Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

Agree.

I haven’t seen it, but verbally confirmed that it matches the set.

I won’t be taking it if it is some random looking wedge like they did with the 785..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jman I'm in lockdown without golf until the 2nd and I've exhausted the Web on information on these! Haha
Fancy waxing lyrical for one more post to keep me going? Any comparisons to others on feel, dispersion etc?
The more research I've done has shown that the 785s were some of the best feeling irons available. Just strange that I've never seen them even in a store in the UK let alone in someone's bag.
The ZX7'S are one of 4 sets that I'm considering but the almost cult like following has me super excited to try these out.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Jman I'm in lockdown without golf until the 2nd and I've exhausted the Web on information on these! Haha
Fancy waxing lyrical for one more post to keep me going? Any comparisons to others on feel, dispersion etc?
The more research I've done has shown that the 785s were some of the best feeling irons available. Just strange that I've never seen them even in a store in the UK let alone in someone's bag.
The ZX7'S are one of 4 sets that I'm considering but the almost cult like following has me super excited to try these out.

Of course man! I’m here for you all however I can help, always!

Dispersion wise, if you’re one use to true players profiles, then the ZX7 are as on point ther was you could want, and at times with the VT sole and how it interacts with all types of lies, better than many. Of course we both know though that shaft fit is a key there when it comes to dispersion as well.

For feel, in line with the 745, 765, and 785....which is to say very good. Not deadened at impact as there’s a slight bit of firmness in there but not one that comes off as sharp at all, it rides a middle line beautifully. Not for me one of the “softest” out there, but one of the best overall feeling setups I’ve spent time with. There’s not going to be anything in that area that most wont like feedback wise.

How is the distance retention on a toe side miss? That’s always my biggest issue from time to time

How is the distance retention on a toe side miss? That’s always my biggest issue from time to time
For which iron?

7’s are a player iron, so you get what you’d expect there. The 5’s with mainframe are something else entirely, and that miss will be more playable by a sizeable margin comparatively.

For which iron?

7’s are a player iron, so you get what you’d expect there. The 5’s with mainframe are something else entirely, and that miss will be more playable by a sizeable margin comparatively.
Hey @Jman , from the article I gather that Mainframe is the A.I. used to design the irons, through many iterations or shapes, designs, weight, etc., plus the materials used to produce the irons? Is that correct?

Hey @Jman , from the article I gather that Mainframe is the A.I. used to design the irons, through many iterations or shapes, designs, weight, etc., plus the materials used to produce the irons? Is that correct?
Mainframe is the milling pattern behind the face, in terms of weight placement and manipulation through grooves and channels. This was done via the design team and AI working together to create a face in the ZX5 and ZXU that is faster across the striking area as well as more forgiving and with better retention.

It's weird it's not listed anywhere on their website.

Its lurking on the specs page... I swear I saw a page somewhere that listed a SW available in ZX7 but I can;t find it now.

ZX7 IRONS SPECS
HEADLOFTLIEOFFSET(mm)LENGTHSTEEL SWAVAILABLE OPTIONS
320°60.0°3.639"D3RH/LH
422°60.5°3.538.5"D3RH/LH
525°61.0°3.438"D3RH/LH
628°61.5°3.237.5"D3RH/LH
732°62.0°2.937"D3RH/LH
836°62.5°2.436.5"D3RH/LH
941°63.0°2.036"D3RH/LH
PW46°63.5°1.835.5"D3RH/LH
AW51°63.5°1.435.5"D4RH

Agree.

I haven’t seen it, but verbally confirmed that it matches the set.

I won’t be taking it if it is some random looking wedge like they did with the 785..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please post some pics when you have it!

Mainframe is the milling pattern behind the face, in terms of weight placement and manipulation through grooves and channels. This was done via the design team and AI working together to create a face in the ZX5 and ZXU that is faster across the striking area as well as more forgiving and with better retention.
I just keep trying to wrap my head around all the options, both internal and external, that these designers have to play with. Limitless possibilities out there, which means that no two are created equal.

For which iron?

I’d say for both, yeah. I’m finally at the point of not prejudging irons and which ones would work in the abstract, at least I hope. Either of these irons could probably work well for me if fit

Its lurking on the specs page... I swear I saw a page somewhere that listed a SW available in ZX7 but I can;t find it now.

ZX7 IRONS SPECS
HEADLOFTLIEOFFSET(mm)LENGTHSTEEL SWAVAILABLE OPTIONS
320°60.0°3.639"D3RH/LH
422°60.5°3.538.5"D3RH/LH
525°61.0°3.438"D3RH/LH
628°61.5°3.237.5"D3RH/LH
732°62.0°2.937"D3RH/LH
836°62.5°2.436.5"D3RH/LH
941°63.0°2.036"D3RH/LH
PW46°63.5°1.835.5"D3RH/LH
AW51°63.5°1.435.5"D4RH

Please post some pics when you have it!
Crazy. I've been going to their UK page for months, because they had the info out there first, and it's not listed in the spec sheet. Thanks. The PW looks pretty good, so I'd likely want the set A for these.

Man James, the picture of the sole of the 7 iron zx7 looks a little bigger, and more forgiving, than I was expecting. Just that makes it seem like the zx7 would be something I would enjoy.

When I get sick of the screws I am playing the ZX5 sure seem like I would enjoy them, I have always had a love / hate relationship with the VT soles but these seem a bit less pronounced from the pictures.

I never should have come back in this thread! :LOL: I was planning to wait until after the holiday to finally take them out, and now I'm making up all kinds of excuses for doing it today... even though I never reshafted them and they'll annoy me. It's really soft here right now though, so when better? :unsure:

When I get sick of the screws I am playing the ZX5 sure seem like I would enjoy them, I have always had a love / hate relationship with the VT soles but these seem a bit less pronounced from the pictures.
I love the V sole, but the only time I dont get along with it is during wet conditions. Not just rain, but the ground is mushy wet. Seems to dig in too much, and I get a lot of fat shots.

Anything else, and I love the sole!

Cold, windy, and wet.... yeah. Perfect time to dig and launch. Lol Let's do this.

Gonna have to rush to bend them before tee time though..

Cold, windy, and wet.... yeah. Perfect time to dig and launch. Lol Let's do this.

Gonna have to rush to bend them before tee time though..

#shenanigans - how'd you get your paws on a set of these so early!

I love the V sole, but the only time I dont get along with it is during wet conditions. Not just rain, but the ground is mushy wet. Seems to dig in too much, and I get a lot of fat shots.

Anything else, and I love the sole!
I thought the VT sole was designed to prevent digging, that's why the extra bounce? Have I got that wrong?
It's usually pretty wet in the UK so would be good to get that right!

I thought the VT sole was designed to prevent digging, that's why the extra bounce? Have I got that wrong?

Just me personally, could have been my swing on those few days, but I noticed it more. I don't get enough wet rounds in to know if it was my swing, or the sole itself. Hopefully there is someone out there with more rounds with the V sole in wet conditions.

#shenanigans - how'd you get your paws on a set of these so early!
That's part of why I left the thread a while back and have been content to just let them sit ignored in the closet for... a while. You can get them if you want them though. I really haven't been that excited about them either. My buddy put his ZX5's in play though, and they sizzle, so that's kind of what put them back on my mind.

I'm not sure I'm going to get them bent before the round. Traffic is hell. If I have to play them standard lie, with modus 120S, it should be a pretty proper disaster. :LOL:. I didn't bring anything else.

Edit: yup, only had time for 2. Bring on the draws.

Last edited:
Man James, the picture of the sole of the 7 iron zx7 looks a little bigger, and more forgiving, than I was expecting. Just that makes it seem like the zx7 would be something I would enjoy.
It’s not big by any means fwiw. Maybe longer heel to toe, but it’s a players profile sole width imo.

4ED28CCC-22C2-4514-8E09-9FC5E7243223.jpeg

I’ll grab a pic next to my Cobra MIM and Miura CB57 when I get home.

It flows through all conditions. It’s not an extra bounce thing as much as it’s the way the bounce is placed front edge versus back.

Most times the only ones who don’t get on well with it in sloppy conditions are pickers or those who take tiny divots in my experiences over the years since the 745.

I never should have come back in this thread! :LOL: I was planning to wait until after the holiday to finally take them out, and now I'm making up all kinds of excuses for doing it today... even though I never reshafted them and they'll annoy me. It's really soft here right now though, so when better? :unsure:
You go though irons faster than I did in my prime time hoing!! but the difference is you make birdies with everything!!

@Jman I'm late to say so, but this was an excellent write-up friend. Srixon's iron offerings have been intriguing since they made a big push with the 45 series. They continue to get better looking and more refined with every 2 years gone by. The 585/785 irons were so close to making the bag last time around but lost out to the Apex CF19 Combo. I can't wait to see these in hand come January.

Back