Vanity With Your Clubs?

Probably why I don't carry hybrids :unsure: Too much behind it for only a 3 or 4 iron distance.

I was in the same boat for a while. Until I found a hybrid tht looked less like a box and more like mini-fairway wood. And lo and behold, loved it. Crazy as I wasn't even looking for a hybrid. JUst happened to be there and it looked good so I gave it a swing. Then two. Then 3. Then 12. Then I bought one.

follow up question...

How many in this thread have tried something other than a bladed wedge in that slot?

:hello:

I'm guilty of completely avoiding a product because of its appearance. As far as your original post, when it comes to the new Cobra Forged TECs - even if they were the worst club for my game I would still have them in the bag because of how they look.

As long as the clubs don't look like shovels I'm pretty much open. I would say my visual bias really applies more to the traditional style irons... I can't wrap my head around the visual of say HB Launcher irons, but pretty much anything else, thick top line, long blade, etc., wouldn't bother me for the most part.
Wouldnt that be the opposite of a shovel since there is no cavity?

follow up question...

How many in this thread have tried something other than a bladed wedge in that slot?

I played the RTX 2.0 CBs - I know they aren't as aggressively cavity backed as the CBX and MD CB, but I can honestly say I didn't notice any issues w/ versatility. I also played a set SW/LW in two different sets (i25 and Beres)

We have played together, I know you have a game that can hit most, but you are not one that moves the ball around flight wise. So the next logical question is if you can look at the larger clubs in your long irons, why go to something much less than in the shorter ones?
Well that was the beauty of the progresive set i got with Mizuno. MB/CB/HMB.......The HMBs are monsters and i was skeptical. However the look is there and fits nicely with the progression from bottom to top end.

But to answer it more specfically, anything under an 8i should be considered a "scoring club-----ish" for most golfers. I feel, and FEEL is the key word here that i have waaaaaaaay more control over where the ball could potentially go with something that is meant for precision it its design.

Lets look at this from an analogy. If im a butcher or fishmonger, im not going to use a cleaver to fliet a fish. Im going to use a precision boning or filet knife. Its more nimble. it can maneuver easily. Its sharper. Now, can i slice something up pretty quickly with a cleaver and get mass amounts of large things cut up quickly? I sure can. lol

To your point, I dont move the ball a ton left or right. Especially trying to get something to go right. lol. But i do "flight the ball or at least attempt to quite a bit inside of say 150yds.

I played the RTX 2.0 CBs - I know they aren't as aggressively cavity backed as the CBX and MD CB, but I can honestly say I didn't notice any issues w/ versatility. I also played a set SW/LW in two different sets (i25 and Beres)
I need to start pushing CBX2 and/or Mack Daddy CB more on people haha - Too freaking good.

We have played together, I know you have a game that can hit most, but you are not one that moves the ball around flight wise. So the next logical question is if you can look at the larger clubs in your long irons, why go to something much less than in the shorter ones?

Kind of jumping in to the middle of a conversation, but that first point was exactly the reasoning my fitter at CC made for his suggestion. If I wasn't looking to move the ball around a ton, why not go with the more forgiving setup since it was working for me? I ended up with a set that showed the best front-to-back dispersion and distance, which has been kind of a fun combo.

Well that was the beauty of the progresive set i got with Mizuno. MB/CB/HMB.......The HMBs are monsters and i was skeptical. However the look is there and fits nicely with the progression from bottom to top end.

But to answer it more specfically, anything under an 8i should be considered a "scoring club-----ish" for most golfers. I feel, and FEEL is the key word here that i have waaaaaaaay more control over where the ball could potentially go with something that is meant for precision it its design.

Lets look at this from an analogy. If im a butcher or fishmonger, im not going to use a cleaver to fliet a fish. Im going to use a precision boning or filet knife. Its more nimble. it can maneuver easily. Its sharper. Now, can i slice something up pretty quickly with a cleaver and get mass amounts of large things cut up quickly? I sure can. lol

To your point, I dont move the ball a ton left or right. Especially trying to get something to go right. lol. But i do "flight the ball or at least attempt to quite a bit inside of say 150yds.

Genuine question. Did you watch the @Canadan wedge video testing larger cavity back vs blade? What did you think about the control of the two?

Wouldnt that be the opposite of a shovel since there is no cavity?
This is true.... I guess the appearance of some sort of growth in the back of the club freaks me out? BUT, that really is my limit of visual bias... I think....

A club would have to be extremely ugly for me to not consider it, if they performed well. I gamed chunky clone irons from DiamondTour for a few years, before I was sure I wanted to pursue the game. They actually performed quite well, but they were far from pretty. I now look for irons with a narrower sole, because I get better turf interaction. Woods, it makes no difference if they hit the ball, I'll whack em. I'm more picky about the feel, if anything. Even that can be manipulated with the ball, to a point.

I am definitely guilty of not giving clubs that I dont like the look of a chance from wedge through driver. I agree with @Jman there are so many options now that a person should be able to find something that they like the look of and still get the results they need.

I for sure have compromised performance over looks. I can't tell you how many people suggested I try the Ping driver a few years ago, but I just couldn't get over how ugly I felt the club looked to give it a try. Definitely something I should change but looks are sometimes hard to see past.

follow up question...

CBX2 flies high and far.

Whenever this style of topic comes up.

Looks at signature. Definitely play something aspirational.

I need to start pushing CBX2 and/or Mack Daddy CB more on people haha - Too freaking good.

Did one stand out to you more than the other? I've got a fondness for both brands (with a preference for Callaway).

Did one stand out to you more than the other? I've got a fondness for both brands (with a preference for Callaway).

CBX2 was filthy at hammock last fall - better than the original

I think there's definitely a sweet spot for most players with both looks and performance, at least I know there is for me. This fall I had the chance to test out a few clubs and see a whole lot more in person than I was able to at home. I was surprised at how I felt about some versus how they performed. For instance, I was intimidated by the MP-20 blade but wanted to try it for fun. Pured strikes felt absolutely amazing, however unfortunately they were few and far between. I picked up the F9 and was blown away at how thick that top line was compared to my MP-18 SC set. And between the two, when playing similar lofts, the shots were very comparable but my feelings towards each were the complete polar opposites. I LOVE the look of my current set, really didn't enjoy the F9, and was not comfortable with the MP-20 blade. And I was quite surprised by this because I've wanted to play for F9 (and F8) since they were released.

Confidence definitely plays a factor into how well I'm playing on any given day, and I feel that playing a club you're happy with will help to foster an increase. It's like visualization - when you think about the shot, what are you focusing on? When you play through your routine in your minds eye, what does your club look like? Is it the club you're currently playing with, the club you want, or different set altogether?

I have tried all sorts of clubs and honestly my scores haven't changed much no matter what is in the bag, except for blades. That was a bad idea. So basically I play what makes me happy and I like the look/feel of.

follow up question...

If you mean of a style like the CBX2, I have not...yet. I haven't bought any wedges since these came out or probably more accurately since I became aware that these style wedges were available. I want to try some if I can find them in a color other than chrome, and they would likely be a good fit for my swing/faults.

If you mean of a style like the CBX2, I have not...yet. I haven't bought any wedges since these came out or probably more accurately since I became aware that these style wedges were available. I want to try some if I can find them in a color other than chrome, and they would likely be a good fit for my swing/faults.
I hope more options become available for you, because they are a GREAT blend option.

Genuine question. Did you watch the @Canadan wedge video testing larger cavity back vs blade? What did you think about the control of the two?
I can honestly say I hadnt until i just went and watched it over lunch. Certainly interesting data. I think the control of the two makes complete sense on full swing shots for a 56deg wedge. Id certainly love to see a similar comparison of say 46* wedges, one a blade and one from a set that is a pure cavity back. Not saying it would be any different but it would be interesting to see if there was indeed a massive difference. Id also love to see a similar comparison on greenside performance from the fairway. (since thats the only thing you can simulate in a sim session).

Id also add that I didnt think either wedge performed wildly different than the other in @Canadan demo. they were pretty much the same which is superb for the CBX2. But if im honest i didnt expect it to be wildly different. lol Cleveland makes a great product.

I hope more options become available for you, because they are a GREAT blend option.
I can play chrome, I just have an irrational hatred of the two or three holes at my home course where the glare off of my wedges blind me at certain times of day. It's dumb and only happens on one or two shots a round but grrr.

I can honestly say I hadnt until i just went and watched it over lunch. Certainly interesting data. I think the control of the two makes complete sense on full swing shots for a 56deg wedge. Id certainly love to see a similar comparison of say 46* wedges, one a blade and one from a set that is a pure cavity back. Not saying it would be any different but it would be interesting to see if there was indeed a massive difference. Id also love to see a similar comparison on greenside performance from the fairway. (since thats the only thing you can simulate in a sim session).

Id also add that I didnt think either wedge performed wildly different than the other in @Canadan demo. they were pretty much the same which is superb for the CBX2. But if im honest i didnt expect it to be wildly different. lol Cleveland makes a great product.
I also didn't expect there to be a ton of difference, but I DEFINITELY didn't expect the CBX2 to have better accuracy.

Back