Greatest Western movie of all time

sposey013168

Reaction score
Handicap
@ddec and I were discussing this the other night and we can’t decide. I say the best is Rio Bravo with tombstone as number 2
What say THP

Tombstone, and it ain't even close.

Magnificent Seven.

Oh man.. I could go for days on westerns.. love this category of movies. I have watched them all dozens of times over..

But for my money it comes down to two.. or maybe three.

The searchers..for sure my fav.

Then these two..
The outlaw Josey wales.
The cowboys..

@ddec and I were discussing this the other night and we can’t decide. I say the best is Rio Bravo with tombstone as number 2
What say THP

Rio bravo is not even the best John Wayne western!!! But I do enjoy it.

Tombstone is a classic.. very good.

Gotta be tombstone

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

or

Unforgiven

Tombstone was great. But I think there is some recency bias there..

Val Kilmer made that movie what it was though. He was to tombstone what herb ledger was to the dark knight.

No blazing saddles fans?

The correct answer is The Searchers and it ain’t even close! High Noon, Unforgiven, Shane, Once Upon A Time In The West, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, Django Unchained are up there as well.

The Outlaw Josey Wales is certainly one of my favorites. Another is another Clint western: Pale Rider.

Wyatt Earp is a better movie than Tombstone. Kevin Costner and Val Kilmer are the better Earp and Holliday than Russel and Quaid. Tombstone has better quotes though.

Yep just getting ready to say it

The correct answer is The Searchers and it ain’t even close! High Noon, Unforgiven, Shane, Once Upon A Time In The West, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, Django Unchained are up there as well.

Someone with a fine taste..pale rider is also another fav. Awesome shootout..

Although I love Tombstone and the original Magnificent Seven (the remake was good too)
I’m a sucker for the spaghetti westerns....
The Good, Bad and the Ugly is my favorite. Sergio Leone (director) had such a great / unique approach to filming at that time

I love the classics, but my favorite is Open Range.
I really liked Robert Duvall in this movie, and Costner walking up to that guy and shooting him in the head was a bad @ss move!

Back