TaylorMade Releases Spider FCG Putter

Rolled a few putts with this. Super surprised how small the head actually is on this putter! Love the alignment. Rolls extremely well. Felt too light! Wouldn’t drop $350 on it.
A50D3052-1A63-4920-8EEC-4ED09F04412F.jpeg9EE72D8F-8E43-47E8-98FA-5C9DA0A83DC5.jpeg

Just read through the thread and it was interesting seeing the early comments that it's basically a frontline. Given how particular people here are about look at address, sound and feel, alignment aids, etc with putters I mean. All of those things are miles apart from a Cero, which I would call Cleveland's closest of this ilk. Not saying one's better than the other, just fairly different I think.

So anyway, I picked one up recently to play around with and surely sabotage some scores and putting stats. :p The color scheme suits me and I wanted a mallet looking one to try.

My take is that it feels very light (instant first reaction), the face has a unique feel I don't think many people want (I kinda like hard and dead, lol), feels unnecessarily unstable with the skinny *ss grip on that head/shaft combo, and the SHAFT is just a wtf'er for me. I play 35" CT Tour putter shafts with various heads, and I don't know if there's some kind of made-for something happening on this one, but it's softer/more active with more of a weird feel than any of mine. I played a few rounds with the stock setup and didn't hate it, but just went choptastic on a couple and put together a 350 head with a brushed black CT Tour and Traxion Pistol GT 1.0 playing at 34.5" and it's night and day. Take the wiggle and feedback out of the shaft and it feels waaay better off the face, more stable with the new grip, and about 35g heavier overall and near same SW. I dig it. I won't get a chance to put it back into playing rotation until the holidays probably, but I'm excited to get it out there now.

20201209_123522.jpg

I don't think I'll miss the gloss black on the shaft either. The brushed matches the head better.

Reactions: MH
Swapped grips to try for a little different hand feel for a bit, but putting it back in play. Been rolling it way to well with my normal putter, so time seems right for a change.

I've apparently found a groove with the modified FCG. It's been pretty lights out lately. Added about 2.5* of loft and lean it just a little more than my blades, and it gets a really sweet roll. Thought it was going to be a fun experiment but it's definitely earning consideration for a long term place in the bag.

Feels like I'm the only one I ever seen in the wild playing it, so it must not be very popular. I see Morikawa with it, but that feels like more of a 😕. Lol. Morikawa is about the only other person I ever see playing P7MC too, so :confused2:.

View attachment 8978851

I don't think I'll miss the gloss black on the shaft either. The brushed matches the head better.

First, that was a putter I liked during my PGATSS putter exploration time. The alignment is super easy and the feel and roll was solid. It did suffer a bit in my interest due to a puzzling lack of fanfare and usage. Great to see someone using it.

As to your modifications, how the heck do you change out the shaft and weight? I can find the KBS shaft you mention but picking which one (straight, single bend, double bend) is not obvious to me and then how to set that up is even less obvious. 😬 And I assume there are weight options? I don’t think I will pick up one of these, although my golf brain came well equipped with impulse buying mode. I would like to start tinkering with clubs and putter could be a fun place to start. A learning experiment might be fun. Thanks!

I've apparently found a groove with the modified FCG. It's been pretty lights out lately. Added about 2.5* of loft and lean it just a little more than my blades, and it gets a really sweet roll. Thought it was going to be a fun experiment but it's definitely earning consideration for a long term place in the bag.

Feels like I'm the only one I ever seen in the wild playing it, so it must not be very popular. I see Morikawa with it, but that feels like more of a 😕. Lol. Morikawa is about the only other person I ever see playing P7MC too, so :confused2:.

Good stuff. It’s amazing how much a different shaft such as a CT Tour can change the feel of a putter. I just ordered another 4 KBS putter shafts and am looking forward to experimenting with their One Step, probably first in a Toulon Austin head.

I’m surprised to see TaylorMade go this route based on the weighting convention of some of their other more popular models. That in mind I think it’s great to see their version of it.

also, copper insert? Very cool.

First, that was a putter I liked during my PGATSS putter exploration time. The alignment is super easy and the feel and roll was solid. It did suffer a bit in my interest due to a puzzling lack of fanfare and usage. Great to see someone using it.

As to your modifications, how the heck do you change out the shaft and weight? I can find the KBS shaft you mention but picking which one (straight, single bend, double bend) is not obvious to me and then how to set that up is even less obvious. 😬 And I assume there are weight options? I don’t think I will pick up one of these, although my golf brain came well equipped with impulse buying mode. I would like to start tinkering with clubs and putter could be a fun place to start. A learning experiment might be fun. Thanks!
My putters mod'ing has been a slow learning experiment (I try to keep the putter part of the bag pretty steady usually), that honestly started just based on looks. I like my blacks. Haha Pretty sure I bought the wrong sized shaft for one along the way at some point, set one up with the exact same weight, swing weight, balance point, etc hoping it would perform the same as another (did not), and have ruined a couple grips by thinking I had a setup just right, but didn't. Luckily toe hang putter shaft shapes are pretty easy.

This one I recently changed in a little different way for someone (swap to 20g weight, stock grip and shaft but tipped 5/8") and it is almost identical to mine in feel. I honestly used to think the guys I'd read in here worrying about all this tiny stuff with a putters were mostly crazy. :p

Like @tahoebum said though it's really amazing how little things can make a big difference with them. The KBS CT Tour is definitely my go-to and has a noticeable effect on feel compared to some others. I just wanted to dip my toe into the mallet waters and this one seemed like a good start. It just definitely didn't work for me as well off the rack. Maybe partly because it's so different than my normal.

This is the stock grip one with the tipped shaft and 20g weight today. Little different sound and feel than I expect, even after using it for a while, but I like 'em.

@OldandStiff every time I go to the PGA store this is the first putter I grab to roll. I do like it alot and want to convince myself to buy it but when it first released my initial reaction was "wow this is super light." Id probably have to put a shaft in it like you did

Love the shape behind the ball and the alignment. Face feels good. but the combo of this shaft and super skinny grip is a very odd combo. I dunno if TM makes weights for this one but its something I would need to look at before buying one

@OldandStiff every time I go to the PGA store this is the first putter I grab to roll. I do like it alot and want to convince myself to buy it but when it first released my initial reaction was "wow this is super light." Id probably have to put a shaft in it like you did

Love the shape behind the ball and the alignment. Face feels good. but the combo of this shaft and super skinny grip is a very odd combo. I dunno if TM makes weights for this one but its something I would need to look at before buying one
The replacement weights for a bunch of theirs fit these, but yeah, the grip and shaft you'd probably want to dial in too if it felt light. I don't think you can order them custom, from them at least, but I could be wrong on that.

How does one go about getting that custom grip? Looks sweet!

You can get them on the Superstroke website under 'customize your grip'. I know it's available for the Pistol GT's, Tours, Claws, etc. It's only a couple bucks maybe? Just have to upload an image and it'll show you what it will look like. (y)

Finally pulled the trigger on this one and so excited for it to come in! If you have an alternate email you can use it as a "referral" and get a link for $30 off so why not??

Every time I go to the store I walk straight to this putter and proceed to drain putts. I try everything else while im there to make sure im not seeing a fluke with the FCG but it continues to perform. I didnt order anything custom so hopefully it ships very soon before my California trip where ill be playing Torrey, Aviara, and La Costa. Will be a great test to see how it performs on some true greens

@OldandStiff is it a .355 shaft?? First thing I plan on doing is swapping shafts

wow this putter was an absolute game changer for me this weekend. 28 putts saturday morning and even the misses were within inches. For me its the best roll ive seen or gotten from a putter before

I ended up putting a white pearl KBS CT tour shaft in there and for whatever reason the putter seems heavier now...which is a good thing! When I would use this in the store I always commented how light it was. the new shaft with a midsize grip makes this feel more stable and heavier throughout the stroke.

I have a putter problem and for some reason have bought 2 other putters after 28 putts the first time out with this. I really like everything about this putter and feel very confident with it

Ive now played 4 rounds with it and have not gone over 32 putts (im a terrible putter so im usually happy with 36 and down).

The FCG isn't as good looking as my phantom x5.5 or x11.5, but id argue its a better fit for me overall. It really puts such a good roll on the ball. On lag putts it seems to roll alot quicker vs the first few skipping like I typically see on longs putts. I really prefer the feel of this insert and smaller head shape compared to the rest of the Spider lineup

ive got 2 Scotty Camerons getting customized and stability shafts put in.... while those are getting finished, the FCG is giving me no reason to take it out of the bag. I have never putted so well before until gaming the FCG. 31 putts on saturday leading to a 73.

I hit 12 of 18 greens and scrambled my way back to save par on all but one. 8 to 10 foot putts used to be hoping I make them. Now I expect to make it every time bc im so confident

This putter puts such a good roll on the ball. Ive noticed alot more rolling compared to skipping the first few feet like previous putters.

also judging by the last 4 posts ive noticed im pretty much talking to myself lol... ill quote my own post and keep this thread going!

Well @will brought these up for the first time in ages, and I missed @jfrigo1003 's posts. It's nice to see a couple people enjoying it.

I haven't played mine in a while. I found what I'd been looking for and it's entrenched. I can't bring myself to sell my FCG though. At some point I'll get to goof around and play different stuff again, and I really do like it compared to other mallet like stuff. It was fun to read back through my impressions and tinkering to dial it in. That was a fun time.

Well @will brought these up for the first time in ages, and I missed @jfrigo1003 's posts. It's nice to see a couple people enjoying it.

I haven't played mine in a while. I found what I'd been looking for and it's entrenched. I can't bring myself to sell my FCG though. At some point I'll get to goof around and play different stuff again, and I really do like it compared to other mallet like stuff. It was fun to read back through my impressions and tinkering to dial it in. That was a fun time.

I'm really digging the FCG. I'm getting more confident with it every time I play. I'm probably going to change the grip at some point, though. I think a little larger grip will make it even more stable for me. I'm a little surprised that more people aren't using the FCG, but I guess the look and feel of it might turn some people off.

Took the FCG yesterday for the first time in AGES. It was fun! And super weird. :LOL:

Felt a little wiggly with it and stance and eye line and everything took some adjustment, but it's still a good putter. I forgot how solid mine feels off the face. Really liked that. Was an interesting round, so can't judge much from 25 total putts, but dropped a 10, 15, and 30 that were pretty sweet and it got more familiar as I went. Could still totally play that thing. Kinda glad I never sold it.

These are on sale today at PGA store for $149!!!! Absolutely picking one up again. Honestly the best putter ive rolled this year by a mile but it doesnt look cool so had to get rid of it right?! lol

This is a steal!

**TODAY ONLY** $149.99!!!😳😳😳

Back