Using One Length Irons and More

At first I wasn’t having an issue with the OL 60°, then I lost it. Mainly, because I wasn’t consistent with how much to grip down (this 60° was a 7 iron length and longer than JB’s iron set).

Also, I don’t think that I would be able to get comfortable in green side bunkers at the OL length.
I have used the F9 OL for a season and had a similar thought about bunkers and chipping around the green. My set is 7i length so as an 8i it may be different, but any time I tried to chip with my OL I had trouble adjusting.

Distance loss in the higher irons in a OL set is a myth.
I am not sure it was a myth but rather something that maybe has been corrected? I believe that in the F8 that the longer irons (4i and 5i) launched lower. If it was someone that struggled with launch, I believe that they would get less distance than the VL irons.

My OL FT 4 and 5 iron are nearly identical to my previous 4 and 5 iron in distance and launch just a hair lower than my Big Bertha (2019) irons did.

I’m loving this discussion. I have the F7’s, F8’s, and F9’s. I was hoping to finally get a fitted set of FT’s or speed zones next year but I need to wait and see what this new set is first now. And I like the idea of maybe going 8 iron length. There’s a lot to digest and clearly more coming but I’m super interested to hear more about these.

The tees I usually play are 6950 yards and par 71. We are playing a matches generally and frankly I am as good as the people I play with even from the tees even though I am shorter than them. For playing matches we play the same tees and adjust handicaps based on the course ratings and slopes although frequently we are playing even. I am not complaining just identifying that I play tees that I need to hit a lot of fairway woods into greens and there are situations where you may chose to play a course from tees that require you to hit longer clubs into greens.
I was just curious because I'd never want to play a set of tees that require 3 wood into the green on a par 4 haha

That's deep, man!

I was just curious because I'd never want to play a set of tees that require 3 wood into the green on a par 4 haha

That's deep, man!

I have seen your videos and you wouldn't need to hit fairway wood into any of these greens assuming a solid drive. I also think from 210 yards out you wouldn't be hitting fairway woods anyway it is probably no more than a 5 iron (my 175 club) or maybe even a 6 iron.

Somehow this is quite the threadjack for a OL thread.

I have seen your videos and you wouldn't need to hit fairway wood into any of these greens assuming a solid drive. I also think from 210 yards out you wouldn't be hitting fairway woods anyway it is probably no more than a 5 iron (my 175 club) or maybe even a 6 iron.

Somehow this is quite the threadjack for a OL thread.
I mean... it came from the "Off Course" podcast so if anything we're doing it perfect justice haha

I play from 6,600 usually and don't mind moving up to 6,400 if my group prefers it (especially in off season or bad weather). Very rarely do we venture back to 6,950 and I'm pretty okay with it. I personally LOVE playing a course that requires at least four different clubs off the tee for positioning.

So this year I decided to give OL a try when my home course had their demo set of F9 OL 4H-GW on sale after the Speedzones came out. After trading in my previous set (TM Speedblades) and some other clubs, I was only out about $200. I have definitely gone all in on OL. With my VL irons, I never hit my 5 or 6 irons because they never did what I wanted them to do. I was simply afraid to use them. I definitely have more confidence and now I can focus on just making a proper swing. I never noticed any yardage differences between the sets. The clubs that gave me the most trouble were the PW and GW because they were too short (!) but I realized that I had them open at address and once that was fixed, my yardages are what they're supposed to be. I will definitely get fit for my next set. OL has made golf more fun for me and I cant wait to get fit for my next set.

I am not sure it was a myth but rather something that maybe has been corrected? I believe that in the F8 that the longer irons (4i and 5i) launched lower. If it was someone that struggled with launch, I believe that they would get less distance than the VL irons.

My OL FT 4 and 5 iron are nearly identical to my previous 4 and 5 iron in distance and launch just a hair lower than my Big Bertha (2019) irons did.
When working at Dick’s, we had a full Demo set of both the Variable F8s & OL F8s. I can say that during that launch, consistent distance was an issue with the 4,5, & 6 irons in that set.

It’s an issue that has been corrected. I saw some really good yardages in all clubs in the set and the gaps were correct.

When working at Dick’s, we had a full Demo set of both the Variable F8s & OL F8s. I can say that during that launch, consistent distance was an issue with the 4,5, & 6 irons in that set.

It’s an issue that has been corrected. I saw some really good yardages in all clubs in the set and the gaps were correct.
That is my point. It is a belief some still have based on issues when OL was first rolled out, so I guess it is a myth based on old info. A lot of what I heard from fitters was old info when I was trying to get started in OL FT. It is one reason I post so much about OL and include screenshots of my arcoss numbers. Whatever issue they had when OL first came out seems to be corrected. I did try F9 in the golf store on a monitor and had poor gapping between the demo clubs, but I have talked to others that have no issues with F9 gapping.

I am excited to see the OL Cobra offerings in 2021 and look forward to following the people that go OL next season.

So this year I decided to give OL a try when my home course had their demo set of F9 OL 4H-GW on sale after the Speedzones came out. After trading in my previous set (TM Speedblades) and some other clubs, I was only out about $200. I have definitely gone all in on OL. With my VL irons, I never hit my 5 or 6 irons because they never did what I wanted them to do. I was simply afraid to use them. I definitely have more confidence and now I can focus on just making a proper swing. I never noticed any yardage differences between the sets. The clubs that gave me the most trouble were the PW and GW because they were too short (!) but I realized that I had them open at address and once that was fixed, my yardages are what they're supposed to be. I will definitely get fit for my next set. OL has made golf more fun for me and I cant wait to get fit for my next set.
Love that, making golf more fun is the best thing

I mean... it came from the "Off Course" podcast so if anything we're doing it perfect justice haha

I play from 6,600 usually and don't mind moving up to 6,400 if my group prefers it (especially in off season or bad weather). Very rarely do we venture back to 6,950 and I'm pretty okay with it. I personally LOVE playing a course that requires at least four different clubs off the tee for positioning.

Even at 6400 yards I still hit driver off almost every tee. When driver is 230 all in you can hit it on most holes particularly when I am pretty much as straight with driver as anything else. At 6950 on my course you might hit other than driver on a few holes depending on the wind. At 6600 yards you definitely would.

Courses at 6400 yards are definitely easier for me to score on but I do enjoy the challenge of the tougher course as well. A 78 at my course translates to roughly a 2 differential which equates to 72 or 74 at some other courses near by.

I reached out to Cobra to regarding shortening F9 one length irons to an 8 iron length:

"Thank you for the email, and interest in Cobra Golf. The shafts are correctly tip trimmed for the set, if you were looking to go to an 8 iron length, you would just need to butt trim to the desired length and re grip. We have a lot of guys who will play 6 iron or 8 iron length. The one length can be played at the best length for you, so an 8 iron length is not uncommon at all.

Brad F "

I reached out to Cobra to regarding shortening F9 one length irons to an 8 iron length:

"Thank you for the email, and interest in Cobra Golf. The shafts are correctly tip trimmed for the set, if you were looking to go to an 8 iron length, you would just need to butt trim to the desired length and re grip. We have a lot of guys who will play 6 iron or 8 iron length. The one length can be played at the best length for you, so an 8 iron length is not uncommon at all.

Brad F "

I would think that would impact the distance you hit your irons though. Taking 1/2" or more off of each club is going to cause you to hit them shorter.

a lot of great points in the podcast and honestly it might shave strokes off my game be eliminating the option of 3w. For the most part it is a well hit club, but generally use it on par 5s as my second shot when things are at huge distances. i i split it up it could eliminate the distances and still give me a short iron into the green. possibly even add a 2 hybrid or utility iron as a replacement to help with long distances over 215 with more forgiveness.

I would think that would impact the distance you hit your irons though. Taking 1/2" or more off of each club is going to cause you to hit them shorter.

Not necessarily. Traditional irons that is true, OL are weighted differently to allow them to play at the same length. For instance my 5 iron very short length wiseof my previous 5 iron doesnt go shorter.

Not necessarily. Traditional irons that is true, OL are weighted differently to allow them to play at the same length. For instance my 5 iron very short length wiseof my previous 5 iron doesnt go shorter.

Is the loft stronger than the loft on a traditional 5 iron.

Is the loft stronger than the loft on a traditional 5 iron.

There are a couple of minor changes (half a degree), but it comes from weight and weight placement.

My One Length Journey has begun and it took an interesting twist this morning as a hybrid has been added. In the past I struggled to get the gapping right with all of the hybrids and the 5 iron, but this one was exact 10.9 yards further than the 5 iron after 12 swings. So right now I am looking at this set and gapped from 200 or so yards to 115-120 or so on full swings.

This hybrid is also cut to the same length as my irons and I am seeing no major distance loss.

This is going to be a fun ride.

My One Length Journey has begun and it took an interesting twist this morning as a hybrid has been added. In the past I struggled to get the gapping right with all of the hybrids and the 5 iron, but this one was exact 10.9 yards further than the 5 iron after 12 swings. So right now I am looking at this set and gapped from 200 or so yards to 115-120 or so on full swings.

This hybrid is also cut to the same length as my irons and I am seeing no major distance loss.

I am starting to think you're actually telling the truth.

I'm dieing to see these once released, might push me off the OL cliff! 🤔

Should wrangle anyone looking at Cobra clubs to a OL Experience, even if its virtual. Try out both OL and VL and report back. Have access to Jose for questions regarding gapping, club choices, etc. See what % goes OL vs VL. Would be kind of fun.

I am starting to think you're actually telling the truth.

I have played 4 rounds of Sim Golf in the tech studio in 3 days. That should tell you something. Including 3 of those rounds being irons only.

I have played 4 rounds of Sim Golf in the tech studio in 3 days. That should tell you something. Including 3 of those rounds being irons only.
so the next time I visit, you'll be in "Dan has the sim at his disposal which means we're playing 36 tonight" shape.

Back