Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

I guess by that process, every iron is geared towards a different player

I can't really tell where you're wanting this to go. Maybe it's a semantic thing. Have you spent time with? Hit them against the Tours? What did you think?

I can't really tell where you're wanting this to go. Maybe it's a semantic thing. Have you spent time with? Hit them against the Tours?
Yes sir.

I figured I had to be missing something, so much so that I grabbed each head and found myself measuring literally every angle of mass.

I just don’t see it, and that’s okay. I think they are very much geared towards the same golfer.

Yes sir.

I figured I had to be missing something, so much so that I grabbed each head and found myself measuring literally every angle of mass.

I just don’t see it, and that’s okay. I think they are very much geared towards the same golfer.

So by your measurements they are super close.

So by your measurements they are super close.
It depends on who’s hands, but from a who they are designed for golfer “mass”. Yes.

It depends on who’s hands, but from a who they are designed for golfer “mass”. Yes.

I am talking actually hard measurements. Sole width, blade length, offset. I know the srixon a have stronger lofts.

I am talking actually hard measurements. Sole width, blade length, offset. I know the srixon a have stronger lofts.
I can post the measurements I grabbed tomorrow if you would like. I did 5 iron to 5 iron with the micrometer.

:oops:

I don't get that one. Nothing about the offset seems out of place to me.

I have pictures of the ZX7 next to the Tours, because they're really similar size. Did I not post them? It fascinated me because they're similar looks, but geared towards pretty different players, I think.
I love this discussion because you're the first one to suggest otherwise.

Do you have that pic? I've only had the Tours in hand but have a pretty good idea of the 7 series from Srixon and just assumed they fell under the same player style.

I would think the one big difference would be the v sole, yeah?
That’s pretty much where I stand. I’m curious as someone that has hit the 785 and played the Tours, would you consider them as clubs for different golfers?

I can post the measurements I grabbed tomorrow if you would like. I did 5 iron to 5 iron with the micrometer.

Would love that. The majority are available online.. but I would love to see your numbers

For the discussion that is happening. I see them as targeted to the same segment of golfer speaking specifically of the x7s. Your low handicap player. While they may not fit the same player or style. Which is nice because.. options.

I have hit both. I have very little experience with the x7s but I preferred them to the tours. I liked the shape and turf interaction. The v sole I think is awesome.

I understand what @OldandStiff is saying. One golfer may not like both because of design differences.

Would love that. The majority are available online.. but I would love to see your numbers

For the discussion that is happening. I see them as targeted to the same segment of golfer speaking specifically of the x7s. Your low handicap player. While they may not fit the same player or style. Which is nice because.. options.

I have hit both. I have very little experience with the x7s but I preferred them to the tours. I liked the shape and turf interaction. The v sole I think is awesome.
I believe you said better what I was trying to say.

Interestingly enough, both were pretty spot on to spec. Which is good. Because a few times this year (I’m looking at you Taylormade) the specs were way off.

Oof, in for the night.

Yeah, I think it's just a semantic thing. Segment, demograghic, player, etc. We all know who they're targeted at. I think that a higher spin player and lower spin player or shallow player vs. steeper one would view and appreciate them (or not) differently is all. And those are phrases we use to describe different players usually, so that's what I meant.

I can really only know me though. I'm not a high spin player. That always feels weird to say though, because I spin the **** out of my short irons. But as a not 'high spin player' in the mid irons, I noticed lower spin on monitor with them vs. the tours, and have noticed less spin, more carry, and less stopping power for me since my first couple shots on course with the ZX7 compared to my irons I get more similar numbers to the Tours with on monitor. I don't usually run into spin numbers like that until I get into irons that offer a little more help or specific tech usually. I hit 2 separate 8 irons today that were right at 180 yd (that's real long for me), and both rolled out a bit. On holes and greens I've played with a lot of other cavity back irons. And those are results, consistent with my observations since my first time out, that are a little different than some in the same category. So I, me, don't think some lower spin players, who have a concern about that, will be best suited to them.

I hadn't had them on monitor yet when I played them, and I don't really pay much attention to review stuff until after either. Just the initial hype stuff and the article here. So I was surprised a bit by some stuff, but it was backed up by my numbers on monitor, and just about every review I've seen since has put has them on the lower side of spin for the style/type of irons. Anyone can check them out. Not saying it's good or bad, and makes sense to me for the lofts and build of them. They'll be a great fit for lots of players.

All my reactions along the way are in here. I don't think they've changed too much. I think they're long for the style, lower spinning than I'm used to lately, feel great, give fantastic feedback, go through the turf like a dream, look sharp, clean off well, are very soft, etc etc. I totally love the V Sole on them, which seems even better than the 785's, because I have a very forward low point, with a fairly strong AoA, and can't remember my last fat shot. They're perfect for me. I do not miss bouncing out or getting stuck when I play them. Not one bit. lol So honestly as a fit, they're a bit of a conundrum for me, but I've really enjoyed my rounds out there with them.

Last edited:
Which is what I had come in here to say originally. I played these again today. With my ball (TP5) this time. Noticed the same things I've been noticing with that combo. Yardages, flights, and holds in line. I hit those 8 irons obviously, a bunch of others, including a 220 yard 6 iron that I fully expected to be short on, but thought it was the longest club I could go to and still clear the trees at the corner. Worked out brilliantly. Right edge of the green, 30" away for an eagle try. Felt fantastic, and I was shouting about it in the Live Round thread.

I just stopped to see if I could grab some ProV1x, but they were out. I think I have a couple of the new Chromesoft X kicking around here that I've been putting with, so IF I do, and IF the rain holds off long enough in the morning, 😕, I'm going to take them out one more time with that ball before I hang them up for a bit and wait on you all to get to hit them.

Big fan overall. Seem like more of improvement to me than some reviews are saying. The feel especially seems better than the 785's. I didn't hit them a ton before now, but I've compared them shot to shot indoors a few times recently and they feel different to me. I've really taken to the shape at address, but I wish the shorter irons got just a little bit smaller. Tiny gripe, and totally individual.

Hoping the rain holds off so I can hit them with the chromesoft a bit.

Oh, and I DID buy and put some iron covers on them. So if you're not a fan of anything I've said in here, just add that to your bag and beat me with it like Homie D. Clown. I have never used iron covers until now, and have bashed them mercilessly, so have at it. :LOL:

sidenote - iron covers are a pain in the *SS. How do you crazies put up with that nonsense?! I honestly feel like they affect pace of play. I have a whole new level of hate for them.

Last edited:
In other words.....ready to move on?!
Just for now. Finally put another set back together I want to play, and will be traveling so going to let someone else give them a shot for a bit. I'm ready to hear some feedback from all you guys on them. The whole not for North America yet things is crap. I'm excited to hear what more of you think when they hit stores.

Last edited:
@OldandStiff remind me of your preferred gamer ball referenced earlier?

Jeeebus. I sometimes wonder if I make and correct more typos and grammatical errors than anyone else on the forum. Cleaning this stuff takes almost as much time as swype'ing it in the first place.

It's like playing with irons covers, really. :p

Okay so these irons arrived today for me to play for a week or two before I have to send them back to the owner. Well maybe I will, bribes may be involved it they are really as good as the 765's where.
Opening the box and just the looks alone these are better than the 765's where. I took a few yard swings (Modus 120S) and they feel great, a little head heavy compared to my EF irons.
Can't wait to get these on the course Thursday and see how they play.

I definitely still want to spend time with a full set of 7’s, just to get a feel for the whole shebang.

Okay so these irons arrived today for me to play for a week or two before I have to send them back to the owner. Well maybe I will, bribes may be involved it they are really as good as the 765's where.
Opening the box and just the looks alone these are better than the 765's where. I took a few yard swings (Modus 120S) and they feel great, a little head heavy compared to my EF irons.
Can't wait to get these on the course Thursday and see how they play.
Cant wait to hear more on these! I loved my 565/765, so I'm excited for the comparisons.

If I could find an LH demo 7i in the zx5, that would be fantastical.

Oh I gathered that from your comments, and what Noelle said on OffCourse! Just love hearing more and more. This ZX set is so pleasing to the eye, and add in the Mainframe in the 5 series, I can only imagine how good they are!

I definitely still want to spend time with a full set of 7’s, just to get a feel for the whole shebang.
I have 4-PW so should be interesting for sure. I haven't hit a 4 iron in a couple years would only be a tee option for me but even that is unlikely. Probably just take 5-PW to the course.

Back