Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

My thoughts exactly. Love the idea of a full bag of ZX5’s.
I think the ZX5 looks so good, I'd rather have all the tech I can get because I know I will use it, more often than I like to admit.

You can see the numbers in the article of the OP of the two designs and it shows a bit of what you’re talking about. The 5’s will be longer, but not earth shakingly so, the big story which is being missed by most because they’re both just so damn sexy, is the Mainframe design on the 5’s, it’s ball speed generation and retention across the face is much more noticeable than on the 7’s.

They will not adjust lofts, unless you request on the order. Whether one will need them tweaked or not is dependent on the location of the split imo. Most are going to put in 5’s looking for more launch and ease in the longer irons, and if that comes with a few more yards then that’s ok. Only way to know how they will gap for someone is to just hit them still. (y)

Thanks Jman. Very helpful.

Pretty sure I am going to change my order to a ZX5 in the 4 iron, then the rest of the bag all ZX7's. :love:

I hit my 921 Tour longer irons quite well (good launch, carry, strike consistency), and the ZX7's are another level of forgiveness with added tungsten, thicker soles and more generous perimeter weighting, so I feel like i'm already getting a forgiveness upgrade without even considering the ZX5.

The other consideration is at my course I hit a lot of 5-6-7 irons into Par 3's, or on approach shots, and I need the gapping in this range to be very tight. I know I'll get this out of the box if I stick with the ZX7's, whereas the ZX5's are likely to need some tweaking to make it work.

The ZX5 4 iron is a little bit of an experiment. It should be a nice option from a few tight par 4's tees at my course, and bridge the gap between my 5 iron and hybrid nicely. It will also give me a little taste of what a combo set might work like if I decide to purchase the ZX5 5 and 6 irons at a later date.

UPDATE

Went into the shop this arvo with the intent of making the change but I simply could not stand the visible cavity hanging out the back of the ZX5 4 iron. It also has some pretty serious offset that did not suit my eye.

Full set of ZX7's LOCKED IN. :love:

Hello - Has anyone compare the z585 to the ZX5 as far as feel and forgiveness? Stay safe

Hello - Has anyone compare the z585 to the ZX5 as far as feel and forgiveness? Stay safe
Feel is similar, slightly sharper sound than the ZX7/785, in line with previous 5-series releases, which is to say a pleasant feedback to the hands and ears.

The forgiveness is an interesting one, I think on forgiving missing directionally they’re similar, but mainframe has made the ball speed on misses a totally different level (read: much better) from the 585s

Feel is similar, slightly sharper sound than the ZX7/785, in line with previous 5-series releases, which is to say a pleasant feedback to the hands and ears.

The forgiveness is an interesting one, I think on forgiving missing directionally they’re similar, but mainframe has made the ball speed on misses a totally different level (read: much better) from the 585s
That is great news as the 585s were already very forgiving on miss hits.

Thank you JMan - So your initial thought is the ZX5 will be more forgiving than the z585's. Interesting.
Was thinking of getting a set of Z's before they are gone.

Thank you JMan - So your initial thought is the ZX5 will be more forgiving than the z585's. Interesting.
Was thinking of getting a set of Z's before they are gone.
I believe for directional, they’re super close, but the ball speed difference on the ZX5 is notable! (y)

ugh I hear a set of ZX5's calling my name. damn you!

Just a little more than a month until it is “go time”.

The X7 irons are kind the of the perfect example of what we were saying earlier.

The right forgiveness..

Going 5's or 7's? Or combo?
I haven't decided yet.
ZX5 6-PW. Keeping my Launcher 5i for the forgiveness. I hear that the ZX4 is coming at some point and I will put that in as a 5i.

I might as well fore-ponder in here with the everyone. In the real world I don't need new irons, but I've got a soft spot for Srixon. The z745's have been pretty much my benchmark iron set for a few years... its a well balanced package. And the Z-Forged are the same way among blade irons for me... a solid benchmark.

The ZX7 look to have slightly thinner soles, which is something I'd prefer on an update. I get along alot better with the sole with on my Z Forged. And, I love that they have returned to the tungsten weight in the tow and notched sole of the z745. Not gonna be able to sit this one out. Nope.

Likely 4-PW in ZX7 for me, possible AW, though there is an intense three way battle being waged in my head between ZX7 AW, CBX2 50*, and ZipCore Tour Rack 50*. I loved the 4i from the z745, and will likely try it in the ZX7. That said, I'm intensely curious about the ZX Utility in the 4 spot. We shall see what develops. It blew me away to win a ZX Utility this week, and TBH I'm kinda woozy with excitement. I don't know what loft it will be, or if it will arrive pre-release or after Jan. 6th. The anticipation is cool, I had a putter delivered today that showed up early and I almost had a heart attack becuase it was packaged in a long hybrid/woods box. Apparently I am looking forward to the ZXU more than the putter I just bought!

ZX5 6-PW. Keeping my Launcher 5i for the forgiveness. I hear that the ZX4 is coming at some point and I will put that in as a 5i.
I will hit both and should probably go with the more forgiving ZX5, but the 7's intrigue me a lot.
C-Taper Lites in Reg, MCC +4 grips.

I will hit both and should probably go with the more forgiving ZX5, but the 7's intrigue me a lot.
C-Taper Lites in Reg, MCC +4 grips.
My friend with the 5's borrowed my 7's yesterday and today, and he has had a lot to say about how much harder it's been for him to get the longer ones in the air, and the forgiveness difference throughout. I know you're a good ball striker, but I would definitely try not to mentally commit to anything until you hit them. I've hit his a few times and the differences are fairly significant imo too. He said something along the lines of 'they're like 921 Tours without the spin'. It sounded odd and got me thinking, so I snapped a couple pics of the ZX7 today next to the 921 Tours that I'll post for yet another reference.

20201203_233211.jpg20201203_232956.jpg
Tours a little longer and rounder, similar top lines, very similar soles, etc.

It's harder for me to judge forgiveness in irons until I get them out on the turf, but the comment, and what I saw and thought about when I put them next to each other, made me think that to him they might seem that similar in ways. Just stronger lofts and less spin. And I'm not sure which shape would inspire more confidence for people. Just food for thought.

Last edited:
I think the ZX5 looks so good, I'd rather have all the tech I can get because I know I will use it, more often than I like to admit.
This 100%...

It's harder for me to judge forgiveness in irons until I get them out on the turf, but the comment, and what I saw and thought about when I put them next to each other, made me think that to him they might seem that similar in ways. Just stronger lofts and less spin. And I'm not sure which shape would inspire more confidence for people. Just food for thought.

Personally I think the thick top line of the ZX7 inspires confidence - it's quite a bit thicker than any cavity iron i've hit and borders on a players distance iron look at address.

The perimeter cavity appears to be much more generous in the ZX7. The soles on the 921 Tour short irons are surprisingly thick, but the ZX7 longer irons definitely have thicker soles. Not sure if this equates to any meaningful increase in forgiveness, but it certainly makes me feel like it should.

I got comparable spin numbers with both sets but went with very different shafts to get optimal results. My ZX7 irons will land early new year so will be interesting to see what I think after a few rounds on the course.

My friend with the 5's borrowed my 7's yesterday and today, and he has had a lot to say about how much harder it's been for him to get the longer ones in the air, and the forgiveness difference throughout. I know you're a good ball striker, but I would definitely try not to mentally commit to anything until you hit them. I've hit his a few times and the differences are fairly significant imo too. He said something along the lines of 'they're like 921 Tours without the spin'. It sounded odd and got me thinking, so I snapped a couple pics of the ZX7 today next to the 921 Tours that I'll post for yet another reference.
Now when you say longer irons are we talking 4-5? I start at 6 so might not be an issue, but maybe where a combo set comes in play better and go 5-6 in the ZX5 and then 7-PW in the ZX7. Thoughts?

Now when you say longer irons are we talking 4-5? I start at 6 so might not be an issue, but maybe where a combo set comes in play better and go 5-6 in the ZX5 and then 7-PW in the ZX7. Thoughts?
He was talking about not wanting to play them in at least 4-7. He's about a 6 right now btw, with medium speed, and doesn't naturally sky the ball, btw. I don't know how much that statement would be based in some kind of 'this is where sets are combo'd' mentality, or if he's really breaking down potential shots and outcomes with less speed and forgiveness, 'speed robustnesss', if I can borrow callaways stupid term. :LOL: I like to combo high in the bag because I don't like a transition in the scoring club area, and with the groove changes at the 8 I think 6-7 would be less dramatic. That's just my thinking though, and it's so individual. His reaction really just made me think about things a little bit because he's a good iron player. He mostly suffers on tee penalties and putting. And I guess I hadn't thought about what they could really seem like to someone with less speed who likes some more help regardless. Coming from your irons, I have no idea. lol Your 6 is stronger than the ZX7 5 though, with a lot more help, so I'm curious to hear how you feel about it when you get to try them out.

I think he's going to join us here in a bit for the front 9, so I'll pepper him with questions like it's my job to disrupt his game (take his dollars). :p

He was talking about not wanting to play them in at least 4-7. He's about a 6 right now btw, with medium speed, and doesn't naturally sky the ball, btw. I don't know how much that statement would be based in some kind of 'this is where sets are combo'd' mentality, or if he's really breaking down potential shots and outcomes with less speed and forgiveness, 'speed robustnesss', if I can borrow callaways stupid term. :LOL: I like to combo high in the bag because I don't like a transition in the scoring club area, and with the groove changes at the 8 I think 6-7 would be less dramatic. That's just my thinking though, and it's so individual. His reaction really just made me think about things a little bit because he's a good iron player. He mostly suffers on tee penalties and putting. And I guess I hadn't thought about what they could really seem like to someone with less speed who likes some more help regardless. Coming from your irons, I have no idea. lol Your 6 is stronger than the ZX7 5 though, with a lot more help, so I'm curious to hear how you feel about it when you get to try them out.

I think he's going to join us here in a bit for the front 9, so I'll pepper him with questions like it's my job to disrupt his game (take his dollars). :p
Having played the 765's I'm pretty sure I can handle the zx7's but who knows. Like you said, best to hit them both and make a decision. I also don't want to work hard playing.
Give him a tree cake and get him hyped up on sugar.

Last edited:
Having played the 765's I'm pretty sure I can handle the zx7's but who knows. Like you said, best to hit them both and make a decision.
Give him a tree cake and get him hyped up on sugar.
I know, that's why it's so hard to even picture for you. Only you'll know whether you miss something or am like NOW WE'RE TALKING. I like a little different flight at the long end than I do in the rest and I'm not a huge fan of having to change my swing to get it, so I'd have no problem playing the 4 and maybe 5 in the 5's. I don't particularly love either honestly, but I'm a weird fit.

Now that's a ******* idea! I just tried to eat one while taking the dog out and my hand froze. Numb hands has to be worth half a pop. :p

I tested the 7 iron out in both sets for quite a while today. Like what I am seeing out of the 5s. I’m not seeing any spin issue or anything out of the ordinary that a few others mentioned.

Back