One Length Irons Thread: Join the Revolution

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Let me start by saying the title is done in jest, but meant to be fun. For those that listen to Off Course, you probably heard I am taking a One Length Challenge so to speak and thought a fun thread to document the process would be interesting and others that are doing so can jump in or if you have questions feel free to ask away.

Some brief history. I am one of the few that played the EQL set of single length irons decades ago. It was my second John Hoeflich design as I played Tommy Armour 845 irons prior to that. They were in a nutshell not great and I ended up back in variable length for decades until now. I dabbled in each of the last few Cobra One Length offerings and even jumped into an Edel Single Length briefly, but with each one, I ended up going in a different direction.

Fast forward to now and I have a set of Cobra RADSPEED One Length in the bag for several weeks now and I have not missed a beat.

I had thought about a two length set previously playing longer irons at the 7 iron length and then shorter irons at the 9 iron length, but after spending time with some very smart people, decided against it. I am of the belief that One Length should not be just a fix to make long irons shorter and then want variable everywhere else. The goal to get one swing, for all of the irons and wedges that you full swing makes a ton of sense in my weird brain.

I had a thought of going a little shorter however, since one of my major hurdles previously was the wedges in 7 iron length. So speaking with Mike Yagley at Cobra and Facetiming with their fitters, we settled on a length that was roughly my 8 iron in my previous set of irons and the Cobra RADSPEED One Length are paired with a custom set of UST Mamiya Recoil Proto 95s in F4. For those into the club making side of things, yes a shim was needed and swing weight might need to be altered for some (easy fix with their new system).

First range testing in the THP Tech Studio, it was a little weird not standing further from the ball based on the club in my hand. To combat that, I placed all of the clubs sole down and just grabbed and hit, without knowing what was what on the simulator range. Sorting out the distances afterwards, but doing so just to get comfortable with it. My set is 5-GW in irons, a 4 RADSPEED One Length Hybrid and a 56 degree One Length Wedge. What I I found is none of them really bothered me at the 8 iron length and where I thought I would have concerns, in the PW, GW and 56, it was not really an issue at all in terms of comfort.

Now that the comfort was out of the way, I put them to the test on the course as well as dozens of range time in the Tech Studio. One Length was starting to really show some light as I had no gapping issues at all and more importantly to me, saw a launch and ball flight I was very happy with. To get another perspective, I had THPer @JDax come to the Tech Studio, as he has never tried One Length before and with no warmup, just start playing and he too, confirmed that gapping was no issue.

Rounding out my set I did add one variable length 62 degree wedge. Its a wedge I use around the greens and never full swing it, so have no concerns there.

This thread will serve as a journey of sorts for me to share my thoughts and data and review the Cobra RADSPEED One Length irons. Get ready for a fun ride and you might just be joining the revolution soon. Here are a few images and a lot more will be coming throughout this thread.

IMG_0745.jpeg

IMG_0748.jpeg

IMG_0746.jpeg

IMG_0747.jpeg

Whoa, the Hammock Beach Custom Recoils in the new RAD irons? That's a helluva nice looking combo :love:

I've said it before but I'm so interested in this and frustrated I didn't jump in last year. @oumagic 's write-up was awesome as well.

Can't wait to see others and their experience. One day, maybe sooner rather than later, I will be tempted by the dark side. :starwars:

• Admin
Whoa, the Hammock Beach Custom Recoils in the new RAD irons? That's a helluva nice looking combo :love:

Mine are a little different in that they don't have a brand name other than THP on there, but I agree, one heck of an awesome combo.

This is going to be a fun follow. I've been following other members on their OL journey and it keeps intriguing me. I'm glad you mentioned having a VL wedge for around the green. I've always thought this would make sense, since your set up for these shots are different than normal full swings.

5837ACA9-7559-468C-90B8-7049C8E5D270.gif
How many will join you?

Great read, and look at the cool shafts from the event! This is going to be a fun thread, the OL irons are intriguing to me.
If a person has some chipping issues, could they possible benefit from OL irons? I realize it’s a chipping issue but I’m thinking more mechanics and having a longer 9-pw-sw whatever the case may be. I think one could benefit.
Either way.. this will be a thread to follow!

I’m not opposed to giving it a go, but I’d want to be fitted for sure before making that commitment.

Interested to see your results & comments as you proceed through the challenge. OLI have peeked my interest since we had the opportunity to hit them in Chicago. Unfortunately Ive never pulled the trigger & it may happen with the new RadSpeed irons.

Looking forward to following JB.

What is the exact length of the irons?

The custom recoils look really good in there

The one length Revolution makes a lot of sense! Make the same swing time after time! I was chatting with someone that was having and issue with his driver because he was working so hard on his iron swing and I said to him, golf would be so much easier with just 1 swing. OL doesn’t completely take that problem out of the game but it eliminates it for most of the bag!

For anyone joining The Morgan Cup this year, it would be a good idea to give this a go!

Will be interesting to follow. Do you think that it will feel as comfortable when you get out on the course vs the sim? Specifically those 50-60 wedge shots?

I've tried some OL clubs multiple times. Last year I hit half a bucket with a OL 4 iron and I couldn't hit it for anything, couldn't elevate the ball, always felt like contact was bad, etc. My 4i is a weapon typically and I couldn't have that at all and the wedges are a big concern for me personally as well.

I played the Wishon Sterlings when they came out and settled for my 8i length on those as well (36.75i), I also found that 7i in the wedges would've been too much. With loft tweaks I got a pretty functional set from them. With the tech improving I am definitely intrigued in OL again. Black PVD anyone?

I’m not opposed to giving it a go, but I’d want to be fitted for sure before making that commitment.

How would you get fit for this? Asking you personally as you already know which shafts will be going on, being Recoil Protos. After that, they are all the same length. I understand the testing period, definitely, but other than length (which for most will be 7 iron), what part of the fitting process would intrigue?

Subscribing for this OL journey. I think the 8i length makes sense to me for the reasons described. I am not sure if a 4h at 8i length would short circuit my feeble brain, LOL. Fascinating from a ball control potential, to have a short shaft in a 4h.

Now my gears are all turning about finding a OL hybrid to demo at the golf store, so get some dispersion comparo's going.

enjoyed the ready, JB. This is intriguing, I think there is a barrier of entry for the weekend golfer. Time, understanding, stigma all play a part.

Will be interesting to follow. Do you think that it will feel as comfortable when you get out on the course vs the sim? Specifically those 50-60 wedge shots?

I've tried some OL clubs multiple times. Last year I hit half a bucket with a OL 4 iron and I couldn't hit it for anything, couldn't elevate the ball, always felt like contact was bad, etc. My 4i is a weapon typically and I couldn't have that at all and the wedges are a big concern for me personally as well.

Had no issue at the regular range.
As mentioned, I kept a 62* wedge for touch shots, but have no issue with the 8 iron length in play on touch shots so far.

How would you get fit for this? Asking you personally as you already know which shafts will be going on, being Recoil Protos. After that, they are all the same length. I understand the testing period, definitely, but other than length (which for most will be 7 iron), what part of the fitting process would intrigue?

When I considered this I wondered about lie angles and if they would be different from my current set up. Recoils would go for sure, but would want to know mentally that the lies fit my game.

When I considered this I wondered about lie angles and if they would be different from my current set up. Recoils would go for sure, but would want to know mentally that the lies fit my game.

What lie angle do you like on your 7 iron. Okay done.

What lie angle do you like on your 7 iron. Okay done.

Gotcha. I’m currently playing them at 1.5 up. I guess it makes sense it wouldn’t change anything. Just over thinking on my part.

Gotcha. I’m currently playing them at 1.5 up. I guess it makes sense it wouldn’t change anything. Just over thinking on my part.

Genuinely I think that is natural with change. My thought process I outlined above with starting with the irons sole down and just hitting was pretty eye opening and confirming that as long as gapping was there and ball flight matched what I needed, I would be okay. The rest fell into place.

what type of distance gains/losses are you seeing with the clubs that are above/below standard? 5 yards or so, or more?

what type of distance gains/losses are you seeing with the clubs that are above/below standard? 5 yards or so, or more?

None. Well actually about 5 yards of distance per club over my previous set, but I saw that with brief testing of RADSPEED variable length as well.

I'm super interested in investigating this next year, whether it be the RAD Speed irons, or the new Kings. I know I'd asked this before in another thread, but I'll add it here again so it's all in one place. Is the 8i length option something that's fairly standard or is that a special custom? I've always been so much more comfortable swinging my 8 than my 7, and might make the transition down to PW seem easier.

I'm super interested in investigating this next year, whether it be the RAD Speed irons, or the new Kings. I know I'd asked this before in another thread, but I'll add it here again so it's all in one place. Is the 8i length option something that's fairly standard or is that a special custom? I've always been so much more comfortable swinging my 8 than my 7, and might make the transition down to PW seem easier.

I believe it would be a custom order, but can be done.
Their new screw system definitely makes swing weight easier when changing length or shafts.

Back