Golf Pride Concept Helix Grips

Will be interesting to see how club pros and club builders react to this technology, since this could take grip sales and installation away from them.

Anyone think this will become so popular that it becomes an option with any OEM?

What I like most about this concept is being able to change grips to match the conditions. I'd be willing to swap my grips regularly if this was possible.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Disappointing to read about this today and not be able to walk into to store to buy yet. I’m respectable at changing grips, but i still wince at the 13 clubs staring at me that need new grips to be ready for winter golf. I would likely change grips several times a season with a system this simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@J.B. Cobb III you will be happy to know it sits in the corner still in its original condition, VINTAGE grip and all

that white ring around the top is....aggressive

Gosh, not sure where to begin on this one.

I was part of the test group.
I won't go through the step by steps since people have detailed that out already.

Here were my observations I relayed to Golf Pride:

Cons:
1) Removal of the shaft label - for those that like to tinker, buy and swap shafts etc, the shaft label can be a source of proving a shaft is legit. So I was reluctant to remove the label but did so for the test. For the shaft ho crowd I could see this being a big turnoff.

2) Time - Following the videos, not counting the old grip removal time, it took me 14 min. 2nd attempt was more like 4 min.

3) Overall weight. 66g. My gamer grips (Tour Velvet Align std are 51-52g).

4) Swing weight impact - being 15g heavier than a normal std sized grip, reduced the swing weight of the club but about 3 pts. Given I tend to play shortened clubs I need more swing weight, not less.

5) Size - Out of the box, I figured they must have different size options. And maybe they do. I took a look at them and thought these must be the Bryson Jumbomax version. Compared to a std grip about 2" down from the butt end these are 1/8" larger. So perhaps a midsize to jumbo sized grip. I have very small hands and should play undersized grips. So not and ideal fit for me.

6) Taper - they seem to have less taper than a std grip too. You can see in my pics below how thick they are at the head end of the grip.

7) Install process - good lord...where do I begin. After the first install my forearms were on fire. I installed the grip in my basement which is always about 60* down there. By the end of the first grip I had a full body lather going from all of the twisting. I found twisting the bottom and mid part of the grip by hand to be extremely tough to do to get it fully tightened. The first time I didn't go enough and could feel the grip twisting on the shaft. Also I did not like having to hold the club head with my feet to ensure it does not twist. With my iron, no big deal but putting that much torque on a driver head felt like I was going to snap the head off the club. Way, way, way too much effort involved here to install I thought. No way my wife would have the strength to install these.

I'd much rather install grips the normal way. The only way this would work for me is if the horn would tighten the grip fully. Meaning no need to twist the grip by hand to tighten the lower and mid part of the grip.

8) Not compatible with tracking tags - I use Shot Scope to track my game and you cannot screw tags within the butt end. So these would be a non starter for me based on that.

Pros:
1) Grip feel - I did like the pattern and feel of the grip. Sort of like a softer Tour Velvet.

2) Looks- it's not a bad looking grip and looked premium to my eye. I thought the version they were sending me might be a rough prototype but it wasn't. It was definitely a store ready look.

Maybe my thoughts are biased because I do not mind regripping clubs the traditional way but I thought this concept was an epic fail.

If anyone would like to try these, please PM me. I have the 3 grips and horn.

37FBED39-91ED-470E-9365-A76316168049.jpeg1080E186-4EC1-4DAE-9961-F49FFB4854B3.jpeg5884E7DD-D7AC-4783-BDBA-0AB370C3D82A.jpegC1B4B311-8BDD-41C9-8239-E165049514B1.jpeg

Will be interesting to see how club pros and club builders react to this technology, since this could take grip sales and installation away from them.
Builders perhaps. But I thought this might be a good concept for club fitters. Especially if they come out with different sizes for fitting purposes.

I won't go through the step by steps since people have detailed that out already.

Cons:
1) Removal of the shaft label - for those that like to tinker, buy and swap shafts etc, the shaft label can be a source of proving a shaft is legit. So I was reluctant to remove the label but did so for the test. For the shaft ho crowd I could see this being a big turnoff.

2) Time - Following the videos, not counting the old grip removal time, it took me 14 min. 2nd attempt was more like 4 min.

4) Swing weight impact - being 15g heavier than a normal std sized grip, reduced the swing weight of the club but about 3 pts. Given I tend to play shortened clubs I need more swing weight, not less.

5) Size - Out of the box, I figured they must have different size options. And maybe they do. I took a look at them and thought these must be the Bryson Jumbomax version. Compared to a std grip about 2" down from the butt end these are 1/8" larger. So perhaps a midsize to jumbo sized grip. I have very small hands and should play undersized grips. So not and ideal fit for me.

6) Taper - they seem to have less taper than a std grip too. You can see in my pics below how thick they are at the head end of the grip.

7) Install process - good lord...where do I begin. After the first install my forearms were on fire. I installed the grip in my basement which is always about 60* down there. By the end of the first grip I had a full body lather going from all of the twisting. I found twisting the bottom and mid part of the grip by hand to be extremely tough to do to get it fully tightened. The first time I didn't go enough and could feel the grip twisting on the shaft. Also I did not like having to hold the club head with my feet to ensure it does not twist. With my iron, no big deal but putting that much torque on a driver head felt like I was going to snap the head off the club. Way, way, way too much effort involved here to install I thought. No way my wife would have the strength to install these.

I'd much rather install grips the normal way. The only way this would work for me is if the horn would tighten the grip fully. Meaning no need to twist the grip by hand to tighten the lower and mid part of the grip.

8) Not compatible with tracking tags - I use Shot Scope to track my game and you cannot screw tags within the butt end. So these would be a non starter for me based on that.

Pros:
1) Grip feel - I did like the pattern and feel of the grip. Sort of like a softer Tour Velvet.

2) Looks- it's not a bad looking grip and looked premium to my eye. I thought the version they were sending me might be a rough prototype but it wasn't. It was definitely a store ready look.

Maybe my thoughts are biased because I do not mind regripping clubs the traditional way but I thought this concept was an epic fail.

View attachment 8977227View attachment 8977228View attachment 8977229View attachment 8977230

Good writeup and analysis. As with anu other product, they won't be for everybody and you indicated why they aren't for you.

Cons:

Im confused, why did you have to touch any labels on the shaft to install these grips?

Im confused, why did you have to touch any labels on the shaft to install these grips?
Under the grips are usually oem shaft labels..especially on graphite shafts. Golf Pride recommends all grip tape and any shaft labels under the grip need to be removed so that its a bare shaft for proper install.

Cons:

Pros:

View attachment 8977227View attachment 8977228View attachment 8977229View attachment 8977230
Good review. Yes the burn was real turning them so many times.

Maybe I am just out of shape ;)

Convinced me - there is no easy way to re-shaft.:eek:

My clubmaker was telling me how much time it took to properly install an Align Grip and getting the rib perfectly down the shaft. He is OCD so it took forever and he charged appropriately.

No ribs/align for me....:D

So the red piece expands the grip and allows it to slide on, then it look likes theres a split so you kind of pry it off, flip it over to the top and use the other side to tighten the grip?

Really awesome concept, will definitely make grip changing easier for people who cant/don't do it themselves

Cons:

Pros:

That is a heavy grip. Not surprising. Wonder if they can cut that down a bit in the future. Would be a pretty significant impact on swing weight. Not that it's the end all be all measurement or anything. I would consider throwing one on as a test when they're available. I prefer cord grips. But, I like cool new golf stuff so I think I will at least give it a whirl. Won't be a long term thing because I have no plans on stopping my use of Shot Scope.

Convinced me - there is no easy way to re-shaft.:eek:

My clubmaker was telling me how much time it took to properly install an Align Grip and getting the rib perfectly down the shaft. He is OCD so it took forever and he charged appropriately.

No ribs/align for me....:D
The aligns can be tricky. Secret there is extra solvent. Then just run a ruler to make sure it’s relatively straight. I’ve learned not to be so anal about it as after a few swings the rib tends to move slightly anyway so even if perfect it won’t stay there long. Not talking grossly off. But usually you can see a slight wrinkle in it.

So the red piece expands the grip and allows it to slide on, then it look likes theres a split so you kind of pry it off, flip it over to the top and use the other side to tighten the grip?

Really awesome concept, will definitely make grip changing easier for people who cant/don't do it themselves
Yup that’s the concept

here’s the install videos.

Yep you nailed it. I’ve never changed my own grips before and found the process to be incredibly easy to follow and complete (aside from some hand soreness of twisting 3 grips on in a row haha)

That is all correct, it is also used to remove the Helix grip if you want to change them. Loosen the top all the way then slide the horn under the bottom and pull up, the grip slides right off.

I really like this concept. These grips are about 16 grams heavier that regular tour velvets. How this will affect swingweight?

Back