Using One Length Irons and More

I can't say yet, but I would say to pay attention to THP coming up soon.
I like where this is headed. Hey @OITW looks like another OL ponder is coming soon to add to your growing interest!

I came pretty close to going OL for the Morgan Cup but didn't because I couldn't wrap my head around the wedges being the length of a 7 iron. Now, I want to dip my toe in the water but don't want to drop the cash for a whole set. For those of you playing OL, what single club would you recommend for experimenting with the concept?
Agreed with the others, 9 is good, 8 would also work. I would recommend against a 5 as a singular test club because 1) it's still tough because people tend to overswing it and 2) if you get caught up in ball flight at all, it's going to look different enough to spook you.

The 8/9/PW seem to be easier to "trust" from a mental standpoint, and for some (at least myself), those end up being our favorite clubs in the bag.

This episode is going to make me go grab a used Cobra driver to replace my current 3W.

32 yards, 33 yards, 32 yards and 32 yards.
I was pretty astonished.

I may be behind as I haven't listened to the podcast yet - but are you seeing this on the long irons too? I know that was the knock on the earlier OL sets - the long irons launched low. Know that's something Cobra's addressed but interesting to see the data there.

I may be behind as I haven't listened to the podcast yet - but are you seeing this on the long irons too? I know that was the knock on the earlier OL sets - the long irons launched low. Know that's something Cobra's addressed but interesting to see the data there.

Completely. I will have more later on a round I am doing right now. See the next post.

So @JDax and I are playing a round of Sim Golf in the Tech Studio. We are playing from 5000 yards and irons only.
We must use OL set (5-GW) on every shot.

This is about as excited I've seen @JB about a club in the almost 2 years I've been here.

So @JDax and I are playing a round of Sim Golf in the Tech Studio. We are playing from 5000 yards and irons only.
We must use OL set (5-GW) on every shot.

Very interesting. I am curious. What is the major push for you to dive into one length and commit for a year? You may have said during the pod and I just remember..

I was pretty astonished.
How does that compare to your VL PW? Relatively the same?

Very interesting. I am curious. What is the major push for you to dive into one length and commit for a year? You may have said during the pod and I just remember..

I think the tech is there. Plus I believe a single swing for irons for a flawed swinger, has more potential for greater frequency of solid shots.

Agreed with the others, 9 is good, 8 would also work. I would recommend against a 5 as a singular test club because 1) it's still tough because people tend to overswing it and 2) if you get caught up in ball flight at all, it's going to look different enough to spook you.

The 8/9/PW seem to be easier to "trust" from a mental standpoint, and for some (at least myself), those end up being our favorite clubs in the bag.

Overswing a 5? I'm your man. I'm going to grab a 9 to see how it goes. Our weather here will be pretty iffy for the next couple of months so this will be a somewhat drawn out experiment.

I think the tech is there. Plus I believe a single swing for irons for a flawed swinger, has more potential for greater frequency of solid shots.

(y)(y).. I am curious to see your results..

I was pretty astonished.

Was going to follow up but MP beat me too it i’m very curious now

Has anyone here compared the Cobra OL hybrids between each other? My question for those who’ve used them: how’s the gapping between them for you?

I’ve got a set of 5+ irons on the way. I’m really enjoying the 4 HY and am considering picking up the 3 HY as well, but haven’t seen much mentioned in terms of gapping between the hybrids, specifically.

Has anyone here compared the Cobra OL hybrids between each other? My question for those who’ve used them: how’s the gapping between them for you?

I’ve got a set of 5+ irons on the way. I’m really enjoying the 4 HY and am considering picking up the 3 HY as well, but haven’t seen much mentioned in terms of gapping between the hybrids, specifically.

I tested out the 3 and 4 from the F9 lineup and saw the gapping I expected to see. Have not hit the OL hybrids from this year's set or next.

I have had a terrible time with the OL hybrids. I wish it weren’t the case and I am sure it is me and not the clubs. Distance-wise, I hit the 4h fine but switched to a OL 4i because I hit it roughly the same distance but straighter. The OL 3h I actually hit shorter than the OL 4h. I haven’t given up on them forever, but they are not currently in my bag. When I was playing with Jose from Cobra, he suggested I get a standard length 2h or a 5w to replace the OL 3h and keep playing my OL 4i.

I have talked to a few people that really like the OL hybrids, so it is very player specific on what works for the individual.

I just shot the best round I have ever shot on the Tech Studio Sim- 73.6 .

Impressed with the OL. My hypothetical Morgan Cup bag would be a OL set up.

Going to a second round. @JDax beat me by 2 strokes and we are only using irons and a single wedge (also OL).
This time from 5565 yards.

If @JDax is not using one length next season He needs his head examined

Hmm, I haven't hit my fw wood in at least 7 rounds, home course just doesn't require it. Interesting discussion. I've played courses where I need a 280 yard limit on tee shots but that's not common. If I could find the right utility or 2h I could probably drop it easy.

I hit FW woods all the time but frankly I play tees at my home course that are long for how far I hit the ball. I hit 3w or 5w at least 3-6 times a round. Certainly more than my 5i. I love the concept of the second "safety" driver but I think that is for someone that is much longer than I am.

Can't wait for the time when more details can be shared on these.

I just shot the best round I have ever shot on the Tech Studio Sim- 73.6 .

Impressed with the OL. My hypothetical Morgan Cup bag would be a OL set up.
Going to a second round. @JDax beat me by 2 strokes and we are only using irons and a single wedge (also OL).
This time from 5565 yards.

Interesting.

With a 9 iron length can you get 5 iron distance? I could bridge to fairways at that point.

Regarding FWs are they all the same length or are they variable. Right now I play 3W, 5W and am thinking about 7W.

I listened to the podcast and if I remember correctly you went 7i length then wedges all the same length but shorter is that correct?

Back