TaylorMade Sim2 Driver Hits Conforming List

@JB the photo on the left looks like the entire bottom is carbon. Is that true? If so this could have a very interesting weight story with it.

I can't comment on much, but can say that there is a lot of carbon and weight will be part of the story.

Im not sure, but personally I think there is something different between attaching a numerical sequel to a name and creating a different name around the original. Just me though.
yea i hear ya. As in the example made above, its done with so many different tech related things like iphone etc etc etc i just dont see it as much of a misstep. Lazy marketing? maybe. but even that is questionable.

@JB the photo on the left looks like the entire bottom is carbon. Is that true? If so this could have a very interesting weight story with it.
the amount of weight saving by going full carbon has to be MASSIVE.

I can't comment on much, but can say that there is a lot of carbon and weight will be part of the story.
Cool, interested to see how this goes. Thanks for sharing.

It genuinely depends. Weight savings as a whole, most likely. To keep the weight low, you will have to add that back. Hope that makes sense.

yea i hear ya. As in the example made above, its done with so many different tech related things like iphone etc etc etc i just dont see it as much of a misstep. Lazy marketing? maybe. but even that is questionable.
It is reasonable to look at other places (like cars, iPhones, etc) vs looking around golf and the conditions of golf? I don't even think it is a misstep as TaylorMade has done it for years and years with the R and M lines - although I think this is the first time with something more than a letter leading the name.

I see where you're coming from. My question was more directly on the back to back, but like we've chatted about a bit, obviously names as a whole are used continuously by companies. Was just curious.

Also, what is Epic Speed?

Supposedly the new driver.. There have been many photos that have floated around instagram.

That's what I am thinking. Will be interested to see where they moved it around too. Also will be interesting to see how many Pros pick this up as a lot of free agents moved from SIM to TSi3. Maybe this moves them back.

It genuinely depends. Weight savings as a whole, most likely. To keep the weight low, you will have to add that back. Hope that makes sense.
I would assume the weight in the back is significant, as is the weight surrounding the faceplate. I would love to see the skeleton of this to see how it all gets put together.

is it fair to assume that they are....."cough cough" trying to move weight outwards like another OEM who just nailed that outta the park?

That's what I am thinking. Will be interested to see where they moved it around too. Also will be interesting to see how many Pros pick this up as a lot of free agents moved from SIM to TSi3. Maybe this moves them back.
Well, they have one of the pickiest golfers on the planet from a weight/feel/condition standpoint in Tiger. What he does and how he goes about it will be very interesting after some of the things I've read about his finite comprehension on head balance etc.

I would give it a spin. Does not appear to have any adjustable weights.
I noted the same thing. The standard Sim had the sliding weight up towards the face. If it is back in the heel, it would seem to be a higher spinning head than last year’s model. I sure don’t see it anywhere in the sole, though, which would make it the first TaylorMade standard head without a sliding weight system in several releases.

I would assume the weight in the back is significant, as is the weight surrounding the faceplate. I would love to see the skeleton of this to see how it all gets put together.

Correct. Removing all weight from the top and bottom sounds great, but you would quickly lose a low center of gravity. To combat that, tungsten and other materials are used to give a more precise location of weight. Can it work well? Absolutely. Partly dependent on construction and binders used to keep the whole thing together and where that leads to center of gravity when it is put together as one.

For years someone mentioned to me that eliminating everything, other than a tungsten sole would be a heck of a driver for amateurs (probably not legal either).

What are peoples thoughts on repeating a name?

Do you like the consistency?
Think it suggests not much has changed?
Don't care?
I don’t care much about names. Show me the offering is good and you can call it whatever you want.

What are peoples thoughts on repeating a name?

Do you like the consistency?
Think it suggests not much has changed?
Don't care?

I take it to mean there hasn't been much progression. A new name doesn't necessarily mean that a great leap has been made. It's all about selling a new club.

Correct. Removing all weight from the top and bottom sounds great, but you would quickly lose a low center of gravity. To combat that, tungsten and other materials are used to give a more precise location of weight. Can it work well? Absolutely. Partly dependent on construction and binders used to keep the whole thing together and where that leads to center of gravity when it is put together as one.

For years someone mentioned to me that eliminating everything, other than a tungsten sole would be a heck of a driver for amateurs (probably not legal either).

Its all the game that Yagley and @Canadan talked about. It is a game if robbing Peter to pay Paul. Save 2 grams here to put it there. I love that everyone (OEMs) is trying to find it and place it differently to optimize their drivers. It is partly what makes me laugh when I hear "all drivers are the same".. It really could not be further from the truth.

Last edited:
Upon further inspection it somewhat appears the metal may be encircling the carbon. So a circle metal frame with a carbon crown and sole maybe?

Also, I slept on TM SIM last year, but the FW's are the best on the market and almost everyone likes the drivers. I will not be sleeping on this line in 2021.

Its all the game that Yagley and @Canadan talked about. It is a game if robbing Peter to pay Paul. Same 2 grams here to put it there. I love that everyone (OEMs) is trying to find it and place it differently to optimize their drivers. It is partly what makes me laugh when I hear "all drivers are the same".. It really could not be further from the truth.

Very accurate.

TM always brings it with their woods, IMO. Doesn't mean they will be right for me, but there is usually something in their lineup that is really solid.

My prediction; SIM2 will launch and spin about the same as SIM but yield a couple yards of extra carry. SIM2 will have a love it or hate it sound due to the carbon sole and forged aluminum band where the sole and top of club join. SIM2 will be more stable and less fade bias than SIM due to the reorganizated weighting system.

Hoping they improved the sound with the next generation. Very nice driver, but wasn’t a fan of the sound of this one.
They better have left perfection alone. ;)

TM always brings it with their woods, IMO. Doesn't mean they will be right for me, but there is usually something in their lineup that is really solid.
Yup, in the end, they’ll be solid.

Are they as exciting as some other releases we are getting? Nope, not at the moment, not close imo, but they’ll be solid and fit some quite well.

That is a lot of carbon. I bet it will have a sweet muted feel. The name doesn't bother me whatsoever. I am liking what I am seeing so far. Will be dependent on how tall the face is if it's going to get a real look though. The paint on the Sim seemed to wrap into what I would consider as the top of the face. I know I am not supposed to hit a golf ball there, but hey, I am an weekend hacker. It would probably happen once in a while.

Its all the game that Yagley and @Canadan talked about. It is a game if robbing Peter to pay Paul. Save 2 grams here to put it there. I love that everyone (OEMs) is trying to find it and place it differently to optimize their drivers. It is partly what makes me laugh when I hear "all drivers are the same".. It really could not be further from the truth.
I love seeing how the companies go about it their own way in an attempt to come to (generally speaking) the same results.

Back