Golf Pride Concept Helix Grips

Great to see this thread up and running....I got my grips in the day before i headed out for a 10 day excursion to the Grand Canyon and all around New Mexico and Arizona. I had already decided to leave the clubs at home and spend time with the Bestest Half and our fur baby seeking and hiking around whatever we found.....this was burning in my head to try when i got back.

I took a 7 Iron, 50 Deg Wedge and my Driver and stripped them down no tape, no stickers, take the cute 1" label off th graphite shaft...clean

THAT WAS THE HARDEST PART !

I was skeptical at first because i swing with authority and figured they was no way this would hold true, but it really works. I grip my own clubs anyway so to be able to slide this on lock it into place and yes i went to the range before the first game a tried them out, they were ON THERE ! and yes, as part of my review to them was please send me 10 more since we got 3 up front, i would have done the whole set of clubs.

I am one of those who puts an extra wrap on my clubs and a half wrap for my lower hand, but these felt great. Can you grip you clubs in your man cave with no solvent, no tape and not cut your finger with that hook knife? Yes u can......Still got it on my 50 degree wedge too, and that is my money machine from 115 yards in to 80....try them, please try them....or don't, that way they will be in stock for me....

I was able to test these out. I find the concept to be really cool, it is just as easy as they say. I've installed plenty of grips the old fashioned way and while I never found it to be difficult this is game changer for ease of use and no mess. A couple things that I didn't like was you really had to turn it quite a bit and then twist the grip as well. If you are going to do a full set you will likely need some gloves. As far as removing and reinstalling the same grip I had a few issues there too but eventually got it to work.

Its a very cool concept and could be a game changer.

Just after I bought all the tools to do my grips the "old" way!! Looks like a pretty cool idea!
Only issue is the removal of old tape, still gonna need those stinky chemicals....

removing the old tape was easier than I thought, you can either pull the tape directly off with no heat, or use a heating source (hair dryer) to make it even easier. Rubbing alcohol can then be used to remove any residue left (I used goo gone since I had it handy). For someone who has never changed their own grips, I was surprised at how easy the removal/cleanup process was for getting the shaft ready for this new helix system.

Last edited:
I was able to test these out. I find the concept to be really cool, it is just as easy as they say. I've installed plenty of grips the old fashioned way and while I never found it to be difficult this is game changer for ease of use and no mess. A couple things that I didn't like was you really had to turn it quite a bit and then twist the grip as well. If you are going to do a full set you will likely need some gloves. As far as removing and reinstalling the same grip I had a few issues there too but eventually got it to work.

Good point about the gloves. I thought about that too, after doing the 3rd grip. If I was doing a full set, i would recommend a glove for the twisting of the grip.

The first grip took me about 20 minutes because I'm a newbie grip person and was hesitant to make a mistake, the second two I did much quicker.
It really is a simple concept that works!!! Your hands will be tired at the end from all the twisting, but once tightened down I haven't had any issues yet with one of the grips coming loose.
The nice thing about this is the simplicity of it, in the future you could change a grip out in 5 minutes or less.
It will be interesting to see the different designs and colors that these come in.

This concept could be pretty interesting for putter grips as well.

Right out of the box, I was very impressed with the helix grip and the technology Golf Pride packed into it. It truly is a cool concept and I think a lot of people will like it.

The utility here, as others have mentioned, is not the first installation. You still need to cut off old grips and remove the tape. This was my first time ever doing that, and boy I found that process to be tedious. Once removed, my first install did not go very smoothly. I don't think I realized how much torque to put into the "twisting method" of tightening the grip, so I had loose pockets. I spent so much time trying to tighten the grip my hand actually got pretty raw. I was admittedly frustrated.

BUT Golf Pride asked you to remove the grip and re-install. THAT's where you see the massive benefit. Tape gone and experience with the process: Boom--next install went very quickly. And I didn't have any issue tightening the grip this time around (same grip, same club). I actually remember saying out loud, "oh, this IS easy," haha.

Once installed, the grip has a very nice feel to it. Not too soft, not too firm, and definitely tacky. The grip feels a little thicker than standard but not by much.

On the course, the helix grip got most work on my gap wedge, which I use a ton--full swings, pitching, and chipping. The grip felt great, and with the colder temps I had to play in, I was especially grateful for the extra tackiness. While I was only able to get a couple rounds in, I used clubs with the helix grip probably two dozen times per round. And I had no issue with the grip becoming loose. It performed very well.

Overall, I am impressed with Golf Pride's new Helix concept. It is very clever, and the grip itself is quite nice. I don't think I'm ready to move on from my beloved MCCs, and with the little amount my shop charges me to change grips ($1.50/grip), I'm not sure whether any cost-savings would move me over to Helix full-time yet. But it was really cool to be able to change grips with no prior experience--especially without screwing them up. I could definitely see myself switching over eventually.

Glad to see this thread start up.

I got to test these. Installation wasn't that bad. I've never gripped my own clubs, but with this it was doable. First one took awhile, but like others said it got easier on my later attempts.

The concept is really cool, but twisting the grips on is kinda annoying. I did not experience any slippage after installation.

I also really liked the style of grip they gave us to try. I had a Z Grip style grip.

Great write-up @Molten ! As someone who has also never changed their own grips, I felt like a perfect candidate to test them out, and was pleasantly surprised with the results.

For me, the pros of this system are the ease of use, minimal tools required, minimal time required, and the fact that it feels and plays like a premium rubber grip.

The cons were the amount of turning and twisting needed (could get worn out doing a whole set), thinking I had to overtwist to get the grip to feel stable (for some reason the grip just felt loose on the shaft unless I really twisted it, which resulted in over twisting/stretching out the grip pattern), only having rubber as an option (as a MMC user Im not sure this tech can be used on a grip like MMC/cord, but we’ll see if GP can figure it out!), and also the fact that the grips can not currently be used with popular data collection systems (Arccos/Shot Scope/etc.).

Overall I’m really excited about the tech and the possibilities it holds for the future, and most importantly, the fact that I’ll be able to change my own grips when I want and where I want.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if any of the other testers tried this but, as a +4 user I experimented with how far on I installed the grip. Leaving it 1/2-3/4 inch short of the recommended installation length allowed me to have a little more bulk under the lower hand and was still secure on the club.

Smart! I did that on accident the first time. :LOL: I did find the grip slightly thicker than my MCCs.

Great point on the gloves! I didn't think of that, and my right hand was pretty raw when I was done installing mine.

Great point on the gloves! I didn't think of that, and my right hand was pretty raw when I was done installing mine.
Yeah that was me too and I definitely mentioned it in our feedback.

I was one of the lucky ones able to test this product. I have never changed a grip in my entire life and this process could not have been easier! I picked my 3w,4 hybrid and 56 degree wedge as guinea pigs for this process. Like others have said the hardest part was removing the old grip and tape but once that was done the process of putting on the grips was easy peasy! So far I have had no issue with the grips that needed retightening or readjusting and if it does in the future I have the little adjuster in my golf bag to fix it. I am hoping in the future they extend this process to midsize/jumbo grips. I was golfing with @fairwaynut last month and still under strict NDA guidelines so he had to close his eyes when I was swinging these clubs so now that the NDA is over he will be able to see how bad my swing really is!:rolleyes:

Yeah these are pretty cool. I will be ecstatic if they hold up.

Really interested to see if they expand these if they end up being successful, not a huge fan of Tour Velvet, but I'll definitely pick one up and give it a try

Interesting concept wonder what the cost point will be on putting on a full set with these versus wrapping and installing yourself? Getting someone else to install grips is getting more expensive and varies in quality IMO. I usually prefer building up a couple of wraps and am very picky on aligning the grip, but based on above reviews might well try these.

A couple more questions on this.

do we know what the tension system itself is? I tried looking around for it and didn’t see it mentioned in detail anywhere. From the video it almost appears like tension wire (I’m thinking FJ BOA or Puma DISC),

any concerns with over tightening? Or losing tension over time?

I think it all depends on original installation. As long as you get good tightness evenly it should stay! If not id remove completely and reinstall as it takes no time.

This is an incredible breakthrough IMO. Wow! I can't wait for feedback and to learn if they have any align or cord grips planned for the future!

This is an incredible breakthrough IMO. Wow! I can't wait for feedback and to learn if they have any align or cord grips planned for the future!
Are you looking for any specific feedback that hasn't been covered? I'd be happy to share more thoughts if you do.

with the twisting that is needed to apply the grip to the shaft, I’m not sure if cord will be a viable option for this technology.

Are you looking for any specific feedback that hasn't been covered? I'd be happy to share more thoughts if you do.

Same!

this was such a fun product to test.

i am very much like @Molten in that i've never changed a grip in my life. and while i can't speak to this about him, i will confess that i am the anti-diy guy. i don't cut my own grass. i don't wash my own car. and if i had a handyman i could rely on i wouldn't attempt to fix anything around my house. i suck at all of those man tasks.

so naturally i've never even attempted to change a grip. i just pay someone else to do it.

when i received my box of concept helix, and watched the tutorial videos, i got agitated. like nope, no way, i won't be able to do this. it's too complicated. but i needed to fulfill my obligation, so suck it up buttercup.

i went to home depot to buy the correct blade for my utility knife so i could remove the old grip, as well as adhesive removal. cutting the old grip wasn't bad, but removing the adhesive was a b1tch. honestly, i still have no idea how to do that. it took me SO LONG to remove the adhesive from the 4 clubs i chose for the test. obviously i just wasn't doing it correctly, but if the goal here is to give anti-diy guys like i am a chance to do the work themselves, i think more info should be provided on how to quickly and cleanly remove the existing adhesive.

once the adhesive was (mostly) removed, i got my phone and started the installation process. watched a video for a step, then do the step. here's where i was blown away: i could actually do it!!! like, it is SO easy, and SO fast, i was shocked. the only part of this process that i think could be a problem is the manual twisting needed to fully secure the grip (i believe this is the last step?). it requires a lot more force than i originally thought, and i could see this being challenging for golfers with less than average forearm strength, or maybe arthritis or other physical limitations.

at the time, the rest of my clubs were gripped with tour velvet plus 4. in hand, i don't think i could tell a difference which grip was concept helix and which was tv+4. to me, that means 1- ch is a high quality grip, and 2- ch is thicker than a standard grip. vibration dampening was very similar to tv, again a very good thing in my book. and in hot, humid conditions i did not experience any slipping at all. personally, i loved the ch grip and would absolutely choose them as a long-term gamer.

unrelated to this test, i decided i wanted to drop down from the thicker tv+4 and put a standard size grip on my clubs. that meant it was time to remove the ch. so again, called up a video for a step, then do the step. and again, shockingly easy. the only club that gave me fits was the club that i was unable to remove the majority of adhesive, so i think that was my fault and not a flaw in the ch design. all the other grips came off exactly as designed.

my parting thought with this concept is that it was fantastic for a 360-type grip; something that doesn't have a spine or other align tech, or a logo or other graphic alignment aid that needs to be perfectly positioned. that limits the type of grips this works for.

concept helix is an incredibly innovative product that will allow even the most motor-challenged of us to bypass the expense of grip changes, without sacrificing the quality of the grip itself. i can also see this being great for people in more remote areas who do not have quick access to a clubmaker. pricing will be interesting here, but i hope more thp'ers get a chance to try these grips and provide some feedback.

Looks like cool system however being a ShotScope user and finding some way to put on the "Tags"

concept helix is an incredibly innovative product that will allow even the most motor-challenged of us to bypass the expense of grip changes, without sacrificing the quality of the grip itself. i can also see this being great for people in more remote areas who do not have quick access to a clubmaker. pricing will be interesting here, but i hope more thp'ers get a chance to try these grips and provide some feedback.

Excellent writeup my man. The bolded is what I'm curious about. If they are priced too high I don't think they will do well.

Excellent writeup my man. The bolded is what I'm curious about. If they are priced too high I don't think they will do well.

They are $10.

Back