Using One Length Irons and More

Silly question, but I have F9 One lengths and have been thinking changing them to 8 iron length. Any issues with shortening them vs VL clubs? Was hoping to just go to a local place, but not sure if they've adjusted OL clubs before (like swing weights or something).
Great Question... Maybe @Master Yagley could tell us the answer.

What?! I grooved that 60 degree perfectly when I was in the tech studio last.

....one on the equator and one on the button :ROFLMAO:
When are you coming back down? I’m ready for a rematch, now that there is a OL set in the Tech Studio.

Silly question, but I have F9 One lengths and have been thinking changing them to 8 iron length. Any issues with shortening them vs VL clubs? Was hoping to just go to a local place, but not sure if they've adjusted OL clubs before (like swing weights or something).
Compared to shortening VL clubs, I don't think so. Swing weight would be slightly different, but would stay consistent through the set. Lie angle may need to be tweaked slightly, but I would imagine it should be tweaked the same across the set too.

Also, consider the grip situation. If you remove Cobra Connect grips and replace with non-CC grips, that will take off 1/4" right there.

Last edited:
At first I wasn’t having an issue with the OL 60°, then I lost it. Mainly, because I wasn’t consistent with how much to grip down (this 60° was a 7 iron length and longer than JB’s iron set).

Also, I don’t think that I would be able to get comfortable in green side bunkers at the OL length.
That is a valid point, but now I’m very intrigued

You either want to experiment or you don't.

Some pretty good feedback on success stories here. I want to try it. In the pondering thread a few days ago I posted my 3 length setup

43.5" in all Woods
37.5'' in UT/Hybrid, Irons and Wedges 2 56* wedges one bent to 54 and one bent to 58
34" Putter - though I was thinking today while rolling putts, what if I got a 37.5" putter and went armlock LOL
I love this bag and you know why. I have definitely succeeded with it. Like @JB referenced about OL increasing the frequency of solid shots, that's absolutely what I've seen with the FWs

The other thing that I noticed, for you numbers guys out there, the launch angle, spin, ball speed, & decent angle data was in line with what we were expecting from that number iron.

The other thing that I noticed, for you numbers guys out there, the launch angle, spin, ball speed, & decent angle data was in line with what we were expecting from that number iron.

An 8i or throughout the set?

I love this bag and you know why. I have definitely succeeded with it. Like @JB referenced about OL increasing the frequency of solid shots, that's absolutely what I've seen with the FWs

Do you play 37.5” in the wedges?

That is a valid point, but now I’m very intrigued
There is a OL 4 hybrid on the way to the Tech Studio... 👀 I can’t wait to see how it gaps with this set.

My thoughts on the topic of green side chipping and bunker play (after about 3 years of OL)

1. If you're happy with your current wedge play, feel free to stick with it
2. If you are competent with your wedges, you'll get comfortable with the longer ones. Not instant, but the existing skill translates and you do gain comfort from consistent feel
3. If you are NOT competent with your wedges, then absolutely switch and it will help over time (this was me, now wedge play is the best part of my game)

My thoughts on the topic of green side chipping and bunker play (after about 3 years of OL)

2. If you are competent with your wedges, you'll get comfortable with the longer ones. Not instant, but the existing skill translates and you do gain comfort from consistent feel
3. If you are NOT competent with your wedges, then absolutely switch and it will help over time (this was me, now wedge play is the best part of my game)

thanks for the breakdown

My current bag for irons is 5-pw, 50, 54 and 58 degree wedges. I looked at OL clubs and just can't get comfortable looking down at the short irons. The question would be taking out a hybrid and putting in a OL 4 iron if I go that route.

I am exactly like Dustin Johnson, remember that :ROFLMAO:
You are right.. He won't accept my camping invitations either.

On a serious note, trying a one length set is on my strong ponder list. I struggle with my long irons at times and want to give a set of one length irons a go to see if they work for me.

Do you play 37.5” in the wedges?
Yes! Thoughts above but I'll elaborate on bag details for those unfamiliar.

I play 5i-GW set and 56/60 specialty wedges all at 37.5. I have gone through a few different chipping styles with them, mostly with success but always looking for more repeatability. Currently, I am using the same setup as full swings, and exact same swing mechanics, just varying the amount of backswing. Even with gentle green side chips, that just is maybe to 8:00 on the backswing clock.

I also play all my fairways at 43.25" which is half between Cobra F9 3w/5w stock lengths. I've found much better consistency of strike (or particularly, frequency of high quality strike). I do use them both off the tee and the deck pretty freely.

I will remind, this isn't magic, still gotta make a good swing, and I have some flaws which make that easy to falter. But, I do have full confidence regardless of what club is in my hand and I do see a much better success rate

On the bunker statement, of course, there isn’t a practice bunker in the Tech Studio, so I never hit it out of an actual bunker.

But I will say that the PW & GW from this set were easy to adjust to and I had no issues hitting them to the yardage I needed (even when I was taking some off).

On the bunker statement, of course, there isn’t a practice bunker in the Tech Studio, so I never hit it out of an actual bunker.

But I will say that the PW & GW from this set were easy to adjust to and I had no issues hitting them to the yardage I needed (even when I was taking some off).
That's awesome to hear. One thing I will add about bunkers- I strongly believe there is some extra flexibility with OL wedges. Once you're comfortable, it's easy to grip down if you want. But if you have a bad lie well below your feet (Tiger on 12 says hello), it certainly helps to have that extra length to work with.

@JB and I discussed this today... I would play a OL 5-GW or 5-PW & then go variable length with a 54° & 58° or 50°, 54°, 58°.
I “think” that if I purchased a few OL wedges and put the GW back in the bag, I would b fine. But when I ordered, I went with the two variable wedges and pairing those with the OL GW around the green was more than my mind could handle. I think that I will eventually try OL throughout irons and wedges.

That's awesome to hear. One thing I will add about bunkers- I strongly believe there is some extra flexibility with OL wedges. Once you're comfortable, it's easy to grip down if you want. But if you have a bad lie well below your feet (Tiger on 12 says hello), it certainly helps to have that extra length to work with.
The Cobra *Redacted* are sick long. There were several times , I looked at @JB and said I can’t believe that it carried that far.

200 yard 5 irons were common place. Distance loss in the higher irons in a OL set is a myth.

There is much to digest here. I remain intrigued by OL. I’m not necessarily in the market for irons but I do enjoy testing new equipment and I wouldn’t mind seeing firsthand how OL irons perform.

How far are the tees you play, and why do you think you need to play the same tees as others?

The tees I usually play are 6950 yards and par 71. We are playing a matches generally and frankly I am as good as the people I play with even from the tees even though I am shorter than them. For playing matches we play the same tees and adjust handicaps based on the course ratings and slopes although frequently we are playing even. I am not complaining just identifying that I play tees that I need to hit a lot of fairway woods into greens and there are situations where you may chose to play a course from tees that require you to hit longer clubs into greens.

The Cobra *Redacted* are sick long. There were several times , I looked at @JB and said I can’t believe that it carried that far.

200 yard 5 irons were common place. Distance loss in the higher irons in a OL set is a myth.
I meant the shaft length, I think it helps in bunkers where ball below the feet seems much more common than above.

But you are right, OL is absolutely not shorter than VL for equivalent clubs

Ugh, the goal was not to buy irons this year. But...

Back