Golf Pride Concept Helix Grips

I really like this concept. These grips are about 16 grams heavier that regular tour velvets. How this will affect swingweight?

Rule of thumb is 2 grams = one swingweight point. I've read that tour pros can't detect a difference of two points, but I can't verify that. Also, wearing a ten grams glove will reduce your effective swingweight, as will wearing a watch.

I will say the price on these is pretty solid. I was expecting it to be more for something new like this.

I am not sure about these.. I think the idea is very cool.. but, I dunno.. I will stick with tape and solvent for now..

I really like this concept. These grips are about 16 grams heavier that regular tour velvets. How this will affect swingweight?

With grip weight it’s 5g = 1 SW point.
My driver is a D0 and after installing this grip it was a C7.

Rule of thumb is 2 grams = one swingweight point. I've read that tour pros can't detect a difference of two points, but I can't verify that. Also, wearing a ten grams glove will reduce your effective swingweight, as will wearing a watch.
2g = 1 sw point is for head weight not for grip weight.

General rule of thumb:

1/2" = 3 swing weight points

2 gr club head weight = 1 swing weight point

5 gr grip = 1 swing weight point

9 gr shaft weight differences = 1 swing weight point

4* flatter lie or more up right lie = increase or decrease 1 swing weight point

Can these new grips get stuck or are they fool proof?

I didn't have any problem with the Concept Helix sticking. They slid on and off just fine. They went onto TM RBZ and TM Burner 2.0 clubs so the tape was several years old. I removed the tape prior to installing the grips.

Awesome write up @Molten, thanks.

Wildly disruptive innovation. And that video alone got me hyped. I’m a huge Tour Velvet fan so these might be the perfect fit. I changed my own grips for the first time recently and it was a decent amount of work. This would save me tons of time.

These are easily one of my favorite technology and innovation stories of the last few years. It’s easy to dismiss them as just grips or currently limited but man, they could disrupt big time.

A very clever concept that will make do-it-yourself grip changes possible for plenty of golfers who wouldn't otherwise do it themselves. I'm sure there will be converts from the 'old school' method as well. There are too many drawbacks for me personally. Besides, I don't mind swapping grips myself. I use air (yes, shame on me), so I get most of the benefits of the Helix system without the compromises. And if I don't have the time or desire to do it myself, my local shop doesn't charge a fee to change grips as long as I buy the grips from them.

air install without the air... and a twisted grip.

:unsure:

I'm interested in the concept

Awesome write up @Molten, thanks.

Wildly disruptive innovation. And that video alone got me hyped. I’m a huge Tour Velvet fan so these might be the perfect fit. I changed my own grips for the first time recently and it was a decent amount of work. This would save me tons of time.
Having installed 3 of the Helix I’d argue I could install 3 conventional grips quicker and I don’t blow my grips on either.

the gain would be on the 2nd install of the helix as you wouldn’t need to fool around with Tape removal and retaping.

Having installed 3 of the Helix I’d argue I could install 3 conventional grips quicker and I don’t blow my grips on either.

the gain would be on the 2nd install of the helix as you wouldn’t need to fool around with Tape removal and retaping.
I agree with a big gain being on the 2nd install. Would take little time.

I’ll make a video of this for installation later when the kid goes to bed. Thought I had one already during testing but apparently not. Not a biggie, won’t take long to re-shoot when I have the time!

Yes, that makes sense. The tape removal is certainly the most difficult and time consuming part.

Looks so easy, even I think I could do it haha.

I am not sure about these.. I think the idea is very cool.. but, I dunno.. I will stick with tape and solvent for now..

Conceptually I think it’s brilliant. In real world use, I’d prefer to have fewer turns and a fox for the bunching issues. Outside of that, I think the idea is innovative and innovation in golf is something I love.

Conceptually I think it’s brilliant. In real world use, I’d prefer to have fewer turns and a fox for the bunching issues. Outside of that, I think the idea is innovative and innovation in golf is something I love.

exactly.

With grip weight it’s 5g = 1 SW point.
My driver is a D0 and after installing this grip it was a C7.
Solid info, I am a little wary of dropping my swing weights so much.

At 10 a grip, it'll always be cheaper going the route you described. But, you have to factor in the time, gas, and delay in turnaround as well. You can be out the door ready in about 2 minutes. You're waiting at least 30-45min using solvent.

this is a big thing for me. i live in a decent sized city with lots of option for club work. the problem is, the city is spread out with tons of traffic. the closest place i can go is 15-20 minutes away, but it’s a big box store and sorry but i don’t trust them. so i go to a smaller retailer who i trust. he’s 25 minutes away (used to be 40 minutes away), so it’s an hour round trip, 2 trips (drop off and pick up). he’s not open on the weekends, and he’s busy so it’s usually a few days before i have my clubs back.

i also live in a smaller house, with nowhere to have a workshop. i have no sink big enough to work in. and i’m not what you might call handy.

this system is so good for someone like i am. the only reason i haven’t bought a full set yet is no arccos. i would prefer cord but i can live without. not having arccos might be a dealbreaker though.

Gosh, not sure where to begin on this one.

I was part of the test group.
I won't go through the step by steps since people have detailed that out already.

Here were my observations I relayed to Golf Pride:

Cons:
1) Removal of the shaft label - for those that like to tinker, buy and swap shafts etc, the shaft label can be a source of proving a shaft is legit. So I was reluctant to remove the label but did so for the test. For the shaft ho crowd I could see this being a big turnoff.

2) Time - Following the videos, not counting the old grip removal time, it took me 14 min. 2nd attempt was more like 4 min.

3) Overall weight. 66g. My gamer grips (Tour Velvet Align std are 51-52g).

4) Swing weight impact - being 15g heavier than a normal std sized grip, reduced the swing weight of the club but about 3 pts. Given I tend to play shortened clubs I need more swing weight, not less.

5) Size - Out of the box, I figured they must have different size options. And maybe they do. I took a look at them and thought these must be the Bryson Jumbomax version. Compared to a std grip about 2" down from the butt end these are 1/8" larger. So perhaps a midsize to jumbo sized grip. I have very small hands and should play undersized grips. So not and ideal fit for me.

6) Taper - they seem to have less taper than a std grip too. You can see in my pics below how thick they are at the head end of the grip.

7) Install process - good lord...where do I begin. After the first install my forearms were on fire. I installed the grip in my basement which is always about 60* down there. By the end of the first grip I had a full body lather going from all of the twisting. I found twisting the bottom and mid part of the grip by hand to be extremely tough to do to get it fully tightened. The first time I didn't go enough and could feel the grip twisting on the shaft. Also I did not like having to hold the club head with my feet to ensure it does not twist. With my iron, no big deal but putting that much torque on a driver head felt like I was going to snap the head off the club. Way, way, way too much effort involved here to install I thought. No way my wife would have the strength to install these.

I'd much rather install grips the normal way. The only way this would work for me is if the horn would tighten the grip fully. Meaning no need to twist the grip by hand to tighten the lower and mid part of the grip.

8) Not compatible with tracking tags - I use Shot Scope to track my game and you cannot screw tags within the butt end. So these would be a non starter for me based on that.

Pros:
1) Grip feel - I did like the pattern and feel of the grip. Sort of like a softer Tour Velvet.

2) Looks- it's not a bad looking grip and looked premium to my eye. I thought the version they were sending me might be a rough prototype but it wasn't. It was definitely a store ready look.

Maybe my thoughts are biased because I do not mind regripping clubs the traditional way but I thought this concept was an epic fail.

If anyone would like to try these, please PM me. I have the 3 grips and horn.

View attachment 8977227View attachment 8977228View attachment 8977229View attachment 8977230

appreciate the candid thoughts. i’m the guy who takes 4 hours to install a ceiling fan that should take less than an hour, and even i installed these grips with ease. but the twisting was something i noted in my feedback to gp that i thought was a problem. dealing with tennis elbow right now, it did not feel good to do that much torque with my forearms.

I am sure it get easier in time. I think 3 bucks per grip at GG is a better choice.

Yes, that makes sense. The tape removal is certainly the most difficult and time consuming part.
Heat Gun makes tape removal a snap. Almost falls off with some heat.

this is a big thing for me. i live in a decent sized city with lots of option for club work. the problem is, the city is spread out with tons of traffic. the closest place i can go is 15-20 minutes away, but it’s a big box store and sorry but i don’t trust them. so i go to a smaller retailer who i trust. he’s 25 minutes away (used to be 40 minutes away), so it’s an hour round trip, 2 trips (drop off and pick up). he’s not open on the weekends, and he’s busy so it’s usually a few days before i have my clubs back.

i also live in a smaller house, with nowhere to have a workshop. i have no sink big enough to work in. and i’m not what you might call handy.

this system is so good for someone like i am. the only reason i haven’t bought a full set yet is no arccos. i would prefer cord but i can live without. not having arccos might be a dealbreaker though.
What do you need a sink for when changing grips ?

Back