Golf Pride Concept Helix Grips

These look awesome, home gripping made super easy!

@Canadan - I agree with @jdtox - the grips were so simple to install, I was able to install the grip with one hand. With the red install tool, the grip just slid down the shaft.
For me it's more like... velcro vs laces.. There's something incredibly comforting in knowing the grip is totally glued.

I hear ya....and you have seen me swing the handle before and I have seen you swing. That being said, we can send a ball down range. My first few swings we tentative to say the least just waiting to see how much the grip moved and just when will I be chasing my shaft on the driving range. By the fourth swing, i was swinging like normal and really did not adjust the grip at all during the round....you seriously need to try one

Last edited:
I will say its a very cool and revolutionary idea. I guess where I'm struggling with it is, is there really a benefit to doing this for most of us? I guess is I played/practiced a ton, and went through several sets of grips a year you start to see more of a cost benefit. But I'd guess the average golfer changes grips once a year, and this really doesn't seem like it would save you any money then?

THP'ers just buy new clubs and get new grips all the time before you even need to change them :)

I will say its a very cool and revolutionary idea. I guess where I'm struggling with it is, is there really a benefit to doing this for most of us? I guess is I played/practiced a ton, and went through several sets of grips a year you start to see more of a cost benefit. But I'd guess the average golfer changes grips once a year, and this really doesn't seem like it would save you any money then?

THP'ers just buy new clubs and get new grips all the time before you even need to change them :)
I dont disagree with your points. But how much of that only changing once per year, or every 2 years, would change if the process was simple, or didnt require you taking your clubs somewhere? I dont think the cost benefit is as crucial, as the ability to easily do it on your own. I'd love to try out different grips, but the old process of changing grips seems too difficult. This would change my mindset.

It's nice to see innovation. I don't see myself ever using it.

• I ran into issues with bulging or ("bunching" as it's stated in the instructional videos)near the butt of the grip. This could be completely user error (a result of over-twisting), but for whatever reason, this continued to occur in my installations. It wasn't a deal breaker, but it was definitely detectable once installed. I uninstalled and reinstalled several times and ran into the same issue. For this reason, I didn't reference the time it took for installation in this quick review since my time frame was probably an anomaly.
  • Lastly, I wouldn't mind fewer turns required for the installation, but that's just personal preference
I had that bunching with one grip, the one I installed on a steel shaft. The other two were installed on graphite shafts though I don't know that shaft material contributed to it or not. Removing it and trying it again made no difference, still slight bunching. The only time it becomes an issue, however, as it is on the underside and low on the grip, is when I choke down. Yes, it does take a lot of turns of the "horn" to finalize installation but I can accept that as a trade off for the sense of security it provides given the total lack of slippage or twisting or need for re-tightening I have experienced so far.

I dont disagree with your points. But how much of that only changing once per year, or every 2 years, would change if the process was simple, or didnt require you taking your clubs somewhere? I dont think the cost benefit is as crucial, as the ability to easily do it on your own. I'd love to try out different grips, but the old process of changing grips seems too difficult. This would change my mindset.

For me personally I don't think it would but I'm lucky enough to be about 5 mins from a great golf store and am there all the time. But again, options are great and love to see companies think of new ideas.

I was happy to be selected for the test run.

I've put on a few grips before and learned that was beyond what my limited aptitude for such things. I read through the directions several times to be sure I had a good grasp on what I needed to do. It took me some time to get a grip off an old sand wedge but I had a better time getting the grip off and the shaft cleaned on a couple of graphite shafted clubs that were not as old. Everything went pretty smoothly (for me) from there. Even though I didn't find it very hard or easy to remove and install the grip, I felt like I had accomplished something! I like the idea that I could change my own grips and would no doubt become quicker and more adept at it.

I haven't played a standard size grip in several years. So, I'm probably not the best guy to give this grip a rave review. I like the CP2 Wrap Mid for its vibration damping and feel. I think this grip material is middle of the road on softness and feels like a Tour Velvet. With that said, the grip performed well enough for me in limited play. I'd be very interested to see how it performs in the hot humid conditions in which I play most of my golf.

If you play a standard sized grip, give this a go. It's tremendously interesting concept. With more grip choices, I can see this getting good traction in the golf community.

I appreciate the chance to try this. Many thanks to Golf Pride and @THP.

This seems SUPER promising! Love when we get some new innovative tech in the golf world. These seem to be a major step forward in the grip world, but does GP expect them to have good marketability? I think there is a certain small % of golfers who change their grip regularly (its not even every THP'er), other than that people fall into the very infrequent or the "you can change a grip?" category. Obviously to spend the $$ on R&D GP expects this to provide a return, I'm just interested to see how quickly this becomes main stream.
Its more than people think, but if people didnt have to deal with tools necessary, it would definitely increase.
I know @JDax and @e1iterate can give an estimate in how many grips they did at Dicks when they worked there. Its way more than people think.

Here is what I’ll say, I regripped tons of clubs when I worked there one night a week.

I’ve seen it all too. Really fresh looking grips to grips that looked really rough. I was Lucky enough to be a tester for this grip and can say the process is much easier than I was accustomed to.

Would these make me change grips more often? Probably not, as I am pretty religious to keeping fresh grips on anyway, but would I do them myself now? Sure.

The only thing I wasn’t a fan of was the thick white line at the top of the grip. I’d prefer a solid color, but it’s only cosmetic.

you really had to turn it quite a bit and then twist the grip as well. If you are going to do a full set you will likely need some gloves.

I didn't do all 3 grips at one time (arthritis in my hands) so I didn't experience this but can see it being an issue.

This may have been mentioned but what about sizes? Are there options beyond standard? I use jumbo grips and would not want to go back to the standard size grip.

Only standard.

Summary – Concept Helix really works and has the potential to change how grips are bought and used. It behaves just like a grip attached with tape and solvent – until you have to change the grip. Then it’s crazily easier. The process is very simple. Working with tape wraps complicates the process. It has the potential to be a platform for multiple models. Offering shot sensor tracker compatibility in a broader selection of models and a few more diameter options would greatly increase the market potential.

I was fortunate to be among the THPers selected to test this product, and Concept Helix has the potential to be a game changer.

I had a few discussions with the GP tech rep during my evaluation. I took away a few things from them:

• Consider the grips we evaluated to be “proof of concept.”
  • So we may see variations going forward, potentially including
    • Ability to attach shot tracking sensors
    • More options in grip diameters to minimize tape wraps
    • Different styles of grips
    • These grips will behave somewhere between standard and midsize
    • If you choose to add wraps, use standard masking tape instead of painter’s tape. The latter has a waxy coating that will not work as well.

I have changed grips, using both air and solvent, and it’s not one of my favorite things to do, especially with solvent.

I play standard grips with two wraps of tape, so I tried to do the same on my graphite driver and 4h shafts, and my steel shafted sand wedge. My wedge had the Ping Dylawedge grip, so I attempted to add tape at the bottom to simulate a +4 configuration similar to the Dylawedge.

As others have noted, the hardest part was removing the old grip tape. A combination of hot air, rubbing alcohol, grip solvent, and effort took care of them. I had no issues installing the wedge grip over two layers of tape and more at the bottom. The driver was the most difficult – I saw the “bunching” others observed and it took several attempts to get it on the shaft to the point I was happy with it - and I could do only one wrap on that club. The hybrid install (one wrap) was between the other two in terms of difficulty. The tightening with the horn was not difficult, and the grip feels as secure as any I have ever played with. I have about nine rounds, inside and out, on these grips and I have never felt any hint of slippage. I’m a chemical guy and would have thought there would be a difference between tape and the mechanical approach, but I could detect none. I haven't had to tighten the grips once since installation. They play like any other grips I have used. I don't plan to remove them until they need to be replaced. Of course, I prefer a rubber grip, so these fit my preferences more closely than those of other testers. I noticed no difference in my shot flight with these clubs. Maybe I’m not nearly as sensitive to grip weights and diameters as I thought.

Once installed, removal and re-installation is a piece of cake.

I personally would redesign the horn to make it more of a giant wingnut. That would facilitate tightening and loosening. Also, if you lose the horn . . . .

I would play these, especially at the price point, if they offered sensor compatibility and more model options.

Summary – Concept Helix really works and has the potential to change how grips are bought and used. It behaves just like a grip attached with tape and solvent – until you have to change the grip. Then it’s crazily easier. The process is very simple. Working with tape wraps complicates the process. It has the potential to be a platform for multiple models. Offering shot sensor tracker compatibility in a broader selection of models and a few more diameter options would greatly increase the market potential.

I was fortunate to be among the THPers selected to test this product, and Concept Helix has the potential to be a game changer.

I had a few discussions with the GP tech rep during my evaluation. I took away a few things from them:

• Consider the grips we evaluated to be “proof of concept.”
  • So we maysee variations going forward, potentially including
    • Ability to attach shot tracking sensors
    • More options in grip diameters to minimize tape wraps
    • Different styles of grips
    • These grips will behave somewhere between standard and midsize
    • If you choose to add wraps, use standard masking tape instead of painter’s tape. The latter has a waxy coating that will not work as well.

I have changed grips, using both air and solvent, and it’s not one of my favorite things to do, especially with solvent.

I play standard grips with two wraps of tape, so I tried to do the same on my graphite driver and 4h shafts, and my steel shafted sand wedge. My wedge had the Ping Dylawedge grip, so I attempted to add tape at the bottom to simulate a +4 configuration similar to the Dylawedge.

As others have noted, the hardest part was removing the old grip tape. A combination of hot air, rubbing alcohol, grip solvent, and effort took care of them. I had no issues installing the wedge grip over two layers of tape and more at the bottom. The driver was the most difficult – I saw the “bunching” others observed and it took several attempts to get it on the shaft to the point I was happy with it - and I could do only one wrap on that club. The hybrid install (one wrap) was between the other two in terms of difficulty. The tightening with the horn was not difficult, and the grip feels as secure as any I have ever played with. I have about nine rounds, inside and out, on these grips and I have never felt any hint of slippage. I’m a chemical guy and would have thought there would be a difference between tape and the mechanical approach, but I could detect none. I haven't had to tighten the grips once since installation. They play like any other grips I have used. I don't plan to remove them until they need to be replaced. Of course, I prefer a rubber grip, so these fit my preferences more closely than those of other testers. I noticed no difference in my shot flight with these clubs. Maybe I’m not nearly as sensitive to grip weights and diameters as I thought.

Once installed, removal and re-installation is a piece of cake.

I personally would redesign the horn to make it more of a giant wingnut. That would facilitate tightening and loosening. Also, if you lose the horn . . . .

I would play these, especially at the price point, if they offered sensor compatibility and more model options.
Great recap!!

You know, I was wrestling with these questions myself. I think someone who plays a lot of always likes new grips will love this. I also think it’s hugely beneficial for that one club that wears out faster than the rest of the set (hi, driver) and this can be a stand in until you have to do the full set. It’s not ready for a mass takeover of the whole world but it could get there in a short time.

You know, I was wrestling with these questions myself. I think someone who plays a lot of always likes new grips will love this. I also think it’s hugely beneficial for that one club that wears out faster than the rest of the set (hi, driver) and this can be a stand in until you have to do the full set. It’s not ready for a mass takeover of the whole world but it could get there in a short time.
This exactly, I put it on my 50* because I use it so much and want to see the durability. So far so good after probably 15 rounds or so.

For me it's more like... velcro vs laces.. There's something incredibly comforting in knowing the grip is totally glued.

Join the "velcro" movement

Another area that is overlooked is the person that likes different grips based on weather, but doesnt want to change every 6 months.

Another area that is overlooked is the person that likes different grips based on weather, but doesnt want to change every 6 months.
Oh snap - that could be perfect. Never even thought of that

That's very interesting. I may go back and try that.
If you promise not to tell, I did one install where I cleaned everything off and one install where I left most of the old tape. Both are holding strong so far but I’m still nervous about the one with the tape

At 66g these are not light, will need to get a pack of lead tape to get the swing weight back.

I was lucky enough to get an early look at these grips thanks to Golf Pride and THP. A little background on me; I currently play Superstroke Comfort Cross grips +2 and have never changed my own grips.

Removal of the "traditional" grips and installation of the Concept Helix went very smooth. In fact, it was so straight forward that I was sure I was missing something. As @Molten mentioned in his write up, you can install these while sitting on the couch with no mess, and that's exactly what I did. The instructional videos were helpful and only took me a couple minutes per grip once I got the hang of it. I did not experience any bunching during the installation process (I have them on both graphite and steel shafts for reference). One thing I did struggle with was removing the Horn from the bottom of the grip after installation, but that could be more user error than design.

On the course, these felt nice in hand and performed as anticipated. I have used GP's Tour Velvet in the past and enjoyed them fine, but appreciated the added texture the Concept Helix offers. I did experience some twisting or loosening of the grip during play, but a quick twist and I was good to go.

I'll add more thoughts on these as I go, but at first pass it seems like Golf Pride has something here. These could be a great option for people like me who don't do regripping themselves or as @JB mentioned, want different grip options based on the weather conditions.

I'm of the old school camp that will continue to do it the old fashioned way ... grip tape, solvent & my bench.
Nice idea but I'm not sure there will be enough of a selection in grips for the foreseeable future.

I'm of the old school camp that will continue to do it the old fashioned way ... grip tape, solvent & my bench.
Nice idea but I'm not sure there will be enough of a selection in grips for the foreseeable future.
Yeah, no idea what the timeline on expansion is and I’ll likely be forced to use the old method for a while but once I can make the switch without any compromise, I will.

Certainly will be interesting to see how they do. Seems very niche to me. But I've been wrong many times before.

I too was one of the lucky participants to demo these grips.
I have been doing club work for about 20 years and have changed too many grips to count. I have done installations with both Solvent and air. The grip removal process was no issue for me, any stubborn tape is quickly removed with a quick hit from the heat gun to soften the bond.

The 3 clubs I chose were Driver, Hybrid and 7 iron. Three clubs I use consistently throughout the round.

After watching the install instructions the first club I attempted to install the grip on took several minutes. I then went through the removal process and that took half the time. After I completed the first grip and was comfortable with the entire process, the remaining two grips took about a minute a piece to complete the installation. I came away very impressed with the design and technology behind the Concept Helix. As far as the look and feel of the grip, I thought the pattern was very similar to the Tour Velvet when completely installed. The feel was on the softer firm side, with enough tack to instill confidence. A few "test swings" in the yard and confirmed for me that the grip would hold in place with no slipping or twisting. I was able to get multiple test rounds in, a couple were in the rain and was very pleased with the performance of the grip overall.

A highlight of the versatility of the install. During one round, my Brother in Law inquired about the grip, he has arthritic hands and uses Jumbo grips. He picked the club up and stated "he liked the feel, too bad it wasn't bigger". I told him to hold on, popped the grip off, left it a bit shorter than the original install, then twisted it down to make it a larger diameter. Locked it in place and let him swing away. He liked how it felt during the swing, then he and our playing partners joked that I changed the grip like it was a NASCAR pit crew changing a tire. (Not that it would be normal or permitted to do that during a round, but it leads credence to the lack of time it takes to change the grip).

The only negative that I experienced has already been brought up. The task of twisting the grip to secure it does take a toll on your hands. Although minor, it would not keep me from utilizing these grips in any way.

Overall, I am impressed with this concept for changing/maintaining grips. Is it for everyone .... probably not. But it does provide an easy method for anyone to change grips. With the price point where it is, it is a very affordable method to do so as well by yourself. Since this is new technology, I look forward to seeing what other styles of grip textures and colors might be introduced.

Back