Golf Pride Concept Helix Grips

If you promise not to tell, I did one install where I cleaned everything off and one install where I left most of the old tape. Both are holding strong so far but I’m still nervous about the one with the tape
You should try taking it off and letting us know if easy or not. I'm thinking it could be an issue depending on the amount of use and the heat you have played in

These are very interesting. I can see the value for those that change grips frequently. I wish they came in align and hope they have a spot to attach club tracker tags

These are very interesting. I can see the value for those that change grips frequently. I wish they came in align and hope they have a spot to attach club tracker tags
Not sure if they could do align in this, with how you have to twist the grips on...

It would definitely be complicated! :ROFLMAO:
Haha yes it would. I did have the same thought, and they'd almost have to tell you how many clicks to turn to get it to align. It could be done, but lots of frustration on install, IMO.

If you promise not to tell, I did one install where I cleaned everything off and one install where I left most of the old tape. Both are holding strong so far but I’m still nervous about the one with the tape

Interested to see how this turns out too.

First off, great writeup Molten and the feedback here so far has been excellent!

I regrip my entire bag usually at least once a year. Sometimes more if I'm messing around with something like a non-corded grip, midsize, etc. I don't think I fall into the early adopters bucket for something like this but like seeing some innovation here and looking forward to seeing how this evolves over time, hopefully with more grip types & sizes. I think the price point here is a good choice as well considering some of Golfpride's MCC line sell for more per unit.

Congrats to Golf Pride for coming up with a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.

I want to echo what others have said. Excellent write up from @Molten!

Congrats to Golf Pride for coming up with a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.

There are thousands of golfers that change grips each year and would love the opportunity to do it themselves, yet don't want to invest in the materials to do so. This gives that to them.

There are thousands of golfers that change grips each year and would love the opportunity to do it themselves, yet don't want to invest in the materials to do so. This gives that to them.

Not sure a roll of tape and a bottle of solvent is much investment. I suspect most don’t do it themselves because they can’t be bothered. Not sure this device is gonna change that mindset in most personally.

Its more than people think, but if people didnt have to deal with tools necessary, it would definitely increase.
I know @JDax and @e1iterate can give an estimate in how many grips they did at Dicks when they worked there. Its way more than people think.
This is absolutely correct, the vast majority of service work I did while I worked there 1 night a week for several years, was regripping clubs.

Not sure a roll of tape and a bottle of solvent is much investment. I suspect most don’t do it themselves because they can’t be bothered. Not sure this device is gonna change that mindset in most personally.

And a place to hold it, etc etc. Making a simple, affordable and completely clean option for people doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Right out of the box, I was very impressed with the helix grip and the technology Golf Pride packed into it. It truly is a cool concept and I think a lot of people will like it.

The utility here, as others have mentioned, is not the first installation. You still need to cut off old grips and remove the tape. This was my first time ever doing that, and boy I found that process to be tedious. Once removed, my first install did not go very smoothly. I don't think I realized how much torque to put into the "twisting method" of tightening the grip, so I had loose pockets. I spent so much time trying to tighten the grip my hand actually got pretty raw. I was admittedly frustrated.

BUT Golf Pride asked you to remove the grip and re-install. THAT's where you see the massive benefit. Tape gone and experience with the process: Boom--next install went very quickly. And I didn't have any issue tightening the grip this time around (same grip, same club). I actually remember saying out loud, "oh, this IS easy," haha.

Once installed, the grip has a very nice feel to it. Not too soft, not too firm, and definitely tacky. The grip feels a little thicker than standard but not by much.

On the course, the helix grip got most work on my gap wedge, which I use a ton--full swings, pitching, and chipping. The grip felt great, and with the colder temps I had to play in, I was especially grateful for the extra tackiness. While I was only able to get a couple rounds in, I used clubs with the helix grip probably two dozen times per round. And I had no issue with the grip becoming loose. It performed very well.

Overall, I am impressed with Golf Pride's new Helix concept. It is very clever, and the grip itself is quite nice. I don't think I'm ready to move on from my beloved MCCs, and with the little amount my shop charges me to change grips ($1.50/grip), I'm not sure whether any cost-savings would move me over to Helix full-time yet. But it was really cool to be able to change grips with no prior experience--especially without screwing them up. I could definitely see myself switching over eventually.
$1.50 per grip for installation is a great deal, at Dick’s we charged $2.99 per grip installation.

I also was one of the people that tested this product out, and walked away impressed with how easy it was to do.

As @e1iterate & @JB can attest, I’m a religious regripper of my clubs. I’ve done so many grips over the years working at Dick’s, I have no issues with regripping the old school way, and will probably continue to do such (I play the MCC +4 Align grips, so they probably can’t produce my grip with Helix Tech).

I concur with the other feedback, getting the shaft cleaned up for install is harder than installing this grip.

This is a cool concept and much cleaner than tape and solvent. Definitely worth taking a look at if the price is right.

I'm of the old school camp that will continue to do it the old fashioned way ... grip tape, solvent & my bench.
Nice idea but I'm not sure there will be enough of a selection in grips for the foreseeable future.
So you're the guy that's still using a pencil and paper to do your calculations? You know of this thing called Excel or even a calculator? You have my permission to put your abacus in a closet.... ;):D

So you're the guy that's still using a pencil and paper to do your calculations? You know of this thing called Excel or even a calculator? You have my permission to put your abacus in a closet.... ;):D

The abacus is old reliable .... can't put that away. :ROFLMAO:

I was one of the testers as well. I will not go through my entire experience with the install process because it's pretty similar to what others have said.

The most time consuming part was getting the grip tape removed. Once the grip tape is removed, putting on and taking off the grip is very easy. I have never been one to regrip myself, and I would not hesitate to put these on my clubs if they offered cord grips. That being said, I have been playing the Helix grips on a driving iron, wedge, and fairway wood with no issues with how the grips have performed in warm, humid conditions.

I play with two extra wraps on my grips and the Helix feels about the same thickness. This is purely a guess.

This is a really cool idea and a means to get some folks into doing their own club work with minimal tools/space requirements. And at ten bucks per grip, this is quite budget friendly! I do wonder though what the technology is that's keeping the grip on - I surmise that it's like the boa laces system and it's akin to a constrictor torquing down around the shaft.

With the difference between traditionally installed grips and this offering, (adhesion & friction vs. mechanical compression) I am curious to know if there is any appreciable difference in stress imparted on the golf shaft. And if there is, how does that impact the original design of the shaft bend profile or EI curve.

I'm also in the group who very much likes shot data, and noticed that these grips don't have any way of attaching the necessary devices. Maybe this is something that could be accommodated in future releases though. Could be as simple as drilling a hole in the centre of the tightening mechanism. And lastly, I'd like to see other grip type offerings; I play the MCC+4.

Great reviews all around from the many testers! Great to see so many first time regrippers!

This is a really cool idea and a means to get some folks into doing their own club work with minimal tools/space requirements. And at ten bucks per grip, this is quite budget friendly! I do wonder though what the technology is that's keeping the grip on - I surmise that it's like the boa laces system and it's akin to a constrictor torquing down around the shaft.

With the difference between traditionally installed grips and this offering, (adhesion & friction vs. mechanical compression) I am curious to know if there is any appreciable difference in stress imparted on the golf shaft. And if there is, how does that impact the original design of the shaft bend profile or EI curve.

I'm also in the group who very much likes shot data, and noticed that these grips don't have any way of attaching the necessary devices. Maybe this is something that could be accommodated in future releases though. Could be as simple as drilling a hole in the centre of the tightening mechanism. And lastly, I'd like to see other grip type offerings; I play the MCC+4.

Great reviews all around from the many testers! Great to see so many first time regrippers!
I don't have a technical answer to the bolded section, but I can tell you there was no discernible difference in feel while loading the shaft or at impact. It felt like any other GP grip with similar texture. I'd be surprised if there was a discernible difference, but after learning that paint affects ball performance, I'm sure my non scientific opinion means nothing. :ROFLMAO:

Nice review @Molten! Getting grips done can be a hassle but this looks to be a complete game changer. When you guys are twisting the grip to where it will not move is it completely aligned when you are done?

I didn't have any issues aligning the grips when twisting. There's nothing really to align.

I was one of the testers as well. I will not go through my entire experience with the install process because it's pretty similar to what others have said.

The most time consuming part was getting the grip tape removed. Once the grip tape is removed, putting on and taking off the grip is very easy. I have never been one to regrip myself, and I would not hesitate to put these on my clubs if they offered cord grips. That being said, I have been playing the Helix grips on a driving iron, wedge, and fairway wood with no issues with how the grips have performed in warm, humid conditions.

I play with two extra wraps on my grips and the Helix feels about the same thickness. This is purely a guess.

In my hands they definitely feel like a size between standard and midsize, and if anything leaning closer towards midsize.

I have changed grips many times and really have no problem with doing it the normal way. Having said that, this new tech is outstanding and may just be the thing that woos me away from my Lamkin fanboy status

Back