Using One Length Irons and More

With a 9 iron length can you get 5 iron distance? I could bridge to fairways at that point.

Regarding FWs are they all the same length or are they variable. Right now I play 3W, 5W and am thinking about 7W.

I listened to the podcast and if I remember correctly you went 7i length then wedges all the same length but shorter is that correct?
I’m playing mine at eight iron length not nine iron. But we’re having no trouble getting the correct capping and distances.

I don’t play fairway woods but they would be traditional length

Silly question, but I have F9 One lengths and have been thinking changing them to 8 iron length. Any issues with shortening them vs VL clubs? Was hoping to just go to a local place, but not sure if they've adjusted OL clubs before (like swing weights or something).

Silly question, but I have F9 One lengths and have been thinking changing them to 8 iron length. Any issues with shortening them vs VL clubs? Was hoping to just go to a local place, but not sure if they've adjusted OL clubs before (like swing weights or something).

That's a good question.

That's a good question.

I would be interested in trying single length if the head was the right look. So far I have not found it. The MIM if they did that would be pretty close I think. I think the struggle would be the financial commitment to something I am unsure would work for me. Or rather most likely something I would "like" to commit to. I am sure that they would work over all.

I’m playing mine at eight iron length not nine iron. But we’re having no trouble getting the correct capping and distances.

I don’t play fairway woods but they would be traditional length

What about wedges?

hmmm, that is a good question.
I assume the swing weight would be a bit up and the lie angles may? need tweeking?

You could shorten them, but be careful with weight. I have not spent a lot of time with the F9, so not sure I can be a huge help here.

I would be interested in trying single length if the head was the right look. So far I have not found it. The MIM if they did that would be pretty close I think. I think the struggle would be the financial commitment to something I am unsure would work for me. Or rather most likely something I would "like" to commit to. I am sure that they would work over all.

It's not for everyone and as of now I don't believe they have any plans to launch a King Tour OL.

I'm very curious about the new iron though.

It's not for everyone and as of now I don't believe they have any plans to launch a King Tour OL.

I'm very curious about the new iron though.

I am sure it could be for everyone.. It just slightly outside the comfort zone. Then again, I have never really tried them out on a course or anything.. haha. Maybe a two length system??:unsure::unsure: But if you are going to do that what is the point?

I am sure it could be for everyone.. It just slightly outside the comfort zone. Then again, I have never really tried them out on a course or anything.. haha. Maybe a two length system??:unsure::unsure: But if you are going to do that what is the point?

You either want to experiment or you don't.

Some pretty good feedback on success stories here. I want to try it. In the pondering thread a few days ago I posted my 3 length setup

43.5" in all Woods
37.5'' in UT/Hybrid, Irons and Wedges 2 56* wedges one bent to 54 and one bent to 58
34" Putter - though I was thinking today while rolling putts, what if I got a 37.5" putter and went armlock LOL

I listened to the podcast and I really enjoyed the conversation between @JB and @Canadan

The fairway wood conversation felt like it was speaking to me. I lean on my 3w HEAVILY throughout my round. Off the tee or off the deck it gets used more than most I would venture to guess. From the fairway I am using it on par 5's or longer par 4's. I am fairly consistent with it, but I am an amateur golfer and will not hit it straight every time. I honestly don't know what I would do if I took it out of the bag.

You either want to experiment or you don't.

Some pretty good feedback on success stories here. I want to try it. In the pondering thread a few days ago I posted my 3 length setup

43.5" in all Woods
37.5'' in UT/Hybrid, Irons and Wedges 2 56* wedges one bent to 54 and one bent to 58
34" Putter - though I was thinking today while rolling putts, what if I got a 37.5" putter and went armlock LOL

Cant I just do little experiments? haha... I love to try new things and do it all the time. I am soo close to putting a 7 wood in my bag as part of an experiment. Irons are kind of a special category. They are something I truly enjoy and look forward to as part of my bag. It also represents the largest portion of the bag, largest commitment, and largest cost..

Cant I just do little experiments? haha... I love to try new things and do it all the time. I am soo close to putting a 7 wood in my bag as part of an experiment. Irons are kind of a special category. They are something I truly enjoy and look forward to as part of my bag. It also represents the largest portion, largest commitment and largest cost..

My post wasn't intended to come across heavy handed - I think from what others have said specific to OL that it's an all or nothing kind of experiment.

Golf is about FUN, play what makes it fun, experiment with what would make it fun.

PS I LOVE my 7w best change to the bag this year was a 7w

My post wasn't intended to come across heavy handed - I think from what others have said specific to OL that it's an all or nothing kind of experiment.

Golf is about FUN, play what makes it fun, experiment with what would make it fun.

PS I LOVE my 7w best change to the bag this year was a 7w

For sure.. Which is what makes me personally nervous.. It is a large commitment.. I want a 7 wood..

I listened to the podcast and I really enjoyed the conversation between @JB and @Canadan

The fairway wood conversation felt like it was speaking to me. I lean on my 3w HEAVILY throughout my round. Off the tee or off the deck it gets used more than most I would venture to guess. From the fairway I am using it on par 5's or longer par 4's. I am fairly consistent with it, but I am an amateur golfer and will not hit it straight every time. I honestly don't know what I would do if I took it out of the bag.
how often are you hitting fairway wood into par 4s after a good tee ball?

If you take the time to get the gapping right, One Length works!

how often are you hitting fairway wood into par 4s after a good tee ball?

Never. It's used on longer par 4's (not often) but mostly on par 5's

Never. It's used on longer par 4's (not often) but mostly on par 5's
I rarely convince myself to go for the green for that kind of distance on par 5s, but mostly because there's a lot of trouble around my greens.

Normally when I am that kind of distance out, I defer to the smart play and attack with a wedge for a good chance at birdie. Just a personal thing I guess.

I rarely convince myself to go for the green for that kind of distance on par 5s, but mostly because there's a lot of trouble around my greens.

Normally when I am that kind of distance out, I defer to the smart play and attack with a wedge for a good chance at birdie. Just a personal thing I guess.

I have a very similar mantra. If I am hitting into par 5s with a wood. I almost just consider myself too far out and layup.. The conditions have to be just right for me to decide to go for it.. There are those times but they really are pretty rare.

I have a very similar mantra. If I am hitting into par 5s with a wood. I almost just consider myself too far out and layup.. The conditions have to be just right for me to decide to go for it.. There are those times but they really are pretty rare.
I think that's the biggest argument for me. Why slot a club in the bag if it's barely used, and when used, is often in a risk/reward situation?

on par 5's its a 50/50 proposition to getting it there. My 3w is my 230-240 club (total) and at my course there isn't much trouble or penalty for giving it a try. I do play more cautiously if i know trouble is lurking.

I just like the thought that it's in the bag if needed. even if I am not as consistent as I would like.

I think that's the biggest argument for me. Why slot a club in the bag if it's barely used, and when used, is often in a risk/reward situation?

It is part of the reason for some serious consideration for a 7 wood. I think I would use the grooves off something like that.. Plus so much more versatile than a hybrid in my mind.

Back