Using One Length Irons and More

I have three MiM wedges at the same length of 35.75” and then 4-PW are the OL Forged Tec at 37.5” and then a tour length driver that is 44.5” and a slightly shorter 3w at 42.75”

Cobra said that it is more common to find people that play one length irons with a standard wedge setup than those that play with one length wedges. I read the threads with people playing one length throughout irons and wedges with great interest. I think I may try it one of these days.

When I looked today, I could get a black OL wedge in 56 or 60 and then I could bend up to two degrees so that covers 54-62 degrees. I really wish that there was one more wedge option in OL to stretch loft availability to 48-62 degrees.

Last edited:
I have a very similar mantra. If I am hitting into par 5s with a wood. I almost just consider myself too far out and layup.. The conditions have to be just right for me to decide to go for it.. There are those times but they really are pretty rare.
I think that's the biggest argument for me. Why slot a club in the bag if it's barely used, and when used, is often in a risk/reward situation?

7w was a savior for me this year, I had a good chunk of time where I was struggling mightily with my 4-6 irons. couldn't hit them further than 150 and more than 10 yards off the ground.

for that month and half when I had a forced carry or was just worried about advancing the ball 180-210 yards, I checked down into the 7w and yes I probably didn't hit as many greens as I would have if the other clubs were performing, but dammnit if I wasn't giving myself a chance at least and from a mental standpoint it was much less stressful.

7w was a savior for me this year, I had a good chunk of time where I was struggling mightily with my 4-6 irons. couldn't hit them further than 150 and more than 10 yards off the ground.

for that month and half when I had a forced carry or was just worried about advancing the ball 180-210 yards, I checked down into the 7w and yes I probably didn't hit as many greens as I would have if the other clubs were performing, but dammnit if I wasn't giving myself a chance at least and from a mental standpoint it was much less stressful.

Dustin Johnson put one in the bag. Worked out well for him..

My interest in OL is definitely piqued. Very curious to see what Cobra comes up with this year.

I know that feeling. I had the ability to take something off the 7wood and off the tee I was able to hit a high soft cut with it.

I just shot the best round I have ever shot on the Tech Studio Sim- 73.6 .

Impressed with the OL. My hypothetical Morgan Cup bag would be a OL set up.

Going to a second round. @JDax beat me by 2 strokes and we are only using irons and a single wedge (also OL).
This time from 5565 yards.

Two rounds in the 70s - that's a pretty strong argument.

how often are you hitting fairway wood into par 4s after a good tee ball?

There are 4-6 holes on my course (yardages of 450, 447, 445, 424, 440 and 411) that depending on the wind I need a fairway wood into the green after a good tee ball. I am about 230-240 off the tee on a good ball and can't really count on a carry of more than 215. Two of the holes have bunkers that are 225+ to carry from the back tees which I need to play around which stretch the holes.

I know that based on my length I "should" play shorter tees but my index bounces between 2.5 and 5 pretty consistently and the guys I play with are mostly longer than I am. I do realize I am a bit of an aberration though.

Does anyone think the OL could be incorporated into other OEM companies or is really just going to stay a Cobra specialization?

I like my OL irons, but I am looking to do a full bag changeover and hoping to go thru Club Champion to see their thoughts with a full fitting.

Reactions: JB
So after 45 holes with the One Length I am even more firmly in the camp of using this set this season than I was before. The irons themselves I will save some feedback on for when they come out, but both @JDax and i said they were between half and a full club longer than what we were used to playing.

Not a single gap issue anywhere and we played 5-GW and hit every club multiple times during the rounds. Thr long irons are rocket launchers and launch high, but were not crazy low spin, which we both talked about as we had no issue holding greens in the digital rounds.

I’m still seeing 11-12 yard gaps throughout my set which I really like and can position my hands in different spots to change that. We ended up using a 60 degree wedge to go along with this, but ironically it was longer than my one length set due to mine being built at 8 iron length. Didn’t really have trouble with that either but didn’t take any full swings with it.

Hope this helps.

I'd love to do some OL experiments, but I'm pretty sure I'd stop around 4i or so.... so many ponders for 2021~

So after 45 holes with the One Length I am even more firmly in the camp of using this set this season than I was before. The irons themselves I will save some feedback on for when they come out, but both @JDax and i said they were between half and a full club longer than what we were used to playing.

Not a single gap issue anywhere and we played 5-GW and hit every club multiple times during the rounds. Thr long irons are rocket launchers and launch high, but were not crazy low spin, which we both talked about as we had no issue holding greens in the digital rounds.

I’m still seeing 11-12 yard gaps throughout my set which I really like and can position my hands in different spots to change that. We ended up using a 60 degree wedge to go along with this, but ironically it was longer than my one length set due to mine being built at 8 iron length. Didn’t really have trouble with that either but didn’t take any full swings with it.

Hope this helps.

Very interesting..

I'd love to do some OL experiments, but I'm pretty sure I'd stop around 4i or so.... so many ponders for 2021~
I address this in the podcast. How some are viewing is as making long irons easier rather than 1 swing. If you get a chance give it a listen. Fun show.

I address this in the podcast. How some are viewing is as making long irons easier rather than 1 swing. If you get a chance give it a listen. Fun show.

Is there a new one or the one with @Candan about your journey with the OL experiment? I heard the one with Canadan (and agree with using the 8i length as the model rather than the 7i). It was a very fun show! I laughed out loud for sure when discussing the Chicago stuffed pizza slander :ROFLMAO:

Is there a new one or the one with @Candan about your journey with the OL experiment? I heard the one with Canadan (and agree with using the 8i length as the model rather than the 7i). It was a very fun show! I laughed out loud for sure when discussing the Chicago stuffed pizza slander :ROFLMAO:
That’s the one.

I bought a 5 and a 6 one length to go with my 7 with high hopes, but alas, it was not to be. Anybody in So. Cal that wants to try them is welcome (just collecting dust in my spare bag).

Hope this helps.
The Cobra *Redacted* OL Irons are really long, these heads are going to be rocket launchers in both variable length & OL.

If you are in the market for GI irons, be on the look out for this Cobra launch.

I do think that the 8 iron length is the way to go, because I didn’t see any distance or gapping issues through out the set 5-GW. The carry yardages were exactly what I would expect from my Apex Irons (even slightly longer).

The key thing to remember is to maintain the same ball position no matter what club you are hitting. I definitely could see myself in a OL set at some point. From you Morgan Cup hopefuls, don’t sleep on the OL irons.

I have three MiM wedges at the same length of 35.75” and then 4-PW are the OL Forged Tec at 37.5” and then a tour length driver that is 44.5” and a slightly shorter 3w at 42.75”

Cobra said that it is more common to find people that play one length irons with a standard wedge setup than those that play with one length wedges. I read the threads with people playing one length throughout irons and wedges with great interest. I think I may try it one of these days.

When I looked today, I could get a black OL wedge in 56 or 60 and then I could bend up to two degrees so that covers 54-62 degrees. I really wish that there was one more wedge option in OL to stretch loft availability to 48-62 degrees.
@JB and I discussed this today... I would play a OL 5-GW or 5-PW & then go variable length with a 54° & 58° or 50°, 54°, 58°.

The back 9 at Coeur d'Alene...

That's why we don't make the big bucks to play this game. I'm really intrigued by what I'm hearing about these though. Looking forward to finding out more about this mystery set once you can talk about them more.

The Cobra *Redacted* OL Irons are really long, these heads are going to be rocket launchers in both variable length & OL.

If you are in the market for GI irons, be on the look out for this Cobra launch.

I do think that the 8 iron length is the way to go, because I didn’t see any distance or gapping issues through out the set 5-GW. The carry yardages were exactly what I would expect from my Apex Irons (even slightly longer).

The key thing to remember is to maintain the same ball position no matter what club you are hitting. I definitely could see myself in a OL set at some point. From you Morgan Cup hopefuls, don’t sleep on the OL irons.
Interesting.

@JB and I discussed this today... I would play a OL 5-GW or 5-PW & then go variable length with a 54° & 58° or 50°, 54°, 58°.
What’s the reason behind going VL in wedges vs OL?

There are 4-6 holes on my course (yardages of 450, 447, 445, 424, 440 and 411) that depending on the wind I need a fairway wood into the green after a good tee ball. I am about 230-240 off the tee on a good ball and can't really count on a carry of more than 215. Two of the holes have bunkers that are 225+ to carry from the back tees which I need to play around which stretch the holes.

I know that based on my length I "should" play shorter tees but my index bounces between 2.5 and 5 pretty consistently and the guys I play with are mostly longer than I am. I do realize I am a bit of an aberration though.
How far are the tees you play, and why do you think you need to play the same tees as others?

Interesting.

What’s the reason behind going VL in wedges vs OL?
At first I wasn’t having an issue with the OL 60°, then I lost it. Mainly, because I wasn’t consistent with how much to grip down (this 60° was a 7 iron length and longer than JB’s iron set).

Also, I don’t think that I would be able to get comfortable in green side bunkers at the OL length.

At first I wasn’t having an issue with the OL 60°, then I lost it. Mainly, because I wasn’t consistent with how much to grip down (this 60° was a 7 iron length and longer than JB’s iron set).

Also, I don’t think that I would be able to get comfortable in green side bunkers at the OL length.
What?! I grooved that 60 degree perfectly when I was in the tech studio last.

....one on the equator and one on the button :ROFLMAO:

Back