The Home Renovation Thread

Deck looks good. Are you going to put on railings?
Thanks! Not in the plans right now, it’s less than 18 inches from deck to yard. I actually like no railing. It’s much more open and feels bigger although the dogs are jumping off every side like maniacs. And we likely intend to change the footprint in the next 5 years if we stay in the home permanently.

Thanks! Not in the plans right now, it’s less than 18 inches from deck to yard. I actually like no railing. It’s much more open and feels bigger although the dogs are jumping off every side like maniacs. And we likely intend to change the footprint in the next 5 years if we stay in the home permanently.
18" isn't too bad to the ground. Hope it works for you. I know for me, I'd forget there's an edge to the deck on some night and fall off the end. :ROFLMAO:

Just supporting roof. That engineering aspect will start to get addressed today. I may end up with a beam and 2 posts, depending on how much I want to spend.
With that big a space, I would be wanting to know that the ceiling isn't going to come down so don't try to do it on the cheap

The steel we needed for our extension was a big chunk of the cost as the walls that were removed were external and had rooms above them so they had to be put in to support the upper floor and roof - one steel was about 4m long and the other was about 3.5m to form a T shape

Wild winter weather can bite me. Been laid up the last week because of the moisture, but I’ve got a 6 day window now to finish sheathing the walls, build out the soffits, then get the damn wood on the roof and tape it all off.

Some of this has been tedious because they built the building taller than 8ft originally and there’s no 9ft OSB to be found around here, so it’s been more complicated piecing things in than it should be.

Also there originally were no soffits, but I want the finished look for Amanda and not the shed look, so built they will be.

I do enjoy this. It’s a sense of purpose and passion, love building things with my own hands.

1" rip cuts anybody? :surrender:

KIMG4271.JPG

Anyone able to chip in some info here? For my basement door that needs replacing, do I measure the rough opening from the Red or Blue line? Also my door jamb is the black line correct?

Anyone able to chip in some info here? For my basement door that needs replacing, do I measure the rough opening from the Red or Blue line? Also my door jamb is the black line correct?

Picture?

Made some progress this past week. Got a good chunk of drywall up, installed the new backdoor. Have some small sections of ceiling left open due to the fact I want a super secure railing on the floor above so I'm planning on running supports into the floor beams and through the subfloor to slide the newel posts over. Looking at figuring out my spacing and everything this weekend so that I can finish the rest of the drywall, mud and tape, then cut the hole for where my stairs are. New carpet coming in about three weeks and the wife wants mud and tape done before we cut the hole for the stairs, and the stairs will be carpeted as well so the hole needs to be cut before the carpet installers get there. Should be a fun few weeks,

1608747222710.png

Told my wife to not come down to open the back door... with my luck she would come busting through before it was cut.

1608747269858.png

Does anyone have under cabinet lighting? It’s something I’m considering in the new year.

Does anyone have under cabinet lighting? It’s something I’m considering in the new year.
We have lights under the cupboards above our worktop if that is what you are looking for?

We have lights under the cupboards above our worktop if that is what you are looking for?
I guess I should have specified although it may be the same lighting. Looking at under cabinet lighting for the kitchen.

I guess I should have specified although it may be the same lighting. Looking at under cabinet lighting for the kitchen.
This is what we have had fitted when the new kitchen was installed

20201224_142528.jpg

20201224_142537_HDR.jpg

20201224_142555.jpg

Are those wired in through the piece of wood in the back?
Yes, they are wired through that bit of trunking, then up the back of the cupboard to the power supply at the top

The only issue we had is that the sticky pads that you can use to attach them didn't want to stick properly, so they are screwed to the bottom of the cupboard with tiny screws that are an absolute pain to fit

All cupboard lights are on a seperate switch, so we have three switches for the kitchen lights, one for these lights (and there is another one under the cupboard on the opposite side of the kitchen) and then another 2 switches for the ceiling lights as they are split into 2 zones

Cupboard lights off

20201224_143415.jpg

Cupboard lights on

20201224_143425.jpg

Yes, they are wired through that bit of trunking, then up the back of the cupboard to the power supply at the top

The only issue we had is that the sticky pads that you can use to attach them didn't want to stick properly, so they are screwed to the bottom of the cupboard with tiny screws that are an absolute pain to fit

All cupboard lights are on a seperate switch, so we have three switches for the kitchen lights, one for these lights (and there is another one under the cupboard on the opposite side of the kitchen) and then another 2 switches for the ceiling lights as they are split into 2 zones

Cupboard lights off

View attachment 8983058

Cupboard lights on

View attachment 8983059
Thanks they look great!

We spent about another $700 getting under cabinet led strips hard wired in when we did our old kitchen remodel. Totally worth it!!! Lighting under the cabinet is a huge upgrade and looks great, especially at night when you just need some soft light going on.
13F0B77D-A474-4459-A6AD-86B9E4B2D22E.jpeg

My wife and I are going to be contracting out our bathroom to be remodeled, for those that have done it what cost and how difficult was putting in a hideaway door?

The closet is connected to the bathroom and would like a hideaway door vs opening into the bathroom.

Back