Srixon ZX Drivers, Fairway Woods, & Hybrids

Wow. Color me impressed. Srixon really making me want to make a bag overhaul this year haha. I love my cobra right now but I will certainly be giving this a shot next spring.

Great write up Gary.

I have been waiting for this article to drop, great write up @Molten. You wouldn’t happen to have some pictures of the heads side by side at address would u? I like the look of a more compact head but everything I have seen show the zx5 to be a low spinning cannon that is extremely forgiving (great dispersion). I agree with the comments stating that Srixon has a solid line up from top to bottom. Sad our local shop won’t stock Srixon clubs as they say are not popular enough but I believe they will order them in if requested. It would at least be nice to see them in hand and hit a few. Here’s to hoping that they will continue to grow in popularity and we will even see them up here
I’m going to get some data in here in a bit but I only have the ZX5 so I can’t help with images. The ZX5 is the higher spinning head but it isn’t high spin by any measure but I don’t think it is the lowest spinning head I’ve hit either. I’ve been seeing my spin in the 23-2400 range (which is great for my SS).

One of the things that stands out in this line is the reminder of how hard it is to break into the metal woods market. In my testing this is such a good product, yet will be under seen or thought of and is understandable to an extent. But how good does one have to be to get noticed, or forever pigeoned as an iron or ball brand.

One of the things that stands out in this line is the reminder of how hard it is to break into the metal woods market. In my testing this is such a good product, yet will be under seen or thought of and is understandable to an extent. But how good does one have to be to get noticed, or forever pigeoned as an iron or ball brand.

How much of it has to do with the naming conventions of the tech?

I think that is where historically I've see Srixon struggle, the tech is real, but the names are off.

Rebound Face and Cannon Sole I think they could have done better?

How much of it has to do with the naming conventions of the tech?

I think that is where historically I've see Srixon struggle, the tech is real, but the names are off.

Rebound Face and Cannon Sole I think they could have done better?

Maybe better, but I am not sure that changes much.
I think they are a bit overlooked the way other brands are and I get it. But in this instance, I think THPers are the educated and hopefully get a chance to test out.

Good write-up! Exciting stuff from Srixon this year!

@NVGOLFER80 and I had a quick exchange about the drivers the other night, and he seemed to really like them. I had a chance to hit the ZX7, which I like the looking of more, and it is far and away the best look Srixon driver I've seen. Like I was telling him though, it just wasn't a perfect fit for me. Seemed plenty fast, and I like that it didn't sound cracky doing it. I actually really like the sound. It seemed to sit pretty upright to me. I reach a bit and play real flat so that's not uncommon, but it always gets my eye and it's hard for me to ignore. Speeds were really good, spin was LOW for me. I tend to play a touch above center, with my miss being slightly up, so there were some yikesy things in the numbers. Survivable indoor, but not likely out. Surely could have dialed it in more, and I like the ideas behind their weight system, but it just wasn't a perfect fit for me that day. Which is fine. I think it looks great, sounds good, flies far, and will be loved by plenty. The shape of the 5 doesn't fit my eye as much, but the numbers with it might more, so I'm excited to give that one a go at some point. The cool thing for me was that it seems like a big step forward for Srixon. I don't usually want to like their woods. Takes looks and performance for me to want to, because there's so many good clubs out there. And after hitting the 7, I want to like these, and I want to hit the 5. :p

Edit: should have said I hit it with a smoke 60 6.5, which I have, and have played a bunch

Last edited:
Good write-up! Exciting stuff from Srixon this year!

@NVGOLFER80 and I had a quick exchange about the drivers the other night, and he seemed to really like them. I had a chance to hit the ZX7, which I like the looking of more, and it is far and away the best look Srixon driver I've seen. Like I was telling him though, it just wasn't a perfect fit for me. Seemed plenty fast, and I like that it didn't sound cracky doing it. I actually really like the sound. It seemed to sit pretty upright to me. I reach a bit and play real flat so that's not uncommon, but it always gets my eye and it's hard for me to ignore. Speeds were really good, spin was LOW for me. I tend to play a touch above center, with my miss being slightly up, so there were some yikesy things in the numbers. Survivable indoor, but not likely out. Surely could have dialed it in more, and I like the ideas behind their weight system, but it just wasn't a perfect fit for me. Which is fine. I think it looks great, sounds good, flies far, and will be loved by plenty. The shape of the 5 doesn't fit my eye as much, but the numbers with it might more, so I'm excited to give that one a go at some point. The cool thing for me was that it seems like a big step forward for Srixon. I don't usually want to like their woods. Takes looks and performance for me to want to, because there's so many good clubs out there. And after hitting the 7, I want to like these, and I want to hit the 5. :p

I would assume in that instance, lofting up slightly would do exactly what you would want.

I think it takes just the right buzz. Hard to say what this is or what will cause it. But just like a video that goes "viral" I think it happens with golf gear as well. Remember the sonartec fairway woods? those became pretty hot for a couple years. Or the original orilimar tri metal wood that started out as a infomercial and could be seen in many bags for a few years.

You could even through in the original tour edge exotics fairway woods. Those were way more expensive than anything out there but that combo braising tech worked. So they sold.

I would assume in that instance, lofting up slightly would do exactly what you would want.
I think you know it's a little more complicated than that. Every driver isn't the same high to low on the face. I would, and will, try another time with a 10.5 though. The 9.5 is what was there, and that's about the loft I play I my drivers. And I really want to try the 5.

Great write up. Interesting tech with the frame and face flexing inward and outward. So does the frame flex inward and outward like the face at the same rate? Or is the frame slightly more ridge to support the rebound from the face?

Will definitely give these and the new irons some swings. Lots of good offerings.

I think you know it's a little more complicated than that. Every driver isn't the same high to low on the face. I would, and will, try another time with a 10.5 though. The 9.5 is what was there, and that's about the loft I play I my drivers. And I really want to try the 5.

What I meant is that if you were getting the right stuff, but thought the spin was a little low, and live a little high, slightly more loft should in fact cure that from a numbers perspective.

For the non THPer I think it comes down to being shown TM, Callaway and Titleist on TV and not a peep for Srixon. I think that is a product of their tour guys not giving them enough exposure week in and week out on the tour. I agree if you put them up head to head, they can stack up against what's out there and fit a larger segment if given a shot.

Excellent info! But they still wont share the custom shaft options...

I need to see that ZX5 driver in person.
Srixon is packing everything they possibly can into these drivers. Very impressive!

Oh!!! Srixon has moved to a T25 Star screw in their driver heads!!

Sounds like an interesting concept, and they look GREAT.

I want to see what the spin numbers are with the ZX5. I know we all deliver the club head differently, but some good baseline numbers will go a long way to help understand the differences between the two. I know the article mentions the ZX7 will be several hundred RPM's lower than the ZX5, but some numbers would help to compare.

Also I like the ZX7 weight options and appearance of a smaller head at address, but still in a 460cc head.
For the ZX5, I was hitting fades at ~2450 and draws around ~2150 if those numbers help.

For the ZX5, I was hitting fades at ~2450 and draws around ~2150 if those numbers help.

it does, thanks. Curious if you know what launch is/was?

it does, thanks. Curious if you know what launch is/was?
14 and 16, respectively. I should add it wasn’t my best swinging day but the ball speed retention as I explored the face screams that rebound frame works. They were all basically within 3-4 mph

14 and 16, respectively. I should add it wasn’t my best swinging day but the ball speed retention as I explored the face screams that rebound frame works. They were all basically within 3-4 mph

Thanks. with those launch numbers the spin doesn't seem to be hurting you, but I am thinking it could be higher to help eek out some more carry yardage. 9.5* head or 10.5* head?

two thoughts from me:

1- it's a marathon, not a sprint. which sucks because some seriously good product will be victim of the process and not get its due.

2- it sounds like srixon is super excited about this tech, wanting to put it toe-to-toe against the big 4 because they think it's every bit as good. that is pretty exciting.

Win on Sunday, sell on Monday.

Win on Sunday, sell on Monday.
If that were the case entirely Wilson would have sold a whole lot of Wilson sets after a major win and Nike would still have a club division. There is visibility for sure, but they do have a staff

I have a thought, but I first want to ask a question.

Where are the majority of drivers that hit the market sold? And by who?

Back