Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

yep those would be in iron covers for me. Beautiful irons that don't need the unnecessary beating of bag chatter.
Boo iron covers.

Let those beauties breathe! Scars and all!

I would have to let everyone see how pretty they are. :cool:
Honestly, I was thinking that as I was cleaning them. They really are pretty. Strong section lines and angles, but transitions are good and ever so slightly rounded, so they flow really well. And clean up like a dream. Nowhere for anything to get stuck. I noticed that on course. They wipe clean in the moment really well. Pleasantly surprised by that in the messy conditions last round.

Honestly, I was thinking that as I was cleaning them. They really are pretty. Strong section lines and angles, but transitions are good and ever so slightly rounded, so they flow really well. And clean up like a dream. Nowhere for anything to get stuck. I noticed that on course. They wipe clean in the moment really well. Pleasantly surprised by that in the messy conditions last round.
Thanks so much these pictures are awesome! They must feel amazing if they are this soft, how do you like them in comparison to the P7MC? I actually preferred the P7MC to the JPX921 Tours.
I have no shame using iron covers, I always want my irons to look pristine for me!
It's the way my 710MBs have managed to stay looking this good after more than a decade of use.
149511751c563847206b35fd59dc252b.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Yes! lol

I think spin is and isn't overblown. I don't think it's as big a concern for some as much as others. All relative to swing and personal spin levels, skill, expectations, blah blah blah. For MY game, the whole descent angle conversation is overblown. I give 2 ***** about descent angle the way it generally seems to be used.. I mostly want no part of flying things high enough to depend on descent angle to save my lack of spin. Should the average player go for more launch and less spin coming in at a higher angle? Maybe more so? I don't know, but there are low spin players of various levels too, and they might notice a few hundred less revs. I noticed a few shots first round, and last round, having less spin and hold than I'm used to, but again, that's relative to what I've been playing. I think it gets a little muddled with club number and lift though, so I try to think about it in terms of distance. I want a certain spin at a certain window for a certain distance. In the end I don't care what number or loft club does that as long as it's consistent and the whole club range is covered. That's probably the gist of my 'it is and isn't' for me. Hope that makes sense and didn't sound argumentative. Wasn't meant that way.

I did change balls the last 9 yesterday to try to add more hold power, even though it was wet and windy.
I've been thinking a lot about low spin and trying to understand how low is low. When you see these compared to others on YouTube they are only ever a little bit lower.
But also from a shot making point lower spin is going to result in straighter shots surely? Additionally it's always the 7 irons compared, I read that the break to the closer grooves is at the 7/8 iron. How does the spin compare in the 8 iron to your P7MC for example?
I'm also hoping that lower spin will result in ease of play in super windy conditions, something that makes golf in the UK quite difficult for me and my high ball flight.

Thanks so much these pictures are awesome! They must feel amazing if they are this soft, how do you like them in comparison to the P7MC? I actually preferred the P7MC to the JPX921 Tours.
I have no shame using iron covers, I always want my irons to look pristine for me!
It's the way my 710MBs have managed to stay looking this good after more than a decade of use.
149511751c563847206b35fd59dc252b.jpg

They feel really good. And V soles are so easy to like. I've only played a couple rounds with them so not totally fair to compare them. I think they seem more friendly/forgiving than the P7MC, but the size difference alone could account for that. And that's part of why it's hard to compare them. The MC fit my eye better, because I like a compact head. Same with them next to the 921 tours. Just preference. These definitely aren't long or anything, though. I think they have a really nice shape. Early to compare them on actual performance. Two very different rounds in terms of conditions.

Those MB's look amazing!!

They feel really good. And V soles are so easy to like. I've only played a couple rounds with them so not totally fair to compare them. I think they seem more friendly/forgiving than the P7MC, but the size difference alone could account for that. And that's part of why it's hard to compare them. The MC fit my eye better, because I like a compact head. Same with them next to the 921 tours. Just preference. These definitely aren't long or anything, though. I think they have a really nice shape. Early to compare them on actual performance. Two very different rounds in terms of conditions.

Those MB's look amazing!!
I think I read a comment somewhere which sort of suggested that these would fit between the Tours and the Forged in the JPX921 line up. If that's the case then that would be ideal.

I've been thinking a lot about low spin and trying to understand how low is low. When you see these compared to others on YouTube they are only ever a little bit lower.
But also from a shot making point lower spin is going to result in straighter shots surely? Additionally it's always the 7 irons compared, I read that the break to the closer grooves is at the 7/8 iron. How does the spin compare in the 8 iron to your P7MC for example?
I'm also hoping that lower spin will result in ease of play in super windy conditions, something that makes golf in the UK quite difficult for me and my high ball flight.

I should have thought to share one of that. Yes, the grooves change between 7 and 8.

20201127_001337.jpg

8 is on top.

I'm not sure how it directly compares to the MC, and have a limited number of on course shots, but my instinct is that it spins less by a fair margin. They are different lofts though, too. First round on firm greens I saw some results with the short irons I've definitely never seen there with the MC's, and same thing yesterday. All swings and needs are different though. It sounds like you'd prefer lower spin with your ball flight. I try to not go too much over 100' and with a lower launch even when it isn't blowing for better control, so I prefer some.

Last edited:
I think I read a comment somewhere which sort of suggested that these would fit between the Tours and the Forged in the JPX921 line up. If that's the case then that would be ideal.

I definitely wouldn't argue against that idea from what I've seen. Some monitor numbers weren't all that different for me vs the Forged, but size and feel more similar to the tours (but better, imo)... I think that's pretty fair to put it in the middle. Others would surely disagree though.

Last edited:
I should have thought to share one of that. Yes, the grooves change between 7 and 8.

View attachment 8976364

8 is on top.

I'm not sure how it directly compares to the MC, and have a limited number of on course shots, but my instinct is that it spins less by a fair margin. They are different lofts though, too. First round on firm greens I saw some results with the short irons I've definitely never seen there with the MC's, and same thing yesterday. All swings and needs are different though. It sounds like you'd prefer lower spin with your ball flight. I try to not go too much over 100' and with a lower launch even when it isn't blowing for better control, so I prefer some.
Below 100 feet you say, I've just discovered that Toptracer keeps some stats on my app.
My 7 iron typical height is 130+!
Look at that decent angle. Madness.
I think this stems from my junior days playing on super firm greens in Uganda.
Really need to work on trying to bring this lower into a more controlled flight. Either way I don't think lower spin would be a problem for me, might even help
df59863ce537ce6609f77e8e2c859906.jpg

Below 100 feet you say, I've just discovered that Toptracer keeps some stats on my app.
My 7 iron typical height is 130+!
Look at that decent angle. Madness.
I think this stems from my junior days playing on super firm greens in Uganda.
Really need to work on trying to bring this lower into a more controlled flight. Either way I don't think lower spin would be a problem for me, might even help
df59863ce537ce6609f77e8e2c859906.jpg

Well not necessarily below 100 as a rule, but anything over 110 is likely a miss for me, or I'm playing a shaft that doesn't suit. There's no rules on ball flight, just what I prefer. Little more control over things, and cuts that air time by a couple seconds. A lot can happen in the wind in 7+ seconds, and I'm a bit of a control freak! :LOL:. You're getting about all you can get for distance with your flight though, and there's value in that if it plays that way.

Last edited:
Yeah, they took some noticeable hits the first time out. After 2 rounds every single iron has one, usually 2 or more. @Jman said his were holding up well, so it kind of surprised me. When you bend them though, it's impossible not to notice how soft they are. That doesn't exactly equate to durability, but isn't unrelated either.
I’ve got 8 rounds on the 7i and Pw of both sets as well as range sessions and have seen nothing like that, even with 16+ clubs in the bag while testing/reviewing.

That said, they’re soft. The Srixon irons have always been some of the softest forging out there, and when you play a true forged players iron chatter and marks will happen, and often. The only ones I’ve see that it’s not the case are the MIM and any PING (cast) players iron.

yep those would be in iron covers for me. Beautiful irons that don't need the unnecessary beating of bag chatter.
Irons are workhorses. Not trailer queens, that’s the putter and driver. (y);)

I’ve got 8 rounds on the 7i and Pw of both sets as well as range sessions and have seen nothing like that, even with 16+ clubs in the bag while testing/reviewing.

That said, they’re soft. The Srixon irons have always been some of the softest forging out there, and when you play a true forged players iron chatter and marks will happen, and often. The only ones I’ve see that it’s not the case are the MIM and any PING (cast) players iron.
The MIM jump out in my mind on that. They seem like they're built to hold up to that kind of wear. You've mentioned it and I don't even want to say what my buddy did to his bag of them in the parking lot recently, but they brushed off with nary a scratch.

I'll have a set either way.

I'm re-thinking my decision to combo and tempted to switch to ZX7. My clubs won't be built until early 2021 so I've got time to think.

For those that have hit both extensively.. is there a noticeable improvement in how they maintain ball speeds on off centered strikes? On the flipside, did you see much difference in consistency between the two models on better strikes?

Essentially I'm trying to work out if I am trading anything off by including the ZX5's in the longer irons other than a different feel, a little more offset and a thicker top line, all of which I am perfectly fine with. If those are the only downsides I feel validated in my decision to combo, but if the ZX5's are going to provide more inconsistent results on good strikes then I'd want the ZX7's all day long.

I'm also yet to see any advice from Srixon as to how lofts should be tweaked to combo these clubs. Has anyone seen anything, or have any thoughts? I am splitting between 6/7 iron and have not requested any loft changes. Given the set is a combo not sure if Srixon will do this automatically..?

Rained a ton again and it's supposed to be low 40's and windy tomorrow, but I'm going to get the ZX7 out for a 4th outing if they'll let us on somewhere. Want to get them on another different course that I play a lot. Once I've played them on 3 regulars I usually have a pretty good feel for what they are.

Saw that Alex Etches just did a video on them. He loved the look of them but seemed a little thrown by the spin. He spins the heck out the ball, but was only averaging about 5500. Seemed a little fluky because he's never under 6k.

Rained a ton again and it's supposed to be low 40's and windy tomorrow, but I'm going to get the ZX7 out for a 4th outing if they'll let us on somewhere. Want to get them on another different course that I play a lot. Once I've played them on 3 regulars I usually have a pretty good feel for what they are.

Saw that Alex Etches just did a video on them. He loved the look of them but seemed a little thrown by the spin. He spins the heck out the ball, but was only averaging about 5500. Seemed a little fluky because he's never under 6k.

Which iron/loft did he test?

The MIM jump out in my mind on that. They seem like they're built to hold up to that kind of wear. You've mentioned it and I don't even want to say what my buddy did to his bag of them in the parking lot recently, but they brushed off with nary a scratch.
My MIM wedges on the otherhand are showing some dings. But I think most of them are from getting bent.

I'm re-thinking my decision to combo and tempted to switch to ZX7. My clubs won't be built until early 2021 so I've got time to think.

For those that have hit both extensively.. is there a noticeable improvement in how they maintain ball speeds on off centered strikes? On the flipside, did you see much difference in consistency between the two models on better strikes?

Essentially I'm trying to work out if I am trading anything off by including the ZX5's in the longer irons other than a different feel, a little more offset and a thicker top line, all of which I am perfectly fine with. If those are the only downsides I feel validated in my decision to combo, but if the ZX5's are going to provide more inconsistent results on good strikes then I'd want the ZX7's all day long.

I'm also yet to see any advice from Srixon as to how lofts should be tweaked to combo these clubs. Has anyone seen anything, or have any thoughts? I am splitting between 6/7 iron and have not requested any loft changes. Given the set is a combo not sure if Srixon will do this automatically..?
You can see the numbers in the article of the OP of the two designs and it shows a bit of what you’re talking about. The 5’s will be longer, but not earth shakingly so, the big story which is being missed by most because they’re both just so damn sexy, is the Mainframe design on the 5’s, it’s ball speed generation and retention across the face is much more noticeable than on the 7’s.

They will not adjust lofts, unless you request on the order. Whether one will need them tweaked or not is dependent on the location of the split imo. Most are going to put in 5’s looking for more launch and ease in the longer irons, and if that comes with a few more yards then that’s ok. Only way to know how they will gap for someone is to just hit them still. (y)

The mainframe in the 5 series is why I would consider going with a full ZX5 set, instead of a combo. Or, at the least, take it up to the 7i, then ZX7 in 8-PW. I'm not looking past all ZX5 though.

Which iron/loft did he test?
Stock 7 I think. I have to think it's an outlier for him, and it makes me question putting it out there a little. His elbow was hurting recently so he might have been delivering a little differently. I mean, it ended up about 700 less for him than the 921 Forged which is more than a little :unsure:.

Stock 7. I have to think it's an outlier for him, and it makes me question putting it out there a little. His elbow was hurting recently so he might have been delivering a little differently. I mean, it ended up about 700 less for him than the 921 Forged which is more than a little :unsure:.

That is interesting as he puts a hell of a lot of CHS into the ball at impact even on lower irons. Get the ball high enough with enough ball speed, and you won't really miss the drop in RPM's from a green-holding perspective but it might change flight characteristics given the lower amount of total backspin. Not the first time new irons have been lower spinning out of the gate.

The mainframe in the 5 series is why I would consider going with a full ZX5 set, instead of a combo. Or, at the least, take it up to the 7i, then ZX7 in 8-PW. I'm not looking past all ZX5 though.
My thoughts exactly. Love the idea of a full bag of ZX5’s.

Back