Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
What makes life easier on a golf course than a dependable distance device? Perhaps one that talks to you. 

Voice Caddie has evolved into a company offering all sorts of distance products, be it GPS, rangefinders, or even their swing data devices. What started it all for them however is in their name, literally, Voice Caddie. 

Voice-Caddie-VC4-1.jpg

The VC series of hat clip GPS devices brought hands free and intuitive distance information to the masses, and here at THP we have reviewed the previous models, in fact one of my first reviews some seven years ago was the VC300 here. Now, we have the new VC4 in hand to put it through its paces; read on for more.

Quick Take

Not the smallest hat-clip GPS device, but the somewhat...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Good read. I have been curious about these for a while as the winter rolls around and my course is cart path only and has GPS built into carts.

• Staff
Good read. I have been curious about these for a while as the winter rolls around and my course is cart path only and has GPS built into carts.
It works well, and I still think the way they got slope to work has to be part magic. :ROFLMAO:

Only knock I have remains that it’s much bigger than I expected, and borderline huge on a hat. They say not to, but by the end of the review I was just clipping it on my shorts pocket.

Did not know they were coming out with a new one, so glad to see this. Sounds interesting although my "home" course has 3 nines, I wonder how easy it would be to boot up? May have to just get one and check it out, great read

Great write up @Jman!!! You are very generous in your description of the size based on that photo. My golf buddies would definitely give me a ribbing if I had that on my hat 😆. Looks more belt chippy to me. Would it hold up there? The features sound amazing for the price though.

Did not know they were coming out with a new one, so glad to see this. Sounds interesting although my "home" course has 3 nines, I wonder how easy it would be to boot up? May have to just get one and check it out, great read

The last model they had worked pretty well with my old course that had three nines.

• Staff
Great write up @Jman!!! You are very generous in your description of the size based on that photo. My golf buddies would definitely give me a ribbing if I had that on my hat 😆. Looks more belt chippy to me. Would it hold up there? The features sound amazing for the price though.
They state not having it on hat can effect signal, but I’ve put it on a pocket as well as my belt and didn’t have any issues. My main track though has a pretty good GPS signal.

It’s definitely not small. :ROFLMAO:

Sounds like a nifty device. It does look a little odd, due to the size, on the bill of a cap. But, hey, as long as it helps you on the course, it is something that can be easily overcome.

They state not having it on hat can effect signal, but I’ve put it on a pocket as well as my belt and didn’t have any issues. My main track though has a pretty good GPS signal.

It’s definitely not small. :ROFLMAO:

I walk 99% of the time so wonder if it would be better to clip to the cart strap on the Bagboy QUAD?

Appreciate the review. The control buttons are on the side of the device, right? Also, what all is “active green” information? Thanks.

My dad used one of the first integration of these from voice caddie and he really liked it. Very simple way to get green distancing without needing to use much technology knowledge or complicated hardware. I bet with this new generation the program is even more intuitive and reliable. It’s a great device for those not looking to get all the data or use the more complicated gps devices. Perfect for walking

You know that weird feeling when your wearing your hat and it feel crooked or something, how much does this thing weigh? It’s kind of large looking and I feel like it would weigh down one side of the hat?

This is interesting, seems like something my father would really enjoy

It works well, and I still think the way they got slope to work has to be part magic. :ROFLMAO:

Only knock I have remains that it’s much bigger than I expected, and borderline huge on a hat. They say not to, but by the end of the review I was just clipping it on my shorts pocket.
That's what I was coming here to ask. Nice review James. Honest opinion time now, do you think this is a good replacement for a range finder with slope in the same price category? As in, what would you rather see your students use?

Great write up. My old boss had the first version and swore by it.

I think because he played the same 2 courses all the time made more of an impact than the device itself because he already knew the hazards and the green complexes.

One issue I’ve had with my GPS is that on the rare chance (Ha!) that my ball winds up on a parallel fairway, the unit thinks I’m playing a different hole and gives me distance to a different green. By looking at the device, I can correct it, but with no screen, how do you know that you and the voice caddie are playing the same hole?

One issue I’ve had with my GPS is that on the rare chance (Ha!) that my ball winds up on a parallel fairway, the unit thinks I’m playing a different hole and gives me distance to a different green. By looking at the device, I can correct it, but with no screen, how do you know that you and the voice caddie are playing the same hole?
It changes at tee boxes. On my home course we have a hole that I intentionally play down another fairway, it didn’t have an issue with it. (y)

I purchased a VC4 and find it easy to use and a more accurate than my garmin wrist gps. However, I can't figure out how to turn off the VC4. Can you explain how to.

I have the vc400 works great. I need to find out if you can recharge any where but through a computer?

Interesting. Good write-up, James. Sounds like you gave it a really thorough testing. I have one friend who I think might like the convenience of it, but the audio level is always a concern for him. He's hearing impaired (but wears hearing aids), and hates handheld devices. We don't have a lot of wind here, so it could work. Might have to all pitch in get him one just to see, and if it doesn't work out we're not out that much. How would you guess the durability would be? I have this image of it getting pulled off the brim and put in a golf bag pocket after the round, and riding home like that.

Product is good, but tech support is impossible to get. I want to turn it off at the end of a round to save battery, but that doesn't seem to be an option. It uses 20% of charge before it turns itself off. I would also like to turn the volume up, but that doesn't appear possible. Since nobody answers the phone or returns a call at V C, can anyone help?

Bicycle Benny,
I have the VC4 and to turn it off just hold down the power button on the bottom (same button you turned it on with) until it gives you a little tune. The volume is 7 positions, once it is on, press the ?, ? to adjust the volume.

Product is good, but tech support is impossible to get. I want to turn it off at the end of a round to save battery, but that doesn't seem to be an option. It uses 20% of charge before it turns itself off. I would also like to turn the volume up, but that doesn't appear possible. Since nobody answers the phone or returns a call at V C, can anyone help?
The user manual can be found on the Voice Caddie website, which explains all the functions, including the ones you're looking for.

Ordered VC4 three weeks ago. Used 2 times so far.. my scores have dropped twice since using because I am able to tell where the front and back of the greens are located. Slope seems to work well.. Only issue i had was if you skip a tee box if youre walking with a friend watching a tournament and wondered into the next fairway I wasnt able to advance it to the next hole other than turning it off and rebooting till i get to the next tee. Wish it had an “advance to the next hole” function so i could locate the next green or fairway nemerically other than that i love the device. Makes my decisions much easier

Purchase one for my wife in 2021. Maybe used 50 rounds over the last 2 years.
We liked it when it worked. Lately even though it charges and works well when
I can turn it on,,,It no longer turns on when depressing the on off button on the back side
of the device. Any suggestions? Only carries a 1 year warranty.
Because it no longer turns on in less than 3 years, it is not worth the money.
Any suggestions?
Pete

Back