Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

Sorry if I missed it but will there a review thread on the drivers?

After my experience with the Z585 driver, the new ones are at the top of my radar, especially as they have greatly improved the appearance IMO. That alignment mark is so much better, and love the grey/red pinstripes.

After my experience with the Z585 driver, the new ones are at the top of my radar, especially as they have greatly improved the appearance IMO. That alignment mark is so much better, and love the grey/red pinstripes.
:censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:

;)

🤩

AEA2AB81-C1D2-4445-95D6-B5B4A866FEB7.jpeg

Nice! I wish I still had enough game to play the 5 series but time marches on and I no longer swing hard enough to get the best out of them. They sure are pretty though.
They are pretty forgiving.
Ah, confirmed. That was the impression I thought you were giving in your review. Currently playing TM-Tour Titan-Steel II irons, a cavity-back TaylorMade clone. They actually seem to work pretty well for me.

So who else is eager to try these out?
Eager? Yes. <looks at calendar> But December in Michigan...

I can say this: I winged it a bit on driver and woods, because I couldn't pass on an awesome sale. But a full set of irons will be an entirely different, and much more expensive kettle of fish. When I'm ready I will get fit and, if the fitter thinks they'd be a potential good fit, I'll definitely want to give the ZX5's a go.

My LGS stocks Srixon, but I didn't see them in any Srixon in the demo club racks when I was in there yesterday, so I'm not sure what's up with that.

Ya know, they look good, but the top line bugs me in that tiny complaint kind of way. The satin makes it look thicker.
I'm not considering the 7's, so I don't know as this comment is germane, but in general terms I'm partial to a satin finish. I :love: the looks of my CBX wedges, for example.

Last edited:
There is a lot to say when the time is right but until then...:censored::censored::censored::devilish:
Right on, looking forward to learning about them. Pretty stellar line-up this year, pretty sure the Srixon experience in 2021 will be a popular ticket

I lent the ZX7 out to another friend since I wouldn't be using them for a few days. Think I'm going to see him tomorrow and I'm curious to hear what he has to say about them. I saw one of the scores he posted and :oops:🔥

These are available on Tourspec Golf website.

So I really enjoyed the ZX7 today. Don't have to work that hard to hold these greens and the little bit of extra/easy distance with the Modus combo was really nice on a cool day. Layed up off the tee mostly to get quite a few approach shots in with them, and stuck 9 within about 10' I think, nearly holed 2 separate 7 irons, and so on.. Tested the toe on one 6i approach towards the end and while it turned over a bit, it was left fringe about 25' from the pin and less than half a club short of expected distance. It wasn't a small miss either. I was pretty impressed with that.

Turf interaction is really enjoyable as you'd expect. I really do like the trail relief of the V soles. Anyone who's seen me swing knows that my AoA is fairly strong throughout the irons, with a pretty forward low point, and after playing these for quite a few rounds I honestly think the soles make them a little easier on my wrists and .. body, I guess. Lessens the impact for me in a way that I'm starting to notice with mixed turf here. My right wrist was tender going into today, and I was taking it easy because of that, but it wasn't any worse at the end. Gives me confidence to really work the flight of them without worry. Anyway, ramble, but I think I notice it and anything that helps my broken body gets extra points in my book.

I took the 4-7 a degree weak, and blended through the 8/9 back to stock, and it seemed fine today. Might need to take it right up to the PW, as one 9i was a little strong today, but they're closer to where they'd need to be for me.

Anyway, pounded the daylights out of the pins today with these and it was fun. They feel good, and I might suck as a barometer on it because opinions seem to be varying here, but they seem pretty forgiving for a modern lofted CB without a chunky sole.

Last edited:
coming from the b19 big Bertha irons, handicap dropped from 18 to a 12. I can buy a nearly new used set of the z585s for $550. Would love to wait to try the zx5, but not sure if it’s that much better given the price. Also tried the apex irons, but dispersion was worse. The pxg 0211s felt great...softer, but don’t like the look compared to the z585. And wasn’t sure what other irons I should have tried.

any thoughts on whether to buy the used z585s? I’m guessing the change from the big berthas will overwhelm any difference between the new zx5 and the z585s.

any thoughts on whether to buy the used z585s?

The Apex irons are much closer to the z585/ZX5 than your Big Berthas, and given you said your dispersion was worse with the Apex I would not be considering buying any clubs without being able to test them extensively.

With your handicap drop it sounds like it's time to upgrade from the Berthas, but if I were you i'd go and get properly fitted.

Sorry. Meant to say that I hit both the Z585s and the Apex irons. The Z585s were super consistent, just a tiny draw (which I want) and consistent distance. The Apex's felt softer to me at least, but were going right and less consistent. Part of me wishes that I had tried more clubs, thinking Mizunos here, but I didn't.

So while I didn't get fitted per se, I did hit the Z585s and the Apex's, with the Z585s feeling and hitting great. I can't say whether other irons would have had better spin and launch characteristics. But they are pretty cheap...

Sorry. Meant to say that I hit both the Z585s and the Apex irons. The Z585s were super consistent, just a tiny draw (which I want) and consistent distance. The Apex's felt softer to me at least, but were going right and less consistent. Part of me wishes that I had tried more clubs, thinking Mizunos here, but I didn't.

So while I didn't get fitted per se, I did hit the Z585s and the Apex's, with the Z585s feeling and hitting great. I can't say whether other irons would have had better spin and launch characteristics. But they are pretty cheap...

Some of that could be shaft flex or offset. That said the 585s are great clubs if you hit them well go with them.

Going to do my best to get the 7's back out one more time before I hang 'em up for a bit. There's a tough, longer par 71 here with some challenging par 3's I'd like to get them on Thursday if I'm able. We'll have to go early to beat the crowds so it should be a right test of spin on a cold, wet morning.

So I really enjoyed the ZX7 today. Don't have to work that hard to hold these greens and the little bit of extra/easy distance with the Modus combo was really nice on a cool day. Layed up off the tee mostly to get quite a few approach shots in with them, and stuck 9 within about 10' I think, nearly holed 2 separate 7 irons, and so on.. Tested the toe on one 6i approach towards the end and while it turned over a bit, it was left fringe about 25' from the pin and less than half a club short of expected distance. It wasn't a small miss either. I was pretty impressed with that.

Turf interaction is really enjoyable as you'd expect. I really do like the trail relief of the V soles. Anyone who's seen me swing knows that my AoA is fairly strong throughout the irons, with a pretty forward low point, and after playing these for quite a few rounds I honestly think the soles make them a little easier on my wrists and .. body, I guess. Lessens the impact for me in a way that I'm starting to notice with mixed turf here. My right wrist was tender going into today, and I was taking it easy because of that, but it wasn't any worse at the end. Gives me confidence to really work the flight of them without worry. Anyway, ramble, but I think I notice it and anything that helps my broken body gets extra points in my book.

I took the 4-7 a degree weak, and blended through the 8/9 back to stock, and it seemed fine today. Might need to take it right up to the PW, as one 9i was a little strong today, but they're closer to where they'd need to be for me.

Anyway, pounded the daylights out of the pins today with these and it was fun. They feel good, and I might suck as a barometer on it because opinions seem to be varying here, but they seem pretty forgiving for a modern lofted CB without a chunky sole.
Did you get all ZX 7s or did you blend some ZX5s into the longer irons?

really wanna get the zx7's ASAP. ive had 765/965's and currently play 785/ z forged

I have no need to upgrade other than...WANT!!!!!!

really wanna get the zx7's ASAP. ive had 765/965's and currently play 785/ z forged

I have no need to upgrade other than...WANT!!!!!!
I play the exact same combo set and have no reason to change, but it is tempting to try them

Anyone compare the zx5 to the z585?
Better.

Specifically in forgiveness and ball speed all over the face, not just the middle.

I mean that.

Back