemented in the bag at this point.

I now have 5 or 6 rounds with these and they look brand new. They are as durable as any iron set I have ever seen.
Yeah, they’re approaching PING realm for me there, which is a massive compliment when it comes to resisting chatter. I’ve got about 15 on mine and no chatter marks, at all.

12 GIR today at Wolf Creek in Mesquite, Nevada, a very difficult track. These irons feel so satisfying to hit. They are very cemented in the bag at this point.
SUCH a fun track where if you strike irons well you’re rewarded. Love reading this!

You make a new and very valid point, James. I now have 5 or 6 rounds with these and they look brand new. They are as durable as any iron set I have ever seen.

Would you say these wear better than your FTs?

Before returning home, I got to play another course that required quite a few mid iron shots. With one of these in my hands I was 6/10 GIR (with a total of 13 GIR). The last two days have been at courses that are much lower in elevation than what I am used to, so they continue to perform for me, even without the aid of the elevation, which is exciting.

Have any of you guys combo's these or thought about combo'ing them with the Forged Tec? Or something else.

My friend has a few rounds in on his and I think he might benefit from some more speed at that end. I'm thinking about building a 4 & 5 with some Forged Tec heads I have if he can stand the look of them.

Have any of you guys combo's these or thought about combo'ing them with the Forged Tec? Or something else.

My friend has a few rounds in on his and I think he might benefit from some more speed at that end. I'm thinking about building a 4 & 5 with some Forged Tec heads I have if he can stand the look of them.

You have to get the lofts right, but I could see myself playing FT long irons and these for scoring irons, love the spin profile in the 7i and PW

I absolutely think you could. The key isn’t simply lofts though, it’ll be hitting them to discover your actual DISTANCE gaps. We got forget, loft gaps don’t automatically equate to specific distance gaps.

On a lark, with no real agenda, I purchased the 8 iron version of the King MIM iron and it arrived today.

With no numbers, which will come next, I can say the feel of these irons rival anything I’ve experienced before. This is with a KBS 90 shaft...the feel is amazing

Beyond that, I had zero issues squaring the face and hitting the center. These look less offset than the Forged TEC, however, I prefer the look because I feel I have a bit better control over the face.

More as some numbers come in over the next few days!

One thing that stood out and I’m on the fence of whether or not it’s a negative - the head is heavier than my Epic Forged. It’s similar to the Forged Tec but I wonder if that is helping a bit with the face control...more to come

On a lark, with no real agenda, I purchased the 8 iron version of the King MIM iron and it arrived today.

With no numbers, which will come next, I can say the feel of these irons rival anything I’ve experienced before. This is with a KBS 90 shaft...the feel is amazing

Beyond that, I had zero issues squaring the face and hitting the center. These look less offset than the Forged TEC, however, I prefer the look because I feel I have a bit better control over the face.

More as some numbers come in over the next few days!

One thing that stood out and I’m on the fence of whether or not it’s a negative - the head is heavier than my Epic Forged. It’s similar to the Forged Tec but I wonder if that is helping a bit with the face control...more to come
Yup. The feel is something else man. Top three ever for me....

And Rick Shiels is heavily medicating for saying they don’t feel good.

Yup. The feel is something else man. Top three ever for me....

And Rick Shiels is heavily medicating for saying they don’t feel good.

Ha agreed! I generally like Rick, I wonder if he missed something hint that morning in his routine..

Still, he was waaaaaay off on the feel here

Back